• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2005 Crestliner Sportfish 1750 with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke

dustybaker

Does anyone else have this setup? What is your top speed? What prop do you run? I recently dinged my prop pretty good and while calling around the dealerships to get advice on what to go with I was told this setup should run low 40s mph. I only get 35 or so with two guys and gear. I currently have a Yamaha 17 pitch.

This goes for most applications the more top end. A 17 will Prolly be the best all round prop for your boat because of weight. If you go up in pitch your going to loose

Hole shot. But gain top end. Vis versa if you go down in pitch. some prop shops will let you try out and return until you find what fits you best.

I run a 1750 Fishhawk with a Evinrude Fictht 115 and can get up to 39-40 (via GPS not the 45 the speedometer shows) Not sure on the pitch, but I would be amazed if you could get in the low 40's with a heavier boat and heavier motor.

I know someone with a 2001 1750 sportfish with the same motor and he can do roughly around 43. I am not sure but I think he has a 19 pitch stainless on it. I also was in a 1700 fisherman with the same motor and personally saw 42 with 2 of us in it. I have no clue what prop he had but we were at Namakan camping so it would plane fine full of gear and run that fishing with the 2 of us. So I see no reason why you can't run low 40's with the right prop. But I do think if you are gonna see 40's you may need to get a ss prop.

My brother has exactly the same set up. It is a really great fishing boat for the kind of fishing and running we do. We don't know or care what the top speed is-it moves fast enough for us to get where we're going in a reasonable time, planes nicely and gets on step quickly. I don't think he has ever evaluated "hole shot" since he finds it a bass guy affectation more than a practical marine maneuver.

The fellas MAY be right about adding the SS prop. Just keep in mind that when you HIT something with that shiny SS prop you will probably do a whole bucket load more damage to lower unit and engine than with a cheap old painted pot metal prop.

We guess that running at 4500 which is usually where he puts it we are doing about 35mph. But if you go too fast you can't talk about the latest good fishing lures n' stuff 'cause you can't hear.

What you really need to know is what RPM you're turning with your current prop to understand if you're over / under propped.

If you can provide your wide open throttle, when running trimmed out, RPM, that would help immensely.

marine_man

What you really need to know is what RPM you're turning with your current prop to understand if you're over / under propped.

If you can provide your wide open throttle, when running trimmed out, RPM, that would help immensely.

marine_man

Thats what the guy from Hannay's said. He seemed more knowledgeable than anyone else I talked to. Im going out tomorrow with myself, my wife, our 4 year old and another couple and their 4 year old. Then going fishing on Sunday with one buddy so ill have RPMs for both. The guy at Hannays told me the comparable G3 with a Yamaha 115 4 stroke runs 42-44 depending on the load and he thought that boat was as heavy or heavier. Other thoughts he had were that the motor may be mounted too low or the hull maybe out of whack. I'm supposed to call him Monday with the RPMs.

marine_man

When you say trimmed out...what exactly do you mean? Planed out?

"Trimmed out" means the ideal trim setting for the boat and load. To find that setting run the boat at full throttle, bump up the trim bit by bit until the bow is running free of the water. When you trim up too far, the RPM will go up and your speed most likely drops slightly. When you notice that bring the trim down a bit to the sweet spot. The boat in my avatar pic was nicely trimmed out when the picture was taken.

Note that the setting will likely change with load (passengers).

I have a 2004 sport fish with a 140 Johnson 4 stroke and I was told a 21 pitch prop. Rpm of 5200 I think it should be closer to 6000. But a top speed of 40 the other day by myself and fairly calm. Waiting to see what it can do pulling a skier as far as holeshot goes. Seems to have plenty of zip now thoug

I could run 37-38 consistently with with my 2002 Crestliner Sportfish 1850 and 115hp Yami. That was with 2 people, gas, 3 large batteries, gear, etc. Powertech SS prop, I believe it was around an 18 pitch to get me running in the upper 5k rpms, I think right around 5800 when trimmed out. Sold the boat a year or two ago...so don't remember exact details.

Depends, how do you run 80% of the time, with a heavy load and 5 people like yesterday? Or do you normally run lighter with say 1 or 2 people in the boat?

Go and run it WOT with just 2 adults if that is how you fish normally and see where your rpm is at.

You may benefit from moving to a 19 pitch prop, but it will be harder to get up on plane when fully loaded.

I have a smaller boat with a Yamaha 40HP 4 stroke, and I propped it with two people in the boat, runs close to 5800 rpm with normal gear.

If go to 4 adults and add and additional cooler, I only lose about 1 to 2 MPH on the top end but it does definitely take longer to get up on plane.

So unfortunately there is no 1 prop for all. Just prop yourself for the conditions you use the boat 80% or more of the time.

Another thing to keep in mind, the longest distance calculated on Mille Lacs that I can find is 20 Miles, at 36MPH it would take 33 Minutes to cross the lake on its longest point. At 41 MPH you save less than 5 minutes. On most lakes that 5 MPH may not matter much.

Lake Waconia is less than 3 miles in any direction, and that is still a sizable lake, the difference between 36 and 41 is less than 40 seconds difference getting across the lake.

I had it out yesterday with a full boat(5 people, full tank, full cooler) and it ran 34-36 trimmed out at 5700-5800. Maybe I don't need to change props. Any thoughts?

