• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone spear from a quickfish or similar portable shack

aquafang

Have some areas where it is nearly imposible to get my spear shack on. Just wondering if anyone uses a quickfish hub type shack to spear? Any tips on using one?

Thanks!

I spear out of an Eskimo Fatfish insulated. It works great. I have a full fold out floor in mine.

I built a floor for mine, qf3 and I don't use anything else and won't. Floor helps keep your feet off the ice, keeps it warmer inside. And instead of outing snow on the flaps, I tuck them under my floor, - no light leak or drafts coming in. 48x28 hole and plenty of room for 2 and 3 even. QuickFish is one of the darkest hubs out there. Well worth the money for a portable spear shack.

I too spear from my original (7 years old) green QF-III. Its definitely not a bad house to spear out of and provides plenty of room especially since I like to cut a big hole. It does allow a little light in but for $150 what do you expect, that's why I prefer to use my canvas collapsible when possible. Like stated above, been also angling from my QF-III for 7 going on eight winters and have never, not once had anything for a floor and I use the house 40-50 times per year. Ive got good footwear/socks and want to stay as mobile and light-traveling as possible.

full-32630-40268-2012_12_22_20_09_26_756

full-32630-40269-2012_12_02_16_36_09_426

I used 2x2's and 1/2" plywood. 30"x48" hole.

This floor is from my QF4 that Merk now has. I bought a Fatfish 949I that is nearly 8 foot square at the base. I had to build the floor in 2 pieces so I could get it in my 6.5' pickup box and get the tailgate shut. Floor looks the same except there is another piece that is 1 1/2' wide that lays next to the big floor.

I spear out of a QF3 it is the newer red one with black on the inside works pretty good i built a floor for it for under $20 and love it. Now i wish i wouldnt have dropped the money on my portable i built and bought a insulated fatfish instead

I've been using a hub house for about six years. They work just fine. I use a piece of carpet for a floor, not as nice as a wood floor, but it works.

While I agree a wood floor may be a bit more comfortable, I also use carpet. It's much lighter and more portable, it's quieter, and it keeps your feet off the snow/ice and prevents you from slipping around after the heater runs for a while. I also use a QF-III with a $15 piece of indoor/outdoor carpet. Works great.

I suppose I should chime in here (considering my handle). I really like my QF3. Definitely need some kind of floor covering be it carpet or whatever. I personally prefer having a floor (thanks for your help on that end Laska) keeps your feet warm and makes getting close to the edge of the hole a little less spooky.