• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter

Yesterday while muzzleloader hunting by a swamp type lake with alot of marshes, I heard a sound behind me. I turned to look and here were 2 black little creatures running and playing in the weeds.

I have never seen any otter in the woods and they were sure to watch, must have been play time for them as it was about 3 pm. Both were jet black.

Are all Mn otter black and how common are they in southern Mn?

Sure wish I would have taken out my cell phone and took some pic's as they were only about 10 yards from the tree I was in.

Here's one I trapped last fall. I live on a chain of small lakes, and last year there was a family of five living on the lake adjoining my property. They have the nicest fur of any of the weasel family, in my opinion - very fine and silky smooth.

full-850-40080-otter.jpg

Otters are becoming a lot more common in the area. In the last year I've seen and heard of a few in the New Prague/Jordan area along the creeks. One was dead on the road just outside of New Prague last spring. There is an otter trapping season in the area now.