• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me pick out a Boat.......

B-man715

In the market for a bigger used boat, and looking for a little advise here on what type of boat to get.

I want to get something that can handle some big water on a windy day, but still fit in the garage (21' max tounge to prop). So I'm guessing it will have to be 17' at the biggest, or something a tad longer with a swing tounge.

I do a lot of backtrolling for eyes, either vertical jigging or dragging harnesses. Also like to troll. Once in a while I like to cast for muskies.

Really don't plan on any water sports (skiing, tubing).

Should I get something with a full windshield, a boat designed for backtrolling (like a Warrior), or just a normal single counsel boat...????

Looking to spend $15k at the very most.

What do you think I would be happiest with?

I love the idea of a tiller (no jumping back and forth from the counsel to the stern) and great boat control. But do you get soaked on a windy day with spray without the windshield?

I've never fished out of a "big" tiller before. But like the idea of an open floor plan and smooth ride in rough water.

That's a tall order for one boat to fill. Lets address some of your wishes one at a time.

You mention big water and wind. Depending on your deffinition of big water and wind, a 17' boat can be pretty small. This is something you will have to figure out and decide how small a boat you want to be in.

17-18' boats are very common so finding one shouldn't be that hard. If you want to back troll any of the Lunds/Crestliner/Alumacraft boats that are around 10-15 years old will fit the bill in both length and price.

Tiller Vs Single console Vs dual console w/bubbles Vs walkthough windshield. That's how I rank them, wet to dry in the wind. Glass boats will be dryer than aluminum boats, but may cost you more since they don't really make cheaper entry level glass boats. Do you fish with a wife/GF or kids? That may make a big difference in what is an acceptable level of wet.

IMO, the best multi purpose boat out there than matches your considerations will be a dual console, either bubbles or windshild Pro V style boat with a 150Hp on the back with a tiller controlled kicker.

Good luck and have fun boat shopping.

Agree. Get a wide 17 footer with full windshield. I think an 18 would be too long, but you may come in just under 21' with some tricks (swing tongue, slight angle, trim motor down and turn fully).

I would shoot for a used EFI four stroke. These came out in mid 2000's for most brands. And get a matching four stroke kicker with tiller controls for your back trolling.

Last few days been confined to my room with bad case of influenza, and been pondering this very same question. Will be interesting to see where this goes but here is what I have turned up thus far. I know your max price was 15000, but the Crestliner 1650 Pro Tiller is one great looking boat. Go on their HSOforum and check it out. Their baitwells are placed beautifully, nice center rod storage, good 50hp merc 4stroke, bunker trailer, and should be able to fit in your garage. Doesn't give total length w trailer but boat is 16'8". The weight is more that a Lund 1750 Outfitter, which is another nice boat at over 17' long, and cheaper, but not as deluxe as the Crestliner. Total weight of boat and motor is somewhere around 1500#, the lund is about 1200#, and for comparison a Warrior tiller starts at about 1600#. Plus the chine on a Crestliner is larger than that of most other boats which should help on big water. I would like to hear peoples opinions on how these handle bigger water as well bc I have no experience with big tillers on big water. I do know I ran my buddies boat a few times this summer on big water long lining and trolling raps, and his 20' center console Alumicraft although a very nice boat, was awful on boat control. With control being so key for myself as mostly a walleye guy, I was guying nuking futs on that thing for a weekend. Wasn't really that windy either where it could have been an issue. Unless you want to go to a used glass boat, bc the new ones are ridiculously expensive, I found this will be one my options hopefully in near future. Good luck and let us know if you choose one. 2c

FWIW on size... we used to keep a 17'10" alumacraft with a 150, on a Shorlandr 3100# roller trailer with factory swing tongue, in a 21' deep garage. We did have to really shoe horn it in there - tongue swung away, angled right, motor trimmed perfect, and had to break away the top part of the inside 8" block directly behind the prop so it would fit without the prop hitting. But even with all that it took like a minute to get it in there.

So just to help give you perspective, for your garage you are probably able to get any boat in there up to about 17.5' without modifying the garage wink

Good luck in your search! Bring that tape measure out to dealers, but remember to account for steering angle and trim angle when measuring.

I have been running an 18 foot Warrior tiller for 15 years now. I have thought about getting a new rig, but the Warrior is still going strong. Bought it used, and fish Muskie, Walleye, and Bass. If I do go looking for a new rig it will be a Warrior or at least fiberglass and I will stick with a tiller(4 stoke) and used.I have fished in a lot of different boats in the last two years and still would rather stick with a tiller and fiberglass, even at my advanced age.

GOOD LUCK with your search. Let us know what you choose.

Rockin' Randy

I have been running an 18 foot Warrior tiller for 15 years now. I have thought about getting a new rig, but the Warrior is still going strong. Bought it used, and fish Muskie, Walleye, and Bass. If I do go looking for a new rig it will be a Warrior or at least fiberglass and I will stick with a tiller(4 stoke) and used.I have fished in a lot of different boats in the last two years and still would rather stick with a tiller and fiberglass, even at my advanced age.

