• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Egg shells down the fish hole?

dfap2

Funny how they state that littering of "parts of fish" is illegal but chumming of "fish parts" is just unlawful. How do they differentiate that??? Make it all illegal or all unlawful.

My guess is in the end you will be paying your fine for both of them to the same person.

When I was a kid we always dropped egg shells down the hole when we were spearing. One would think if it is biodegradable and can't become an AIS that there would be no reason to make it illegal but I guess the law doesn't have a common sense threshold.

Use to do this. Worked great for spearing sturgeon. Now, the DNR has outlawed everything. Basically if you can't bring it back out of the water, you can't put it down the hole. For spearing purposes now, we use PVC in a X that serves the purpose well.

I remember guys bringing out truckloads of silica sand, Potatoes, egg shells, was pretty insane the length they went to light that bottom up.

GatorBait I really like your idea of usign the PVC on the bottom. I would think that would work pretty slick and you could just pull it out when your done.

I've used eggshells while spearing many times. When water clarity isn't perfect and is cloudy, the eggshells help you identify the fish and size of it quicker. I've heard that it was against the regulations to use them though. I would think that eggshells don't hurt anything, but snail shells from one lake to another might transfer something. Why are using eggshells against the regs? If someone who knows could answer this with a common sense answer, people would probably quit using them.

I've used eggshells while spearing many times. When water clarity isn't perfect and is cloudy, the eggshells help you identify the fish and size of it quicker. I've heard that it was against the regulations to use them though. I would think that eggshells don't hurt anything, but snail shells from one lake to another might transfer something. Why are using eggshells against the regs? If someone who knows could answer this with a common sense answer, people would probably quit using them.

Bascily if its not in the lake already and you cant remove it dont put it in.

I should have asked if the eggshells hurt anything in the lake. They keep getting covered up when you spear and are probably mixed in with the bottom, and not hurting anything. They are probably good for the lake as they are in the ground, not in the lake. How can it be littering when you put it in the lake for a reason? If you get stuck on the ice you throw sand under the tires. When you come out of your fish house after fishing all day, the sun warmed up your car and the salt and sand were on the ice under it. This is not littering but I would say worse than eggshells.

Its not eggshells, but I once read an article about a great lakes trout ice fisher who swears by scaling the keepers and putting the scales immediately into the hole. The article claimed that the flutter of scales into the water column would trigger a feeding signal to other trout...

What do yall think, I cant say i have ever had the chance to try this.

How can it be littering when you put it in the lake for a reason?

So if I dump used tires in the lake for a reason it should be ok?

There is no need to put anything on the bottom to spear or fish.

Do the eggshells hurt anything? I think they are illegal, but why? Common sense tells you not to throw tires in the lake. Someday when you have speared a few more years, you might see where eggshells will help you, when water clarity isn't perfect. I used to only fish one lake for years. When it was cloudy I would use eggshells and it would help. This was great, walking out to my fish house, and back to the house. The kids and grandkids could come back and forth when they wanted. To go find a clear lake would remove the possibility of the grandkids running back and forth. Other reasons that you don't like to here about has changed this perfect life I've had. Didn't filet one fish out of this lake last year. I hope the DNR is proud of their experimental regs.

Do egg shells "hurt" anything I don't know. Do tires "hurt" anything I don't know.

By that logic if we are allowed to throw things in the water that don't "hurt" anything we could throw alot of things in the water.

Do we expect the DNR to come out with a list of items that are allowed to be thrown in the water?

I've been spearing many years and I have tried egg shells and potato slices. It helps a little but does not make that much difference.

Bottom line is if you can't see well enough to identify a fish in the water you're in you should not be there.

My favorite lake has been to dark to spear at times. Was it inconvenient? Yes but thats the way it goes.

I will bring them up until they are gone on that lake, whether you like it or not. They are wrong and the DNR should not be doing it on this lake or any lake in Minnesota.

It does nothing to bring them up on here by hijacking someones thread with it.

Bring them up with the DNR, your legislators, at thee public input meetings etc...

Many people have tried to point this out to you but you don't seem to get it.

I know guys that put white lima beans down across the bottom when spearing. I suppose the DNR could fine them but it's not something I'd personally worry about so long as they didn't go up to a DNR officer and tell them directly. It's a matter of common sense, really.

I would like to learn something. I anyone did the eggshell thing and stayed in that spot for a period of time - what happened over time? Did they cover with silt, disappear? How about the beans? Seriously, anyone have any info about that happened over time?

Do fish fart? Sounds like we've got ourselves an experiment! smile

Bubbles thats all I'm sayin grin

I have talked with a couple of CO's and one said don't put anthing down the hole and the other said a hand full of eggshells would be ok so in my opinon its up to the discression of the CO. I would ask the local CO first and clear any thoughts on the subject and I would ask the CO for it in writing just in case. CYA is the best policy in this case.

When spearing, you have to add a couple of eggshells, broken up, each time the spear and fish hit the bottom. The silt does cover them. Done this over a two month stay in one spot. Done this for many years and can't see that it hurts anything. This is easier than going to a different lake to find clearer water.