• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV / Truck Ramps

FrontenacPike

First off, get the longest ramps you can, to reduce the angle going up the ramp. I have 6' ramps for a full size pickup and it is a little scary feeling, always worried about tipping over backwards. Also, I like the tri-fold style ramps as they feel most stable.

Definately agree with securing them. A few years back watched a guy load a sled in the back of the truck in South Metro....once the drive part (aka...the track) hit the ramp....gave it a little more gas and "whoops...there went the ramp"... Left him hanging in an awkward position.

My father doesn't have an ATV...mostly just uses his ramps for his yard tractor but if there is any chance you'd use the ramps for something other than the ATV....also look at the arched ramps. The arch eases the ledge at the top of the ramp which tends to hang up things with lower clearance. (mower deck)

Aluminum are always nice over steel for weight but they are a bit pricier.

I'm looking to pick the brain of you guys that have experience with Ramps to load your ATV into the back of a truck. What are some tips and tricks to using these.

Don't forget to take them off the truck before you back up! That may sound funny and absent minded and it is but it happened to me. Fortunately, I didn't do too much damage to the ramps or my truck. My truck faired very well but I did break the hinges on my bifold ramps and had to put new ones on.

I agree completely with securing the ramps to the truck to prevent them from coming off while loading or unloading.

Use low range when loading so you can drive nice and slow. I've seen guys that think they need to power up the ramps. It's not necessary. Go slow. Your machine has plenty of power to climb up there nice and easy.

I have 2 old snowmobile trailer tires that are on rims. They leak but that doesn't matter at all. I put them up front in my pickup box standing up so when I run my ATV in I run up against them instead of putting my winch hook right through the window in my truck. Then I use 2 ratchet straps behind my ATV to keep it in the truck. I can then slide my ramps in under my ATV. I can also put 3 or 4 pails behind the ATV and ratchet around them when baiting bear or hauling ice fishing stuff... Works great!!!

get the trifold ramps. I had the bi-fold ramps, and they would deflect and cause me to pop a wheelie into the truck. the tri-fold ramps are very strong, and its much easier. make sure you have clearance in the front of your box to the back window. my Yamaha, I had to make a block that my tires would rest against when fully forward, or else the front bumper/brush guard would hit the back window.

I have a tall truck and when I do load into my truck with the ramps I plan it around having a "ditch" around somewhere. If you can have the truck down in the low part and the atv up on the high ground you can drive the atv on without having to drive up a steep incline. May not work all the time but if you plan accordingly that makes it safer and easier.

Thanks for all the suggestions and posts. I have now unloaded and loaded my ATV into the back of my truck several times without any hickups. I made a set of wheel chalks out of some scrap 2x4's so the wheeler cant go through the back window. In the few times loading its obvious you need to secure the ramps to the truck.

Thanks for all the feedback!!!