• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any good canoe trips to report???

I haven't yet gotten up nort' on a trip this year--my early season solo got cancelled due to ice--but I'm hoping I can vicariously live through some other trips.

I've been out on some lakes in the St Cloud area, and I've done a short two-day trip down the Rum River (water is really high), but other than that, the boat has been shamefully dry.

Anyone else been getting out on the water???

STick in the mud,

You've done the little fork? We are doing the same stretch, from Cook to Samuelson park. Is it a nice area, any tips?, what to watch out for. How was the fishing????

Not looking good for a trip this year. We just had our first kid earlier this month so it looks like we'll be altering our normal summer travel plans to better accomodate a little one. Will probably still go camping but my wife and I won't be taking our annual BWCA trip this year.

It's an awesome trip, especially if you like whitewater paddling, as there are lots and lots of Class 2 rapids, some of which are pretty technical (though now, with water levels up, it might be easy just to plow through, I dunno). In lower water, there are lots of boulder gardens, but I suspect they'll all be well underwater at this point as well. Check out the DNR's water trail map for the river for more detailed info.

You'll hear Hannine Falls before you get there; it's the one that is unrunnable by all but the suicidal or the....well, that's about it.

The fishing can be outstanding for walleye and bass, and there are some big muskies in the river, too. Pretty typical river fishing: cast Rapalas into the deep pools after the rapids.

Well, gentlemen, I finally have my own trip to report. I'm heading up to Quetico for eight days to paddle some new water and hopefully to terrorize some local fish populations. I'll report back after I get home on the 14th or 15th.

Well I'm back...and the fish are probably glad I'm gone. smile

I entered into Beaverhouse Lake, paddled south through Quetico Lake, and portaged down to Badwater. Spent most of my time there, taking day trips to nearby lakes (Pelee, Omeme and West Cub, Bee, and Fair). Caught tons and tons and tons of fish, including two 40+ pike and some mid-20's walleyes. Up on Quetico and Beaverhouse I found some smallies and one very small lake trout (my first ever).

The bugs were TERRIBLE. The worst I've ever seen--by far. The only place to be was either in the canoe or in the tent. Thankfully, the weather was nice enough to allow a lot of time in the canoe. smile

Best part: After entering into the park last week Saturday, I didn't see another person until Thursday. Definitely makes it worth that annoying $15/day fee. smile

Well I haven't exactly kept up with the thread I started.

I've had a few trips this year. Three thus far.

One up to Quetico with my dad. Lots of fish.

One to the far east end of the BWCA, entering into John Lake from the Arrowhead Trail. Apart from some nasty big wind on Pine Lake, the trip was fun and the bugs were relatively docile. I did get more or less stuck on Stump Lake looking for a very hard to find (not sure if I ever did find it) campsite. Solo tripping in the dark ain't fun.

Another up to the BWCA, this one a lazy swing out through Kawishiwi, to Polly, up through Little Sag and then out through Sawbill with a (relatively expensive) ride back to Kawi.

I hope yer all getting out there. The bugs this summer (after early July) were better than I ever remember.

I've only got two more trips planned: one up nort' through the Pauness Lakes into LLC and environs, and 2) an annual one I do with the Significant Other, this time into Gabbro...let's hope she doesn't mind another trip in October (our last one we had to paddle out in the dark because of a bear that was more interested in our food than I was. Not fun.).

Well i haven't been able to make it on here for a little bit but me and a buddy did a day trip down the des moines river in sw minnesota and it was a blast. The river was not very deep and we did a lot of pushing with the paddles and actually getting out and walking the canoe but we still got out. Hopefully we will be able to get out this fall once everything slows down and actually make a long trip.

I just got back from a tandem trip with my 13yr old daughter. It is her first trip in the bow. I had originally planned on making a solo trip, but she mentioned interest and I was very willing to share my trip with her.

We entered at Portage Lake from Poplar on the Gunflint Trail. We went west to Long Island Lake and returned through a loop that ended at Meeds Lake. This is an incredibly difficult trip. I have 20yrs experience in the BWCA and this was one of the toughest trips I've made, not the worst, but top 3 for sure, and my 13yr old handled it like a pro. In fact she was pushing me along on the second to last day.

Bugs were good on some lakes and worse on others. Seemed to depend on the campsite. Fishing was ok, but the high heat and the wind made it tough to get much done. We got enough tto have fun, but nothing to eat from it.

I feel blessed to have taken such a tough trip with my daughter and I took home many memories. I'd love to try a fall solo, but we will see.

Just got back from a bit of a whirlwind trip up to the Bdub. My regular canoeing partner has a real job and (a new) offspring, so his time is actually valuable. Thus, we were only able to swing a three-dayer.

Entered into Little Indian Sioux, headed north through the Pauness Lakes, into Loon, up into Section 13 (camped on Day #1), east through Gerald, Thumb, Pocket, etc., south through Ge-be and Oyster, before swinging back west through Lynx, Shell (camped on Day #2), etc. to exit back where we started.

The fishing wasn't all that good for us, but we didn't have much time to find 'em after setting up camp and eating dinner. The fish we did catch were on super flukes, topwaters, and senkos. No great numbers, no great size.

The weather, on the other hand, was spectacular. Light winds, lots of sunshine, no rain (until today, but we were on the way out so who cares), perfect sleeping weather, etc. Couldn't ask for better in September.

I also saw my first BWCA wolf. Who knew there were wolves in MN?!? smile

Sounds like you had a good fun trip. The weather was great as well for a little boat camping trip the Mrs. and I went on last week. I'll be headed up in three weeks or so to the Bdub. Gonna try some duck hunting this time. Eating some fresh duck and fish around an October BW fire grate sounds pretty good right about now. smile