• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New handgun - advice on a few models

I just sold a couple 20 gauges that I don't use anymore, and have about $475 sitting doing nothing. I know I could use it for xmas presents, but want to trade those two bangs for one handgun bang smile

I suppose my limit is about $500, or there about. I don't need new, and haven't shot a lot of pistols. Will likely get a 9mm since it will mostly be a plinking or just general range gun, not really hunting or self defense.

First choice would be a S&W .357, since I have shot these and really like them. But since that is prolly out of question due to price, I am looking for semi-auto 9mm, one that shoots nice and comfortable and relatively accurate.

Friend (former Beretta rep) recommended a M9 (I found new for about $480ish) or Springfield regular or XD models, he really likes their guns and said the company is top notch. I will go and get my hands on them, but wondering about any other suggestions to look at. My hands are fairly big but not huge (I am 6' and about 260 so not huge but not that small, ha!)

I have shot Glocks at the range before, and really liked them. I shot a 1911 .45 and didn't really like it, so not sure the 1911 is my cup o tea.

My bro in law has a Hi-Point, and they are pretty cheap dollar-wise. But I made a mistake in buying cheap once, and not sure I want to do that again. The reviews I read are not glowing... and he did say he clipped his thumb a few times, which I don't want.

I was really surprised at the prices of handguns, as I haven't really looked at them for about 10 years. Is there a general rule of thumb as to what a used price is compared to retail? I.e. like 15% less than new or something? Also any recommendation of shops in NE metro? I have shot at Bills and my brother had good experience with used shotguns there. Have bought at Joes too (back when they were on Dale), but only shotguns and last experience was in the new place was nothing to write home about.

Thanks for any advice, on the above models or others, or the process of picking one out. I do have my permit to purchase, though I have to check, i might be close to my one year, and maybe will just get carry permit if I am expired.

if you shop around you can find a new Ruger SR9 for around your target price. they are nice handgun. I had the SR40 and was going to get a SR9 too but then got out of handgun shooting. another nice ruger that is now discontinued but can still be found used is the P89 or P94 (the P94 was also offered in .40S&W so double check it if you find a P94) the P series of Rugers has been replaced by the SR series. the Springfield XD's are really nice too. the Taurus PT-111pro is a nice smaller 9MM that is a nice size for a carry gun.

Thanks Brad. I was doing a little internet searching, and I think I will stop by Bill's and rent a few models, and go from there. Just checked and my permit is still good through to next year, so once I collect my cash from the second shotgun sale, I will have to satisfy my itchy trigger finger wink Looks like they have lots of used stuff as well, so that will help try to keep in budget.

The ruger p series are great guns. Very reliable and have a thumb safety. If you are looking new be aware many of the newer handguns do not have a manual thumb safety. You will see mine on arms list soon as I am going to upgrade to an all polymer gun that is much lighter. The ruger is a tank and reliable but not really built to carry everyday for someone my sized.

I bought a S&W M&P 9mm about a year ago and love it. It shoots great and has different sized palm swells that you can change out to get the best fit for your hands. Scheels in Fargo has them for 529. I got the pro series which has better sights, trigger, and barrel and they're 100 more.I have been very impressed with everything about this pistol from the way it shoots to disassembly.

Keep an eye out for a used S&W model 19 or a 66 if you prefer stainless. They can be found at prices within your budget. No hillary hole, no MIM parts. Might even be able to find a pinned and recessed model.

I have no idea what pinned and recessed means smile

Thanks every body, my list is getting longer, haha! Tom I will check out Wolf's Den for sure. Never been in there... (we still have not hit BE, maybe on ice this ice season?)

Well, I found a great condition S&W from a friend, and I think it is the model 66. It has 6" barrel and wood grips and SS, and matches exactly the pics I see of the 66 on the gun broker sites. He says it hasn't been shot much at all, and he doesn't need two (he has another in nickel, 4" barrel, that he would sell me if I wanted for the same price) and he will sell it to me for my budget, but only my price, said it would be a hundred at least more for anyone else, so I am getting a break - I helped him on a couple side jobs this summer for free labor...

So I think I have my first handgun purchase, but also think it will end up being the first of a few in the upcoming years, as my wife wants something smaller (first time I ever heard that!!!) and I liked the 9mm offerings in the advice you all gave me.

Kinda liked the SR9 but need to see about a smaller one that might work better if I get the carry permit, or see what works for both wife and me. Thanks all!

My favorite is the CZ 75 SP01 Shadow for target shooting but not necessarily a good carry gun. I also would not rely on a standard CZ75 without some work done to it. After some polishing and spring changes they are truly fantastic.

For all around use I like the plastic guns the best as they are much easier to carry and still accurate enough. I have the Taurus PT111 9mm and three S&W M&P 9mm's in various configurations. If your wife and you both plan to shoot it the adjustable palm swells are nice.

Box if you want to try any of them I plan to be in Emily just before Christmas.

