• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A couple food plot questions

I'm going to try year 2 of my food plot. The first year went alright, but we didn't get a drop of rain on plot from when it was seeded (in fairly dry soil) until mid October. We got some growth, but not a lot. This year I'm planning on putting in brassica throughout the plot, but I'd like to put something different right down the middle of the plot- just one small strip of something that's equal distance from each side of the plot where my two stands are at. So, my questions are:

1) what is the best date to plant brassica in NW MN?

2) what would be a good choice for a small strip of something that I could seed down the middle of an otherwise brassica plot?

Thanks much!!!

Normally I plant barassica/rape in august however the 6 year drought in the fall has got the best of me. I am in pure sugar sand and I have switched to a clover chicory blend planted in the spring when we get rain and rye grain in the fall.

Mid Aug. for planting and cross your fingers that last fall was a fluke. As far as planing a strip of somehtin else, I guess that's up to you. How big is the total plot? I'll be honest, I've had a lot of luck and useage with just planting Winter Wheat at the same Aug. planting time. Otherwise a mix with cereal/winter rye, winter peas is good as well.

1) what is the best date to plant brassica in NW MN?

2) what would be a good choice for a small strip of something that I could seed down the middle of an otherwise brassica plot?

Thanks much!!!

1) my guess would be Aug. 1st, maybe even July 4th.

2) sorghum???-stuff can grow pretty quick in warm weather, but deer don't eat it much (usually.) I would try some soybeans if you can get a hold of them cheaply and easily. Likely won't get beans planted that late, but it might do the trick.

For your brassicas, I'd try to get them in before a quality rain event somewhere between mid-July and the beginning of August. They're small seeds and can broadcasted on top of lightly scratched soil. It's easy to overseed, so plan on how much you need for the size plot you have.

For the strip in the middle, I'd recommend white clover accompanied w/ winter rye. The clover won't give you much this fall as it'll be putting roots down, but the rye will be a draw and will nurse the clover. Next spring, the clover will be off to a racing start w/out weeds interfering. You could substitute the rye w/ oats as well.

Hopefully this wet cool trend continues into late summer this year and we all have green plots this fall! Last year was sure brutal - my brassicas never got bigger than golf balls. frown

Last year was the first time planting brassicas. I planted them on July 4th, right before a huge rain. They did well until the soybean field near them started to turn yellow. Then the deer switched to my brassicas & wiped out a half acre in a couple days (mid-September).

This year I'm planting an acre of brassicas on June 20th (next week). I'm hoping they will get a little bigger before the deer really attack them.

I vote for clover/winter rye down the middle.

Brad