• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sudden loss, no clue what happened

CaptainMusky

My 8 year old GSP died tonight. No indication as to why. He was always healthy full of energy but suddenly last night around dinner time he started acting lethargic. My oldest son said he took a tumble down the stairs yesterday and that he was throwing the ball for him in the yard. No noticeable issues until dinner time.

He would just lay on the floor and not even wag his tail. I thought he just pulled something.

The last bit of food he threw up was still whole and undigested.

I am completely shocked! No indication of this at all.

Hug your pets.

My kids are going to be devastated with my oldest probably feeling he was to blame.

I have never seen anything like this. Sad day in our house. Miss you already chester! Lots of good times.

oh man, that's horrible. I can't offer any insight in what may have happened, but can off my thoughts and prayers. I'm a gsp guy myself and have buried a couple good dogs. worry about your son, make sure he knows it wasn't his fault. remember the good times.

Oh shyyt!! That is just awful. A whole bunch of us out here sharing the pain my friend. Must have been something he ate, but who knows.

It is not likely the resutl of anything a family member did.

Very unusual to my mind.

Very, very sad. We lost one EXACTLY the same way. It was a blood clot.

He had an awkward stumble jumping into the boat. Died the next night.

And he was perfectly normal in the period between.

There is absolutely no way to know it is there. NONE. Until it breaks loose.

I hope everyone in your family will understand that. But it's still hard.

Cry, hug, remember the good times, look at pics, smile thru the tears.

And do it all togather.

So sorry to hear about that...Unfortunately, sometimes it happens like that.

My family lost our old Golden Retriever like that. She went to visit the neighbors (their little kids would drop food from the picnic table) and fell over and that was it.

Remember the good times.......no one in your family could have changed what happened. Make sure your kids know that! Take the family out fishing or to do somthing fun this weekend and spend some time together, maybe it will take your minds off the situation.

Your boy is in a better place, probably pointing birds as we speak.

Thanks for the kind words/thoughts everyone! My oldest is taking it very hard. He was a wonderful dog and his years were cut short by something unknown. Twisted intestine comes to mind after some research. It really doesn't matter what it was but it was quick.

We buried him this morning and I threw in some tail feathers the two of us had gotten over the years. So yes, he is absolutely locked in point.

This really ruins my plans for this fall, but me and the boys will probably just walk a few areas.

Captain,

My buddy and I would be happy to set a date to bring our labs to walk some fields with you and your boys this fall if your interested. I know your pup was a pointer but I am sure if there are birds we can get them up for you and your boys. Shoot me a PM if you feel like it. Again very sorry for your sudden loss!

Peace!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my gsp the exact same way a few years ago. He was a happy energetic 6 year old and then one evening he started acting all lethargic. It was crazy, he literally went from normal dog to something seriously wrong in a matter of an hour. We decided it was time to go to the vet when he wouldn't get up for a treat. We went outside to go to the emergency vet and he had bloody, runny stool. He was at the vet for a few days before passing. We never got a solid diagnosis.