• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Meow!

Scoot

My buddy Gabe was hunting muleys in Western ND this weekend and had an interesting encounter. Below is his e-mail and picture from the encounter.

I was on a ridge glassing in the evening and below me about 160 yards this decent 4x4 buck jumped out and was snorting, jumping around, looking all over the place. He was really acting squirrely. I had seen this before with a deer out there and it turned out a few coyotes were chasing the deer so I figured it was either coyotes or a mtn lion. The buck ended up taking off but he kept looking back. I stood up to get a better look down into the ridge and this mtn lion was standing there. He saw me right away after I stood up. He ended up going up and over the ridge I was on and got on the other side. That is where I took the picture. He was about 110 yards away from me. It was getting toward sun down and I didn’t really want to the thing to follow me back to my tent so I decided I was going to try and get closer for him to either run the other direction or get close enough for a shot. I sneaked in close enough for a shot. The arrow hit and he jumped sky high. He took a couple leaps in the other direction and looked back at me. I couldn’t see any blood or anything. He then just slinked into the trees in the opposite direction. I wasn’t sure I wanted to go retrieve my arrow but I could see my fletching in my bino’s so I waited a few minutes and went down with an arrow knocked and got it.

Cat_zps82007966.jpg

Cool encounter either way. I think I would have been in the majority and high tailed it out of there. Nice work Gabe for getting a great picture though. Now how did he do on Muley's?

He didn't see anything really big and no shooting.