GOOD LUCK with your search. Let us know what you choose.

Rockin' Randy

Mr. Randy I am assuming the boat has seen its fair share of big water, how did it handle with some good wave action? Do you think the weight of it influences the control more or the size of boat?

for 15k i would look at a used glass boat. in recent years i have had a 1890 Warrior SC, a Ranger 692 and a Warrior V166 Hawk tiller. I paid less than 12K each boat and all fished very well. I currently still own the V166 & 692.

I am a bit believer in glass boats for the fishing you are talking about.

If size is an issue i'd sure recommend a Warrior V166. The one I have now has a swing tounge and fits nicely in a garage. It is every bit as good in big water (Lake of the Woods) as when i had my 1890.

One or the other will likely be for sale upcoming as im not so sure I need both. I bought the V166 for fishing this fall while the Ranger was in for a rebuild. I just can't decide which one i want to sell.

Thanks for all of the input guys!

I've had a chance to look at a few, and have done a pile of reading up.

There is just something about those Warriors that is sucking me in...... wink

Problem is I can only find a handful of these boats for what I want to spend...... There is one on Kraigslist right now with a 2 stroke Mariner that I could buy free and clear depending on what they would give me for my little boat now. There is also another one with a 70hp four stroke listed for a couple thousand more.

Then there are two more at the very top of what I want to spend.......

If any of you guys had a minute could you take a peek at them and tell me which would be best? I really like the 4 stroke, plus it has a Minn Kota Vantage and better electronics. What would be a fair price to start asking for it? Think they would take 8K for it this time of year?

For what I would use it for I think that boat would be perfect!

B-man..you fished out of the perfect all around boat over rifle season...pony up a little more $$$ and be happy... winkgrin

Hey Pat,

I know, I know.......... grin

Just really don't want to take out a big loan.... or even a loan at all...

But............... I guess I always could grin

If you get a chance send me your address. We have a cool Christmas card with your name on it laugh

for 15k i would look at a used glass boat. in recent years i have had a 1890 Warrior SC, a Ranger 692 and a Warrior V166 Hawk tiller. I paid less than 12K each boat and all fished very well. I currently still own the V166 & 692.

I am a bit believer in glass boats for the fishing you are talking about.

If size is an issue i'd sure recommend a Warrior V166. The one I have now has a swing tounge and fits nicely in a garage. It is every bit as good in big water (Lake of the Woods) as when i had my 1890.

One or the other will likely be for sale upcoming as im not so sure I need both. I bought the V166 for fishing this fall while the Ranger was in for a rebuild. I just can't decide which one i want to sell.

You have a pm sir smile

sent you an email...there is a 99' Skeeter 1775 single counsel w/150 vmax on the list of craig....my buddy just bought the same boat with dual console this fall and it's a nice VERY deep boat ...right in your price range...throw on a kicker if you need to feel like you are a "tiller guy".... grin You seem to catch eyes just fine out of a boat that isn't a tiller....

Well guys I'm a proud new boat owner grin

I met a guy from South Dakota last night to look at his Warrior V177 tiller and ended up taking her home smile

It a '98, with a '98 75hp 2 stroke Merc, and 24volt tiller kicker with splash guards. Boat is about 17.5 feet, total is about 21' which barely sqeaks into the garage.

It's in great shape for being 12 years old. He was asking 10,500 and actually had the boat sold over the phone to another guy for 10,000. He was getting some money wired on Monday for a down payment.

He told me not to even waste the time and gas to come look at it.......Then I decided to be the "dink" and said I could meet him with cash right now........ he took me up on it grin

Now it's gonna be a long wait until the Rainy opens up grin

Thanks a lot guys for your help! I researched all kinds of boats to death, and think this boat will suit my needs perfectly. It's small enough for one guy to handle, but it's design allows it to handle the bigger waves, all while maintaining great boat control.

I would like to get a bow mount for it this winter, and in maybe another year or two upgrade the motor to a 4-stroke.

Good luck to you all in the upcoming soft water season!

Great looking rig! I am sure you will like it.

Nhamm, My 1890 handles big water just fine, I fish Leech, Winni, and Bemidji a lot. Just use a little common sense in the big waves, no need to go wide open. At slow speeds it answers the helm a little slow,other wise I think the lenght helps in big waves.

Rockin Randy

Geeeez nice deal for the money

For what you were looking for I think you will enjoy that boat

smart move glass rather than tin

I had a 17ft glass boat for 20 yrs and I fish mille lacs and winnie

religiously never worried bout wind and had EXCELLANT back trolling control

not sure what this hottime is talking about

but from what I understand warrior is alive and doing business

Good luck

Now you either have to head to the rivers some where or wait for soft water again..lol