• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Out of state hunts on a budget??

lungdeflator

I live in ND and already hunt out of state in MN. Looking for something different.

What would be good options for an out of state bowhunt?

Some things I would consider: Lottery tags vs OTC? Public land vs. getting permission on private? Price of tag? Hunting pressure? Time of year?

What are your thoughts on South Dakota? Wisconsin? Iowa? Nebraska? Saskatchewan? Ontario? Manitoba? Missouri? Montana?

Thanks, really curious to see what people think or have had experience with

Montana jacked up their non-res tags a few years ago. Kinda put the brakes on it for me and my dad. Idaho is still reasonable, as is Colorado. I'd go there for elk. If you can find an area in MT that has high whitetail numbers but hasn't been crushed by EHD then you can get doe tags over the counter for about $50. Makes for a fun hunt if you don't care about antlers. That saved our washed out elk hunt one year.

Wisconsin has good non-res Whitetail tag prices, but deer numbers are down across the midwest. Personally if I was in ND I would be going west before I ran east to hunt MN or WI.

If its on a budget I would think about Wisconsin or Missouri, I think they are both over the counter and reasonable. Iowa is wicked expensive and can take years to draw. Depending on what you want out of your hunt I think Canada requires you hire a guide. Being from MN one of these years I want to head to ND for the early bow season. grin

What animals are you asking about? Are you only interested in deer of do you want to chase something else? Any thoughts on what "on a budget" means? What's your max cost for this hunt?

Answering these questions will help us to be able to offer helpful info...

Mostly looking at whitetail hunts. I'm willing to camp or stay at the cheapest hotel around so I'm hoping to get by with just tag cost, gas, food, and minimal lodging. It would probably be limited to a long 4-5 day weekend. Obviously the further I drive the more it's going to cost in gas, but if I save money on tags (ie Missouri) and camp somewhere then driving to Missouri would be worth the extra gas cost.

If you're looking for whitetail info, I'm not your guy on out of MN or ND hunts. When I leave those two states I'm looking to hunt something different than whitetails. I LOVE whitetail hunting, but when I venture away from home I prefer to try my hand at something new and different. Personally, I think people would have more fun if they left their comfort zone and took this approach, but different strokes for different folks. Good luck on getting whitetail info- lots of informed and in-the-know people around here, so I'd guess you'll get some helpful info.