• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who hunts the late season?

maros91

Thanks guys, I don't have a food plot or a good cornfield to sit by. The spot I sit is a really good bedding area. Some guys wouldn't sit a bedding area but I get there before they do so it's a waiting game. When I came back to retrieve her she had six deer bedded feet from where she laid. They moved in late morning.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's over for me. Saw a bunch again last night but only one fawn in range, just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on her.

Anyone still sitting in this cold deserves to shoot one. Good luck!

4 weeks ago I thought I was done with the bow season. I had shot four does and have not shot a buck yet. I was happy with my season but disappointed to not harvest a mature buck. Hunting in zonr 227 I still had a tag left. as the snow fell deep in early december I waited. By mid December I had one farm with 30 deer coming out to the field. The farmer gave me permission to shoot whatever I wanted and he hoped I did so. I waited for the right wind which was SE. Finally a couple nights ago I got that wind. I decided I was going to shoot the first deer that came. I set up on the ground behind a tree and waited. That first deer happened to be a 6 pointer. I knew being on the ground I had to shoot the first deer I saw.he came in at 20 yards I drew back and I drilled him. A double long shot right behind the front shoulder and he face planted in a foot and a half of snow. It's the smallest buck i've shot in a long time but it was very rewarding.something about shooting a deer with a bow and arrow on the ground in late December it just doesn't get any better. I've shot lots of big bucks and this one even though it was small was very fun. my computer right now is not working great I've got some great pics and I will post them as soon as I can get my computer fixed. We are going to hunt the same field tomorrow night for the last time and see if we can make it happen again. Good luck to everybody else if you go out to end the year.

Thanks guys.....

We I'm an hour away from my last hunt of the year. Four of us are going tonight on 2 different farms. Both look really really good. All of us hunting on the ground. And picking thecspot on arrival. Both fields had good number of deer in them last night at 445.

Its a long shot, everyone's excited, always fun to group hunt. I'll report back in a couple of hours.......

I seen another 20 or so today, none would come in range though, closest one was 70 yards.

Watched them all paw around in the snow diggin out acorns and wrestlin around with each other. Almost called one of them in with a doe bleat but they all went down the valley instead of cutting across by me.

We did well. Just got in.......

We all came close, 5 different times one of us was at full draw. 2 arrows were let go. One scored!! Yhe other hit a branch and sailed into the swamp.

We had decided only really really good shots were to be taken. Three shots were passed on at 30 to 35 yds.

I'll try to post pics in morning.

Its officially over for me as I'm heading out with family in morning for new years.

Good luck to anyone who hunts tomorrow!!

Congrats CJ. Those are some awesome pics. It must be rewarding harvesting any deer this time of year. I still have not done it. Not from lack of trying. I put in countless hours this late season and only saw deer once. I can't complain as I arrowed two does earlier in the season. I'm done this year and can't wait until I get back in the stand next fall. Good luck to all who venture out today. Time to start up the hard water season for me. BC

What a great end to the 2013 season last night was. It was dead calm, frigid cold, and beautiful out. Its always fun when you have others to share your experiences with as well. The four of us got set up at 4:00. Basically the action started right away. Most of us came close but elected to pass on shots that weren't perfect. One guy hit a tree branch and sailed the arrow into the swamp. The other shot taken was a direct hit!!! He thought he hit it low so we waited till 9 to go for the recovery. After a short track job she was piled up at around 120 yds. We shared some fist pumps and laughs. What a fun moment that was!!! We got her back to the house and cracked a couple of beers and quartered her up. It was a late night when I finally laid down, but well worth it.

20131230_214726_zps50381d79.jpeg20131230_215339_zpsdfd241ef.jpeg

Sat tonight going to make Tag soup to warm me up!

Seen 7 just could not get a shot, deer looked nice and healthy though. Frustrating when they are 10 yrds from you and you can't get a clean shot, but pretty cool when your on the ground lookin at them.

Time to wait for next year.

Put a couple hours on stand new years eve. Without exagerating put up close to 100 turkeys in corn when I scooted by the corner of the field. Talk about racket!

Got in stand and about 45 mins later saw a doe working in the corn. I am 50 yards from the field in the woods but have a little opening out to the field. Figured it was now go time and they would begin to filter out to the field. The next hour was filled with turkey after turkey flying up to roost all around me. Man that is loud in a cold woods with no wind. One bunny came hopping down the bunny trail to the corn and that was it! Dang! I was confident this was going to be a slam dunk!

On a side note, this was the first 'real' test for my new IWOM suit. The last time I wore it, it was +20 degrees. I can honestly say I was not cold in the least. anywhere! I only had on a pair of jeans, my early season camo pants over those and on top, a t shirt, fleece pull over and uninsulated zip up jacket. It was -17 when I got back to the truck after hunt. It was -11 when I started. There are a couple of things I am going to call the inventor and suggest to him for changes, but all in all I look forward to more days on the stand and longer days on the stand next year.

Good Luck!

Ken