• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PLEASE Be Careful

Coach1310

Had a good friend take about an 18 foot fall last night. As he was getting out of his portable, the strap snapped on the portable. Fell 18 feet, landed on his feet, then got hit on the head by the treestand. So much force as he fell, he landed on this bow(which was on his pull string, on the ground) snapped his bow in half and forced an arrow through his quiver into his thigh. VERY LUCKY it missed the femoral artery(by millimeters). Possibly has two broken ankles. We are blessed he is in the shape he is in with no head/neck issues and here to tell us the story. Be as safe as possible, always tell someone where you are and what time you expect to be home and take all safety precautions seriously.

Eeeesh! I'm glad to hear he came through that as well as he did- could have been much worse! Still, it sounds like he's very beat up- bummer.

It's a good reminder for all of us- be careful out there. Keep those straps on and go slow and carefully.

When not hunting with my climber, I have a 1/2" rope tied to the tree above my stand all the way to the ground and when climbing up I attach my harness to the rope thru the Prussic knot and slide it up all the way to the top. Leave harness strap on the whole time never having any time not safe from falling!

I just purchased 3 "life lines" from HSS that are the same as what Finlander is talking about because I had heard one too many stories like the one Coach told and decided enough was enough.

I am very happy with the product and the safety they provide. It's a big relief knowing that I'm safe as soon as I step off the ground. I'm not getting any younger and the odds of me taking a misstep here or there when climbing up or down were ever increasing. At first I thought it was going to be cumbersome but it's the complete opposite, they are very easy to use.

Even if you don't want to spend the money to buy the pre-made ones, there's plenty of information out there on how to make your own at likely half the price. I'm about as useless as they come with knots so I didn't take a chance on making my own.

Best of luck to your friend's recovery Coach.

Was this a stand that he left out all season and didn't check the strap before hunting in it?

Scary stuff, I leave my stands out all year but check them each season before hunting out of them, I have some stands where if I fell I probably wouldn't be around to tell the story.

Here's another safety thing I do before getting into a stand that I leave up all year round, I bring a new or in good shape ratchet strap and put it around the stand to insure that the original strap that holds the stand up won't break do to squirrels or weather and the expansion of the tree over a years time. smile

I am continually surprised at all the people who don't wear a harness. In my climber I am strapped to the tree the entire time. When I use a ladder stand I tie off the second I get on the platform. I will be picking up a life line, as I have fallen off the ladder on my way up years ago.

I have about 5 or 6 of the standard seat belt style harnesses (brand new) laying around. Anyone who wants one, and will drive to Shakopee to pick it up, they are yours free. Send me a PM.

Thanks for all the the thoughts. Just to make sure my buddy doesn't get thrown under the bus here.... he fell because the strap on the stand broke while getting out of the stand. He had unhooked his harness to climb down. The biggest lesson learned is just be sure to do all you can to make yourself safe and never assume it won't happen to you.

He is recovery, albeit he is really sore, but considering what could have happened very lucky. He is looking forward to hunting from the ground during rifle season!! smile

Coach, that's great news! I don't think you threw him under the bus at all and it was a needed reminder to all of us of the dangers that tree stands pose. However, I do think that we all need to be more aware that larger danger lies during the climb up and the climb down, as opposed to while we are sitting in the stand. I don't think that gets nearly enough publicity. Now would be a great time to talk him into being attached as soon as he leaves the ground.

Again, glad to hear he's recovering.

I've been bow hunting about 10 years and use my harness all the time (minus a little tree trimming). This morning I'm up about 20 feet with my climber, taking the backpack off and getting all settled in when I look at my safety line and realized that I just clipped into the loop of my safety rope instead of the purissic knot!! I freeze and slowly tie in correctly. Never did that before. So don't forget to double check your lifeline guys!