Box, nice find on the 6" Model 66. I would be inclined to pick up the 4" barreled model for an all around carry gun, if it's available. The 6" barrel is a fine range gun, and there is no issue, as far as I'm concerned, carrying a revolver with that long of a barrel. Eventually you'll need to go out and pick up a S&W 642, or a 640, for a pocket revolver to compliment the model 66.grin Get a snubby without the internal lock. I am a Ruger revolver guy, but there is nothing wrong with a S&W, at all. I like my S&W 686. Yea, I do like revolvers.

Thanks again guys! I need to check the SR9C for sure, and want to grab the Glock again, and the S&W M&Ps, but next one will be a while down the road, and need to make sure my wife picks what she likes, so the smaller versions likely be the ones.

Hntnbox, I will be up there the weekend of the 20-22, not sure if you are there that weekend. Will be sledding with my stepson, and we go over Emily way. If you are up there then, maybe we could meet up. I know Saturday is "put the shack out" morning.afternoon. Or since I won't be buying soon, maybe some time this spring when weather is nice and you are up smile Thanks!

Hey guys, ends up my model is 19-4.

I think that means it is nickel not SS, but it is silver. Don't have the serial number handy but it sure looks like the cylinders are recessed. Does that mean it is pinned too?

Seems from what i read that functionally pinned and recessed is no different but it may be a bit more desireable just from a value point.

Thanks

The model 19-4 was produced from 1977 til 1981. It does have a pinned barrel, and the recessed cylinders are the same as counterbored cylinders. S&W dropped the recessed cylinders in 1982 with the 19-5. Model 19's came in blued, or nickel, and the model 66's, which were the later vintage, came in blued, or stainless. Nice find.The Model 19 is the gun that Bill Jordan carried for years. This is the 6" barreled revolver, right, or is it the 4" barreled model?

Thanks for the history rockman! I was trying to read on it over the weekend, but hard to do on a phone with "computer sized" forums, and web pages.

Yes, it is a 6" barrel, my buddy thought it was SS but it has to be nickel. He has a 4" in chrome (or maybe it is truly SS? Next time up I will look at the model # on that one) that is the same, or it at least looks the same but finish is more "shiny", but I wanted the 6". He said that if something ever happens to him and he ends up on hospital bed, that I need to get over there right away to buy it from him wink before any heirs get their hands on it!

BTW, it has what I think is some powder stains (a bit duller) just above the handle under the trigger. What is best thing to clean this up on nickel? Just normal hoppe solvent and cloth?

Thanks much!

A 19-4, nickel finish, with a 6 inch barrel.grin It brings out a smile just thinking about it. Way to go! Yep, Hoppe's, a cloth, and some elbow grease, will be a good way to remove powder residue. I use Bore Tech Carbon Cleaner, and also have a bottle of Hoppe's Elite cleaner, to help me clean up the wheel guns.

Figured I would update a bit smile

The 19-4 is working nice - had to bring it in and they replaced a spring, as it wasn't advancing 100% correctly, but now it seems to be. $45 repair at Wolf's Den, I won't complain.

Now sort of back in the market for a 9mm or something that wife likes, but not a rush. Finally got a chance to shot some, handle more, and found that since I am a left hander, the onces with safety on the left is not for me, I need the "both sides" if it has it. I dug the Springfields, but not their safety...

So far, without wife looking, I really like the SR9C, though I haven't shot it. It feels good, and works with my left hand. Lots of options that is for sure! Need to get wife out shooting with me to decide.

My dad just got a Taurus 66 in .357mag with a 4" barrel. It is an awesome gun for a reasonable price. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of it!

About 3 weeks ago I got a Springfield XDS 3.3" in 9mm for a carry gun. I love it, but it is small and has some serious attitude. If you just want a handgun to have, I'd give strong consideration to any of the bigger XD, XD SC, or XDM models. I'm not a big fan of a manual safety, and all the XD models have a grip and trigger safety. Paid $499.

Glocks are good guns, but the grip angle isn't for me, and I don't want a gun without a grip or mechanical safety.

Lots of other really good ones out there, very few bad options.

Figured I would update a bit smile

Now sort of back in the market for a 9mm or something that wife likes, but not a rush. Finally got a chance to shot some, handle more, and found that since I am a left hander, the onces with safety on the left is not for me, I need the "both sides" if it has it. I dug the Springfields, but not their safety...

So far, without wife looking, I really like the SR9C, though I haven't shot it. It feels good, and works with my left hand. Lots of options that is for sure! Need to get wife out shooting with me to decide.

I have an SR9c...my only complaint is that it takes some serious drawing/dry fire practice to get the muscle memory down on snapping the safety off once clear of the draw. Great shooting gun, but with all the options out there with trigger/grip safeties that are the same size/capacity, I don't necessarily recommend the SR9c for an EDC gun. Great HD gun though with the 17 round mag, grip sleeve, and a light installed.

Can't get more reliable or easier to work on/modify than a Glock 17. Great gun. If you don't like not having an external safety or don't like the grip angle of the Glock then S&W M&P would get my vote.