• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lab breeder recommendation

hydrashack

Looking for some advice or recommendations.

I lost my lab this past summer to cancer and looking for a replacement this upcoming spring. Not looking to break the bank and the dog doesn't have to have a 22 generation field champion bloodline. I am looking for dogs that display and have been checked for good eyes, hips and elbows and the parents are hunters and good family labs.

My last lab was an American lab, not dead set on American again, but I don't want a sub 60 pound dog either.

If anyone can share their experiences and has recommendations I would much appreciate the insight.

Thanks,

Shack

I have gotten British labs for my last 2 dogs. I love them, perfect house dogs. Mellow temperament, They work hard, and listen well. Very smart, and easy to train. I got mine from River Valley British Kennels in LeSueur MN.Tom and Lori are very good, down to earth people. They also train dogs as well.

I believe a lab is a lab, and they come in three colors with black being the most common, and you can find the same traits in dogs that come from both sides of the pond, I live with 4 of them in the house all american and from so called high strung FT lines, these dogs stay uncrated 9 hours a day while were at work and there fine, they have a off switch when there not working. I have nothing against the brit dogs just how there marketed by the people in the states that buy and breed them, their no different than any other lab. If your looking for a pup in the spring look into your local retriever club, ask who is having any litters, they will be able to point you in the right direction, some of the best litters out there are from "hobby" breeders that have a litter every couple years, run HT or FT and hunt there dogs. These itters will almost always have health all the health clearences and puppy's will be from proven parentsd that can do the work. Where are you located? Send me a PM and I most likely will be able to help you in finding a puppy..

I believe a lab is a lab, and they come in three colors with black being the most common, and you can find the same traits in dogs that come from both sides of the pond, I live with 4 of them in the house all american and from so called high strung FT lines, these dogs stay uncrated 9 hours a day while were at work and there fine, they have a off switch when there not working. I have nothing against the brit dogs just how there marketed by the people in the states that buy and breed them, their no different than any other lab. If your looking for a pup in the spring look into your local retriever club, ask who is having any litters, they will be able to point you in the right direction, some of the best litters out there are from "hobby" breeders that have a litter every couple years, run HT or FT and hunt there dogs. These itters will almost always have health all the health clearences and puppy's will be from proven parentsd that can do the work. Where are you located? Send me a PM and I most likely will be able to help you in finding a puppy..

Couldn't have said it better, especially the part about the Brit labs . . . so true. My labs have all had the shift in gears, mine is always in the off position when in the house but when I pull out a gun or a dummy it's go time. Great breed, can't imagine a better dog . . .

I picked up a Wire Hair at 6 months old a couple weeks back. Although he's all pizz and vinegar right now, there's something about the intensity these dogs hunt.

I also have a Black Lab. She's the most laid back dog while in the house but as others have said, the site of a gun and it's go time.

Those beautiful black dogs have been in my soul for more than sixty years. I know there are other colors; that's fine for you fellas and no demeaning comments from me.

Get a good dog from decent breeding and you'll be fine.

So long as it's all Labrador and all black! Hee Hee!

ditto to what Mr. Caswell said.

I can only add that you should look into the breeder and get as much info as you can get. Do your homework/research and visit a handful prior to getting your pooch...references too if you can.

One of the guys that hunts with us got a dog via "word of mouth". Made the mistake of taking the whole family when he got the dog as well.

Dog is beautiful but is a turd eater when it comes to hunting. Little did he know that the pedigree he got his dog from is all show type dogs. Totally his fault but he relied on others telling him to get it from this particular breeder. Again...do your home work.

Best of luck.

daSwede

Who is the parents of your dog. That is a nice looking dog.

Sam and Addie (if you want registered names, I can find them for you). Addie is no longer being bred. She had an infection after she gave birth and had to be fixed. dam shame because as amazing a dog as Sam is, Addie was the reason why we went with that litter!

My lab Keno came from a Dokkens Oakridge kennels line in Northfield. If I were to get another I would not hesitate to use them again. There are many good breeders and getting a pup is a long term commitment so as many have mentioned find one YOU are comfortable with. Good luck with your decision and new pup when you get one.

They contacted us about brokering one of our litters. Would have actually been a pretty good deal for us. Only thing I didn't like in their agreement was having to sell with full registration. We prefer to sell limited and then lift upon proof of hips and eyes being checked. The agreement they showed us stated that any puppy we sold them would then be resold with a training package. That was the litter our QAA came from so my one time experience with them leads me to believe they deal with good litters.

They contacted us about brokering one of our litters. Would have actually been a pretty good deal for us. Only thing I didn't like in their agreement was having to sell with full registration. We prefer to sell limited and then lift upon proof of hips and eyes being checked. The agreement they showed us stated that any puppy we sold them would then be resold with a training package. That was the litter our QAA came from so my one time experience with them leads me to believe they deal with good litters.

Thats basicaly what happened here as well, I know they don't deal with EIC or CMN carriers, has to be a clean littler I spose that way there are no questions down the road. Great deal for the breeder, get full price no questions asked, and you are pretty sure the puppy's are going to a good hunting home, and will at least get some type of training. I think Bill sold them 6 one time $800.00 puppy's resold for $1200.00 that includes a 30 day training program, guesing they hope to get some of them back for further training or keep them longer than 30 day's. Tom was a smart man when he got out of training FT dogs and went to gun dogs and hunters, larger market with ALOT lower expectations..

Certainly who is your dog out of?

The Sire is a Chocolate and the Dam is a black. All the pups from the litter were black.

The sire: Storms Riptide Star/ Gusto's Foxy Lady - Dream Catchers Nothing To It(sire) /Nans Dools OD Won/Mariha Jade II/ Nan's Captain Morgan Ladymac - then the sire to mine is DCM Blizzard of Oz.

The Dams line: Moon Rivers Magnum of CC/Sadie B of Cripple Creek - Waterfowl Dream of CC Candlewood Court Jester/JW's K-Cricket-K - Autums Flight Big Smoke then Dam to mine is CJ's Blazin Sundance.

Not sure if you are familiar with any of them. Both of my dogs parents are buddy's dogs they got them from Dokkens and sold the pups through his puppy program except mine and my brother has one. Neither my dog or the parents are FT dogs. Just good old hunting/family dogs.

It's my first real hunting dog so I don't have a lot to compare but I have been very happy. I did send her for additional training through Dokkens and consider it money well spent for us both. smile