• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor still starts with the kill lanyard disconnected

It's a console boat and I was still able to start it with that clip on the lanyard not connected,

Aren't they supposed to not start unless that kill clip is connected? Is it something that should be corrected now or can it wait till I store the boat in late fall?

What you want to see is if it is connected and the motor starts and runs, then disconnect and see if it stops.

It should start if disconnected. Picture a situation where the lanyard is connected, the driver is thrown from the boat, the clip comes disconnected and comes off in the water. You would still want the boat to start once the driver climbed back in.

What you want to see is if it is connected and the motor starts and runs, then disconnect and see if it stops.

It should start if disconnected. Picture a situation where the lanyard is connected, the driver is thrown from the boat, the clip comes disconnected and comes off in the water. You would still want the boat to start once the driver climbed back in.

So it should still start even with the clip not connected? I always assumed they wouldn't

Not mine........ It's a kill switch, not a smart switch.

Try bypassing the switch and hard wiring it together. Once running pull the wires apart and see if it kills. If so, the switch is bad.

Guess, I can not speak for every motor, but my 1999 115 Evinrude will start and run without the clip in place. If it is there when started, pulling it out will stop the motor.

On mine the lanyard sits in switch so when pulled it pulls the switch down stopping the motor but you can manually push the switch up with out a lanyard and it reengages so it would start again.

I've got a 2011 Merc 115 and when the clip is out it will not start. The clip is located on the throttle control. One time it unknowingly slipped off. When I launched the boat and hit the key ---"nothing" I messed around checking just about the whole ignition system before I figured that out. Just another day on the water; Eh~!!

If it runs or starts without the lanyard connected, there is a problem. That means the circuit is OPEN. It's a ground to kill system meaning the the clip holds the switch in the open position and when removed it completes the circuit to ground, thus grounding the ignition

Depends on what style switch you have.

I can run without the lanyard/clip but I have to flip the toggle switch.

With lanyard in place, if you pull it out, it flips the toggle and kills the engine as its designed to.

When you put the clip back in you have to flip the toggle as that is what keeps the clip in place. That type of kill switch you'll see on some Mercs.

Depends on what style switch you have.

I can run without the lanyard/clip but I have to flip the toggle switch.

With lanyard in place, if you pull it out, it flips the toggle and kills the engine as its designed to.

When you put the clip back in you have to flip the toggle as that is what keeps the clip in place. That type of kill switch you'll see on some Mercs.

Good point, my Merc has the same flipper.

My older Merc is like Leech and ST mention. My new one, on a pontoon, I honestly am not sure, will have to look as it is different style. But really, a safe kill switch SHOULD be one that just kills the motor when the lanyard is pulled, but that CAN allow the motor to be started again without it. I.e. if a guy falls overboard, it take the lanyard with it. Someone else on board should be able to start that motor to go pick up the guy, or get out of danger, etc.

If you NEED the lanyard to start it, and the lanyard is attached to a guy, floating unconscious, and you are drifting towards a dam... you up a creek wink That is not all likely, but I hope motor CAN be started without a lanyard/kill attachment, or at least people know how to use a hemostat or soemthing to start the motor. I gotta check my pontoon next time up...

Ok this is embarrassing blush

I ran it with the clip in place, pulled the clip, it quit. Then I restarted it without the clip and it started right up. Did it one more time, same thing.

I guess I assumed wrongly that you must have the clip in all the time for it to start. But it does quit when the clip is pulled

Thanks to all those who replied.

Ok this is embarrassing blush

I ran it with the clip in place, pulled the clip, it quit. Then I restarted it without the clip and it started right up. Did it one more time, same thing.

I guess I assumed wrongly that you must have the clip in all the time for it to start. But it does quit when the clip is pulled

Thanks to all those who replied.

Here I will make you feel better. wink

When I got my new boat with a Merc years ago, I brought it all the way down from our campground in Brainerd to a family outing by Clear Water. Had a ton of little kids that wanted to go tubing all lined up. Dumped it in the lake and went to start it. Nothing! frown I had just loaded it hours ago? Put in new plugs, check the gas tank and lines no go. Lots of bummed out kids! cry Brought it all the way back up to Brainerd where I bought it when they opened at 7:00am first one there! Explain the issue to the service guy. He said let me see something? Went out, flipped up the safety switch and said, "that will be $35 bucks" Uugg! shocked

I must have hit the switch when I was wiping it down with a rag, never happened again! Now, do you feel better? tacklejunkie. grin

Here I will make you feel better. wink

When I got my new boat with a Merc years ago, I brought it all the way down from our campground in Brainerd to a family outing by Clear Water. Had a ton of little kids that wanted to go tubing all lined up. Dumped it in the lake and went to start it. Nothing! frown I had just loaded it hours ago? Put in new plugs, check the gas tank and lines no go. Lots of bummed out kids! cry Brought it all the way back up to Brainerd where I bought it when they opened at 7:00am first one there! Explain the issue to the service guy. He said let me see something? Went out, flipped up the safety switch and said, "that will be $35 bucks" Uugg! shocked

I must have hit the switch when I was wiping it down with a rag, never happened again! Now, do you feel better? tacklejunkie. grin

I was ready to haul it to the mechanic. Had it hooked up and ready but a little voice in my head told me to try it before I go

It has happened to everybody who owns or has owned a boat smile

Same as trying to push it off trailer, and it won't go, only to have the light bulb go off that you forgot to take tie downs off! haha! I floated a trailer with my boat when trying to show off to a friend.... embarassing... haha!