• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Youth shotgun advice needed

Youngest son will be able to hunt this fall. Unlike his older brother, he likely won't be tall enough to start with adult-size shotgun. So what's your advice on a good starter shotgun? Not looking to spend big bucks. Used or new does not matter. He will use it mostly for pheasant, perhaps some duck and grouse. Advice on brands, places to check/shop, etc appreciated. (And, yes, I realize as soon as we buy it he will grow 5 inches.) grin

A youth model 870 20ga. The mossberg 500 bantam,super bantam or the 510 mini is another nice adjustable youth gun.

Ditto but you will be best starting your search now as the price for these guns seem to stay in the higher regions than you might think.

Now if you have a 870 I have a youth stock you could use on it. My brother passed it to me for my sons and if your in need I will pass it to your son. This stock was on my 870 express 12 ga.

Can't go wrong with the Mossberg Super Bantam 20ga. Thats the gun I got my son last year for his first gun. I like that it has the adjustable stock so if he grows 5 inches after you buy it just pop one of the spacers in. I paid 260 at FF last year didn't think that was too bad considering I found some used for around 300.

Thanks for the advice so far...and generous offer, Gordie! Interestingly, my first gun from my folks was a Mossberg...MANY years ago. The safety broke 1-2 times. Gunsmith could fix it, but is that still a problem? Otherwise, these sound like good guns to check out. Any others? Any thoughts on checking out gun shows for these/others? Thanks again.

One more voice supporting the little Mossberg (#500) as a dependable weapon. And when he outgrows it it makes a dandy home defense weapon-short, light and quick.

Of course if this is a first shotgun, have you given any thought to a single shot break open model? Many find it an ideal way to introduce a youngster to hunting with a shotgun.

Thanks for the advice so far...and generous offer, Gordie! Interestingly, my first gun from my folks was a Mossberg...MANY years ago. The safety broke 1-2 times. Gunsmith could fix it, but is that still a problem? Otherwise, these sound like good guns to check out. Any others? Any thoughts on checking out gun shows for these/others? Thanks again.

No safety problems with mine. I bought my Mossberg 12ga used around 10 years ago and it has been problem free. Speaking of the safety, every shotgun made should have it exactly where Mossberg puts it. Waaaaay esier to use and safer IMO.

O have you given any thought to a single shot break open model? Many find it an ideal way to introduce a youngster to hunting with a shotgun.

If you go this route I will recommend a good after market recoil pad. Those little single 20ga have some buck to them. I know I wouldn't want to shoot more then a hand full of shell out of them.

I am in the same boat as herm since my oldest daughter will be taking hunters safety next year. Wondering what optiona are out there. I have looked at the Mossberg 500 bantom and super bantom 20 ga. Also the youth model 870 20 ga. I am steering away from the single shots as they have more kick IMO.

I am leaning more towards a 12 ga but don't know. I have an 870 and 887 already. I like the 887 as the recoil doesn't seem to be as harsh as the 870. Just not sure on LOP.

I would not put a kid (and especially a smaller girl or boy on the small side) into 12 gauge.

I love the 870 youth gun my step son used, it was a great shooter. The mossberg is a decent option and I like the adjustability of their stock, but don't believe it is of the same quality of the 870. Benelli makes a nova too but they are big bucks more than the other two and not worth it in my opinion.

I bought a junior youth model 870 20 gauge for my daughter at GM which was even smaller than a standard youth model. But she alstarted shooting it at 7 years old now 14. My 9 year old daughter is not a fan of the recoil with hunting loads but target loads are fine. I would definitely start them with something smaller like a BB gun and work up to the shotgun if you have not already. Bad habits are hard to break.

I would not put a kid (and especially a smaller girl or boy on the small side) into 12 gauge.

I agree. My 10 year old who is quite a bit thiner than my 11 year old, took a shot with my older sons new 20ga last year and started crying after the first shot. I just told him no big deal you aren't ready yet. I know some people say the recoil is the same with a 20 as it is with a 12 but it sure doesn't feel like it to me. Aside from the recoil that 20 gage is way esier to handle than a 12.

EDIT OF MY PREVIOUS POST: as of today I no longer would endorse buying any Remington product and therefore I remove my recommendation for the 870 youth shotgun and encourage you to buy from a company that appreciates what the 2nd amendment means and who they should be loyal to.

EDIT OF MY PREVIOUS POST: as of today I no longer would endorse buying any Remington product and therefore I remove my recommendation for the 870 youth shotgun and encourage you to buy from a company that appreciates what the 2nd amendment means and who they should be loyal to.

More info please

I think the comment about "Remington" and not recommending them comes from the fact that George Soros (spelling) owns Remington.

George Soros also owns Progressive Insurance. He's a very wealthy man with deep pockets. Mr. Obama has his hands in those pockets.

Mr. Soros wants to change the way of the 2nd Amendment and how it impacts you and I.

You need to read more on George Soros and make your own opinion from here forward. Sad deal...sad, sad deal.

No it is not about George Soros. Remington has decided to expand their business in New York, one of the most ardently anti gun states, and did so after accepting an $80,000,000 contract to produce govt guns. They sold out citizens to join the gun grabbers and I will no longer support them.

Friends, if you stop doing business with every corporation that wants an $80-million contract with the government be prepared to give up a lot of things. Like your pick up trucks, your major appliances, your MRE's (in case of an apocalyptic attack by the SEAL Teams) and a whooolllleee lot of other things.

Business is business. Soros is no better or worse than a couple of the total right wing dudes who finance much of the GOP. Do you recall at LEAST $20-million to Newt last year from ONE guy?

Your right...but i can support company's and groups, organisations that dont infringe on the second amendment.

Side note: Newt wasn't and is not against firearms....thats a big difference right there.

Glad the "vote" was lost by Sen. Reid and company on Wednesday.

Penetrating analysis there. You are right, this is America and you can support any individual, company or cause you choose.

And who said anything about Newt's gun politics-frankly I never gave it a thought.

And the vote was lost because the country is not ready to support that legislation.

Are you okay now?