• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hard cold start

Esox_Magnum

Ok the new to me 700 sportsman dont like to statr in low temps say under 10, will crank and act like battery is run down then an hour later do the same. One the air temps get above say 15-20 it will start and be fine rest of the day. Also starts fine any other time I try it during the week after work... This is always after about a 1 hour haul on the trailer when it wont start... Guessing it's a battery issue since it always has power to start eventualy, also no idea how old the current battery is... Am I on the right track thinking battery? If so whats the best to replace it with for cold weather since thats when it gets used most....Keep in mind it lives on the trailer during ice season coverd...

Weight oil and consider swapping battery for an AGM style. They can be pricey, but they will give you much better cold weather (and hot for that matter) performance.

Is that machine EFI? Manual choke or automatic if not efi?

One thing I learned on my cat which has an automatic choke is to turn the key on and leave it on for like 30 seconds, then turn over. The beeswax inside the electonic choke gets warmed up by electrical current and that takes a bit in colder temps.

Since doing this trick it pops right off before it would crank forever and run the battery down.

Trailering has always caused issues, but I think that is due to gas siphoning back to the tank.

A good battery should help no matter what though.

I would have the battery checked out as well. These twins are great starters, I've never had one not start even at temps to -25. I've had good luck with the sealed Interstate direct replacement, they run about $130. Don't waste your money on cheap walmart/fleet farm type batteries, they don't last. If you really want a good one, check out an Odyssey 925L I think that is the correct number. Don't know what year your 700 is but if it's carburated always turn the fuel off when trailering.

Manuel choke and carbed, never heard of turning the gas off, never did on my 500 even on 1200 mile trips out west on the trailer or the 4 months it used to live in the back of my pick up...Hasnt been started since noon Sunday just hit the key and she fired right up, then again temps are in the 30's....

My arctic cat 650Vtwin was a cold blooded pig. I run synthetic amsoil 0-40 in it now. Has not had trouble starting since. Before I had one shot to get it started before the battery died. I also dropped $30 on a battery tender jr. That has also helped immensely. I had much the same problem you are having.

I found on 2 of the POPO's that I have owned that having them wired a certain way leads to the battery getting slowly drawn down. It may not be the case with yours but it may be worth looking into. Don't ask what to look for as i am no electrical guru. I just know that was what was the problem and i paid someone to change it and the problem went away.