That sounds about right to me. I have an 18' Alumacraft and it runs 35mph at 6,000rpm with a 115 4S with two people.

I don't think you can expect 40's out of that rig.

Reasons to reprop would be to change the handling, hole shot, cornering, planning. I doubt it would do much to improve the top end.

I believe the last two paragraphs of S.Brewer's post are something we should all keep in mind. Do we really need to invest in a screaming, yowling stainless propped marine rocket to run around most of the lakes we are on? Is it practical and prudent or is it just some Macho Marine Madness that has boats LEAPING out of the water to begin travel and then flying across some little lake in three minutes. Or two and half minutes with a bigger engine. Really? For something that is supposed to be peacefull and restful and relaxing like fishing?

I believe the last two paragraphs of S.Brewer's post are something we should all keep in mind. Do we really need to invest in a screaming, yowling stainless propped marine rocket to run around most of the lakes we are on? Is it practical and prudent or is it just some Macho Marine Madness that has boats LEAPING out of the water to begin travel and then flying across some little lake in three minutes. Or two and half minutes with a bigger engine. Really? For something that is supposed to be peacefull and restful and relaxing like fishing?

Would you put small passenger tires on a 3/4 ton truck? They will still get you there, and they will "work"... wink I think the issue is more of trying to get the best performance out of what a person has, not trying to turn a Pinto into a Mustang.

Every motor needs a prop, that is a given. Why not have the best performing prop for the way you use a boat, even if you aren't running WOT all the time? I am no speed demon, but have tested many props on different boats. Trust me, it is more relaxing when you have a well balanced, well performing rig. Just my two cents though, but I won't be putting bicycle tires under my pickup, it just wouldn't be relaxing wink

As I stated in my post earlier i know someone with the same setup as you. He has a 19 pitch ss prop and he can hit 42 maybe 43 but he did say it did take some time to plane. It had a 17 pitch aluminum originally and he did the same as you. So my advice is if you are looking for some more top end I would call Jay at Solderblooms and have him set you up. He lists SS props for around $260 on his HSOforum. I had him tune my prop and add pitch to it and I gained almost 5 mph. I have a 2000 1850 sportfish with a 125 merc on it and it had a 18 pitch SS prop when I got the boat. When I got it, it would run 34 to 35 with 2 people and hit the rev limiter. Jay added some pitch and cup and vented it and it went to 39.7 on the GPS and brought the rpms down some. I still need to get a different prop but that's beside the point. Sounds like to me he could get you a 17 pitch and tune it to add top end and yet still come out of the hole fine. Otherwise like the other guys say 5 mph doesn't make a big difference so leave it if you are happy the way it is. I hope this helps.

+1 on Solderblooms, bought my last two props from them.

and BoxMN, not attacking your post, but no I wouldnt put passenger tires on a 3/4 ton truck. The number of ply's and the design on a LT designated tire is to be able to hold the weight associated. This is more of a safety issue with vehicle tires than a prop being off by 2" pitch.

All I was doing is saying that if you are obsessed with top end speed, a difference of 5MPH doesnt get you there that much faster.

I mean if I was hellbent on getting there the fastest I would have a Ranger 621VS with a 250 to 300HP E-Tec or OptiMax and such. Then we can push the 60MPH range...

My personal experience, in day to day use and in rough water being able to put the boat on plane easily is more important than an additional 3 or 4 mph on the top end.

My boat when I bought it had too much prop under it, and it was miserable to get on plane if I had much weight in the boat. In fact the previous owner thought the motor was garbage and sold it, all the was wrong is the prop pitch needed to be dropped to allow it to hop on plane properly.

That is my 2 cents on the deal.

That was exactly my point too, SB, my reply wasn't aimed at you. I agree 100% with what you are saying smile It is all about proper balancing and equipping what you have for best performance. You need tires, might as well get the proper tires. You need a prop, might as well get the best prop for your uses (not necessarily the fastest, but the best). That's all - my three cents are over. Carry on wink

I stand corrected. I assumed the Crestliner sportfish was close in size to my '04 Alumacraft 175 and that they would run about the same.

Turns out the Sportfish is nearly a foot shorter, 250lbs lighter, and 7" narrower.

Given that, I too would expect the Sportfish to run around 40.

I have a morning fishing trip planned with a buddy Saturday so ill post my stats that night. Weather permitting! I guess what im looking to find is the happy medium. 80 percent of the time ill be fishing with myself and a buddy or two, but I also like to be able to take the wife and kids and friends out on more leisure type trips with tubing and potentially some skiing. So what do you suggest? What do you think the odds are the motor is mounted to low? It was purchased from Rapid Marine in Ham lake.

I stand corrected. I assumed the Crestliner sportfish was close in size to my '04 Alumacraft 175 and that they would run about the same.

Turns out the Sportfish is nearly a foot shorter, 250lbs lighter, and 7" narrower.

Given that, I too would expect the Sportfish to run around 40.

Yes, the boat is 17'1". I have heard others with bigger boats both length and weight and the same motor who can get 40-44. I just assumed something had to be wrong....wrong prop, improper motor mounting, or crooked hull. I'm not trying to be speed demon out there, but I payed alot of money for this boat, it only has 60 hours on it and if its not at its best I wsnt to know why and what I can do to fix it!