• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new to bunk style trailer

weld1

This will be my first boat to have a bunk trailer. I have launched the alum boat from the roller tailer many many times and im wondering what to watch for and for any helpful hints? the new boat is a skeeter mx1825. thanks!

I have bunks and sometimes they can be a pain at shallow launches as you need to get them in a little deeper to "float" the boat off. Especially if the bunk carpet is dry. There's really no back up quick and hit the breaks launching with a heavy glass boat and dry bunk carpet. But they do go down the road pretty nice.

At the end of the day when you back your trailer into the water back it all the way in and get the whole bunk wet and then pull forward to your sweet spot . If the bunk is wet it will load much better and you wont need spray lube .

I don't like the spray lube because it makes my boat squirm around while trailering. I just make sure to get the bunks wet before loading as mentioned above. I say try it without the lube for a while and see how it goes.

I did add a couple plastic slip guides on the very end of the bunks, which was perfect. They also protect the carpet on the end of the bunk from wear.

I use the Gunk brand because that's what's at Fleet Farm.

As far as being biodegradable, it is dry when the bunks go in the water and I've never seen an oil slick like you get from most petro products when the trailer is in the water. But it is something to check out.

If you Spray your bunks there well be a fair chance you will dump your boat off the trailer at the ramp. I've seen it twice and it's a major pain getting your boat back on the trailer. Practice and find your sweet spot and you'll love that bunk.

I put the ez slide pads on my trailer over 20 years ago and give them a big thumbs up. Many a time I have had to launch my boat in some skinny water and I can push the boat right off. Loading is a snap and once you learn your sweet spot they make it even easier.

thanks for the ideas guys, I did a little research and it says if its a fiberglass boat over 1500lb the ezslides should not be used so I guess that rules that out or did I miss something?

thanks for the ideas guys, I did a little research and it says if its a fiberglass boat over 1500lb the ezslides should not be used so I guess that rules that out or did I miss something?

Fiberglass needs to be supported the full length or it will over time imprint the small pressure areas into the hull. That's why most heavy glass boats are on a bunk trailer.

Yup I checked too, looks like the glides will mess up your jell coat if you are over 1500#, well back to the drawing board for ya.. Just have to get some practice in loading and unloading, seems to be that would be a good reason just to get out and fish more!

If you Spray your bunks there well be a fair chance you will dump your boat off the trailer at the ramp. I've seen it twice and it's a major pain getting your boat back on the trailer. Practice and find your sweet spot and you'll love that bunk.

You just have to treat it like a roller trailer and not unhook the boat until it is over water on the ramp, and tighten up the winch strap before pulling out.

At the end of the day when you back your trailer into the water back it all the way in and get the whole bunk wet and then pull forward to your sweet spot . If the bunk is wet it will load much better and you wont need spray lube .
Exactly, you will never want another roller trailer again in my opinion.

Clown. Just keep a close eye on those, as they do wear down. A buddy had them on his Ranger. Worked great till he realized they had worn down and the screw heads were tearing up the bottom of his boat!

Clown. Just keep a close eye on those, as they do wear down. A buddy had them on his Ranger. Worked great till he realized they had worn down and the screw heads were tearing up the bottom of his boat!

Great to know, thanks!

I only put them at the back of the trailer so I have quit a few spares from the kit.

You just have to treat it like a roller trailer and not unhook the boat until it is over water on the ramp, and tighten up the winch strap before pulling out.

You are 100% correct, but sometimes people forget or someone else launches your boat. I'll never own another roller trailer, the bunk is just way to easy to put in and out of the water. With that being said, I don't launch from real skinny water ramps either.

You are 100% correct, but sometimes people forget or someone else launches your boat. I'll never own another roller trailer, the bunk is just way to easy to put in and out of the water. With that being said, I don't launch from real skinny water ramps either.

I've owned 3 roller trailers and have had my present bunk trailer for 6 years and I agree completely. I will never own another roller trailer!

I have had my ez pads on for over twenty years and I don't see any wear on them. But you do have to keep an eye on the screws that secured them to the bunks. I did have one back out and scrape the bottom of my hull, it was an easy fix as I just screwed it back in. Just something else I make a visual check of when loading and unloading my boat. Another tip for bunk trailers is to get the carpet wet, if you don't want to back the boat into the lake and pull it back out to the sweet spot just splashing some water on the carpet of the bunks helps. Again not a problem for me as I load and unload in a lot of skinny water and end up putting the boots on to crank the boat up the last couple of feet so I am in the water already. A bucket of water does the same thing.