• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster lazer pro issue

northernfishin

I purchased a used solo 2.5hp lazer pro in Novemeber. I know my auger should start on the second or third pull, but I've been having issues and noticing some stuff trying to figure out why it's taking a bunch of pulls to get it to fire.

I put in a fresh tank of 91 non-oxygenated gas with 40:1 of strikemaster oil. It fired good a couple times on the second pull.

Now i've noticed som oil leaking and running from the muffler and kind of down around the bottom of the power head.

I've been setting it down when It's in my car and or on the ice on the throttle side with the gas cap up and spark plug up away form the ice.

Not sure if there is something I did wrong, or if I am not doing something right.

This is my first power auger and would like to figure this all out to make the money spent worth it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Go to the Strikemaster HSOforum for the proper starting sequence for the Solo motors. Check air filter to make sure it is dry and clean. I am no mechanic but sounds like the oil/gas ratio may have been off for previous owner. Check spark plug also. This is an excellant auger package.

For starters check the plug and switch to a synthetic oil. A little oil,gas,carbon comeing out isnt a big deal its just not getting burnt if it isnt running properly. Anything that sits for any length of time with a carburater is bound to have issues and auger have more than most.

I wouldn't worry about the oil coming out of the exhaust my Solo does the same thing, or at least did before I switched to Amsoil. I have only used it once since the switch but others have said there will be a major improvement. Mine doesn't have a starting problem though. One thing make sure you don't over prime it, I prime 2-3 times when cold.

Your first and biggest problem is running Strikemaster oil. I bought a brand new lazer mag with Tecumseh powerhead 5 years ago, ran the Strikemaster oil and had the same problems you're talking about. The exhaust oozed out thick black goo. A friend of mine ruined a brand new coat holding the auger the wrong way and getting it on it. The auger was a bugger to start and ran rough.

I switched to Briggs and Stratton oil and it ran way better, and didn't ooze near as bad.

Last year I switched to Amsoil Sabre Pro 100:1 Run it at 80:1 Hardly any ooze, and you won't believe how good your auger will start, run and cut... That same friend of mine fished with me last year and said he'd never seen my Strikemaster run so good.

I purchased a used solo 2.5hp lazer pro in Novemeber. I know my auger should start on the second or third pull, but I've been having issues and noticing some stuff trying to figure out why it's taking a bunch of pulls to get it to fire.

I put in a fresh tank of 91 non-oxygenated gas with 40:1 of strikemaster oil. It fired good a couple times on the second pull.

Now i've noticed som oil leaking and running from the muffler and kind of down around the bottom of the power head.

I've been setting it down when It's in my car and or on the ice on the throttle side with the gas cap up and spark plug up away form the ice.

Not sure if there is something I did wrong, or if I am not doing something right.

This is my first power auger and would like to figure this all out to make the money spent worth it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You are running to much oil. that is why it is not running right. I have had 4 different solo's and have never ran the oil 40 to 1. change oil and it will run better.

You are running to much oil. that is why it is not running right. I have had 4 different solo's and have never ran the oil 40 to 1. change oil and it will run better.

I ran the Strikemaster 2 cycle oil 40:1 in my Lazer Pro Solo just fine the 1st season before switching over to Amsoil 100:1. Why would Strikemaster sell or recommend oil that wouldn't run in their augers?

I dont know why SM wants people to run their motor so rich but they do. Maybe warranty or break in or they want to sell their crapy oil. All that smoke blowing out with their oil doesnt make for a clean plug and a good running auger.Synthetic is the way to go and proven to be a better oil/lubricant and I run it in everything I own.

Thanks all for the help.

The Strikemaster oil is synthetic. So for those who've suggested to put a synthetic in, I do have one in there. I'm thinking it could be a rich mixture of oil to fuel. I'll probably try to add a bit of pure gas and lean it a bit.

My next option I am getting from everyone is to switch to amsoil saber pro at a 80:1 mix. I think if I can't get it to work, I will do this.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Following the correct strikemaster starting directions, putting in 91 octane non-oxy gas and 80:1 Amsoil sabre pro has allowed it to run like a dream. Starts up just fine now cold and runs great. Still kicking out a little bit of smoke, but I think if I add a bit more oil it might help eleviate that.

I will keep everyone posted if something else happens.

The more you run your auger with Amsoil Sabre Pro the less it will smoke. I run 80-1 and it starts easier, runs stronger, and smokes and oozes hardly at all anymore. You can clean it when it is cold with some WD40 on the muffler and a rag.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Following the correct strikemaster starting directions, putting in 91 octane non-oxy gas and 80:1 Amsoil sabre pro has allowed it to run like a dream. Starts up just fine now cold and runs great.

Good to hear smile