• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Acorns anybody?

1eyeReD

Scouted a new smaller piece of public this past weekend and found a thick patch of red oaks. I thought I had hit the jackpot, but got in there was no acorns whatsoever.

Much of my reading says white oaks are better, but I figure I'll work with what I got... Either way, no acorns. Just pretty trees well suited for climbing stands.

What gives? Any veterans can help me figure this out?

I can't even walk out of my house with out rolling on the acorns right now, it sounds like it's hailing.

Dang, that's bad news for me! I imagine that'll put a serious damper on my bear hunting this weekend. The landowner where I'm hunting, who has almost a half-century of experience with bears in that area, said to hope for the acorns to drop after the season opens- if they don't hold on that long, it's a dump shoot. Dang!

the oaks at the golf course I frequent have dropped more acorns for this time of the year than I ever remember. Guys that don't even hunt that would maybe never notice are even commenting. Seems to be a perfect storm the past week or so for acorns in the Western Twin Cities. They hurt when the fall on your head without a hat on too.

There aren't any in the fairways I've been told, by the way.

Dang, that's bad news for me! I imagine that'll put a serious damper on my bear hunting this weekend. The landowner where I'm hunting, who has almost a half-century of experience with bears in that area, said to hope for the acorns to drop after the season opens- if they don't hold on that long, it's a dump shoot. Dang!

Scoot,

Collect up your own pile of those acorns and put them on your bait. Why wouldn't a bear come to a pile of acorns plus bonus goodies? Just like a buffet! Less work for more food - exactly what they want.

I have a wind row of burr oak acorns sitting on my driveway right now that I blew on there with my leaf blower. Started scooping them up with a snow shovel and I'm putting them in a bagged trash can that'll probably make it to someone's bait pile this weekend. I can shovel in the dark but can't sift out the grass and sticks so well so it's a day job for me.

I have a wind row of burr oak acorns sitting on my driveway right now that I blew on there with my leaf blower. Started scooping them up with a snow shovel and I'm putting them in a bagged trash can

I know what you mean,I have to keep clearing them off the steps so we don't slip and fall on them.

You gonna sift em too??

I stopped by Menards today and picked up 1/2 inch hardware cloth and made a 36 inch x 72 inch frame but with the cross members 16 inches in from the ends so it has handles or legs or whatever you want to call them.

I stapled the mesh on and went to town. Worked pretty good but plenty of smaller nuts dropped through too so the twin 30 lb+ bags might be a little hully. Not much worse than whats on the ground though. They pop outta the hulls alot when they land. A second run through 1/4 inch cloth would do wonders.

If I had the time I could produce probably another 4 bags easy. Lemme know if you want me to leave out the blower, shovel and sifter for ya! wink

If it's garbage day tomorrow, don't let the girls toss the bags in there. Gotta go by your place on the way in anyway....