• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Taping a reel to the rod...

FLAG!!

What do u guys normally use to tape reels to your rod- electricians tape, duct tape, other?

Also do u remove the round black guides or tape over them?

Hooked up with a few bigger fish on my light set up recently, causing the handle to bend a bit and the reel tried to pop off while fighting the fish. Assuming this is why many tape? Thx for your insight.

I bought some reel tape made by frabill the other day. It only sticks to itself, not cork or anything else. It will not destroy your cork handle. So far it works good, but I havent used it a bunch to really test it out.

Previously I had used electical tape which works fine, but it tears the cork apart, but not as bad as duct tape.

go to your local farm and fleet or nickel and dime farm supply store and get some castrating bands. (They are like 2.50 for a packet of a million) and a funnel .89.

Then take a funnel and place it at the base of your rod; slide the castrating bands onto your rod handle; and attach reel. Adjustable, removable, and durable.

A buddy who works at 3m gave us a big box of pink\purple electrical tape. Thats what I use and there is no question which rods are mine if they end up in a buddies bucket or bag. I'm going to have to try the masking tape, since years of electrical tape has made the cork tacky. Good idea.

I bought a new ice rod the other day and I decided to try something a little different. I stopped at Fleet Farm and picked up some electrical heat shrink tubing. Yesterday I put it on and it looks like it should work pretty nice and it won't peel off like the tape does over time.

The only thing I would do differently is to use a larger diameter tubing. I used 1" tubing and it was just barely large enough to get it on. If you can find 1-1/8" or 1/14" tubing it might work better. Also, I tried to use my wife's hair dryer but it wouldn't get quite hot enough to fully shrink the tubing so I had to finish it using a lighter. If you do it with a lighter you have to be careful not to burn through.

I will never use tape again, if it doesnt have a reel seat and hoods then it is cold snap bands (castration bands) hands down. They lock the reel on tight and its a fast on off if i want to switch reels or need to take it off and they stay right on the handle. No brainer its the way to go. and if you buy bulk at fleet like i do cause i use them for my rod building also then its a CHEAP but highly effective use.

Try Tommy Tape. My fishing pal swears by it. It does stay pliable when cold and sticks to itself.
This is probably the same stuff that I bought which had a Frabill name on it.

How thick are those castrating bands? I like the "flush" feel of tape or even the shink tube idea and would be annoyed if these things are bulky.

I bought some reel tape made by frabill the other day. It only sticks to itself, not cork or anything else. It will not destroy your cork handle. So far it works good, but I havent used it a bunch to really test it out.

Previously I had used electical tape which works fine, but it tears the cork apart, but not as bad as duct tape.

This is the same exact stuff as silicone electrical tape, available at Fleet. Much less expensive though.

I've had good luck with hockey tape. Comes in different colors and comes off the cork clean. Also works good to write the line weight on it with a sharpie.

Exactly my preference too. No stretch and is warm to the touch in seconds because it's cloth vs. plastic or vinyl.

The shrink tubing is not bulky at all. In fact, I like the smoother feel of it than the electrical tape I used before. Unfortunately, this was my first attempt and so the jury is out on how well it works. It seems tight enough and should work fine but time will tell.