• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Concerts?

Stick in Mud

I don't know if this thread will go anywhere, but I'm hopeful that we can keep a running thread of concerts that are going to be "in town," whether that's in my area (St Cloud), elsewhere around the state, or within reasonable driving distance. I'm always frustrated by how often I hear about awesome concerts AFTER they've happened. A lot of them are in very small venues that don't get a lot of airtime. Since youtube and other online options exist, anyone with a bit of interest or curiosity can check out the artists to see if they're interested.

So, for my own contribution to this nascent list, here are two options that I'll be attending:

1) Kelly Joe Phelps on January 10th in St Cloud at Bo Diddley's Pub on Division. He's an awesome guitar player (bluesy, folksy) with an awesome voice. Definitely worth the very low price of tickets.

2) Iris DeMent, also in St Cloud, at Pioneer Place on 5th. She's a bit of a legend in the world of folk music (she's married to Greg Brown, for what it's worth), and in a small venue, it should be a good show. smile

Anyways, these are two options. I'm hoping there's a bit of interest in a thread of this kind. I'm looking forward to hearing about what events y'all have on your lists.

Carmike

Going to Soul Asylum with Honeydogs and Dead Man Winter next Friday @ First Ave. Soul Asylum is playing "Grave Dancers Union" (Their big early 90's album) in its entirety. Dead Man Winter is a few of the guys from Trampled By Turtles + one or two other local musicians. Honeydogs are also local.

Other than that my buddies band, Bigtree Bonsai, has a Thursday night residency at the Nomad in January, probably will go to a couple of those. If you follow First Ave on Twitter, they run most of the promotion for their club, the Cabooze, The Fine Line, etc... so they'll let you know when anyone comes to town.

Going to see Soundgarden at the Orpheum on Feb 2nd, and The Gaslight Anthem at First Ave on Feb 28th. I've really gotten into TGA the last year and a half or so and was bummed that I wasn't able to make their show at the Fine Line in July. Stoked that they're coming back so soon.

Memorial Day weekend at the Cabooze I think Friday night, Soap and God Johnson doing "III Houses", songs from Led Zep III and Houses of the Holy.

Alabama Shakes are also comming to the Cabooze Outdoor Plaza in June, good luck if you try to get tickets for that though.

Went to 4onthefloor last Saturday at First Ave, good time as always with those guys.

And I think next weekend (19th/20th) Trampled By Turtles has a 2 or 3 day stint at First Ave. All shows sold out but you can find tickets if you are willing to pay big $$$ for them.

Thanks for the bump, Slab. It's probably time I make it back down to the Cabooze one of these years.

If none of y'all caught the Iris Dement shows over the last weekend, you missed out. Of course, it depends on your taste in music. I'm 30, and I very nearly could've been the youngest person at the show on Sunday night. It was nice to see that all of my social security taxes are going to (in part) support decent music, though. smile

I was also perusing the City Pages last weekend, and lo and behold I saw that the one and only Limp Bizkit is coming back to town. Tickets are "only" $35 and $45. crazy

I JUST heard of JJ Grey & Mofro, last week they came up on a Pandora station so I looked them up and really like thier style. I described them to a buddy as: (for the song hocake), G Love meets Allman bros with a side of James Brown. Blackwater is really good too. That should be a good show.

Bob Dylan, Wilco, and My Morning Jacket at Midway stadium on July 10th. Looking into some second hand tickets, they can be had for around $100 each. I'd like to see Wilco, and I don't know if Bob will play outdoors locally ever again...

I've seen Bob Dylan a few times...and I haven't been impressed. I'd be hard pressed to pay the kind of money they're asking for that concert.

And congrats, Eric, on having a famous son! smile He gonna be playing anything in MN anytime soon?

I'm with you on that, not going to pay $80 to sit and wonder what song he's playin. He definetly likes to change up tempos\keys\etc...Forget about understanding the lyrics. I have heard that a lot of people are excited for this show though mainly because of the other 2 bands and Dylan is the bonus kind of.

I went to the Willie Nelson / Dylan concert at Midway a few years back...wouldn't go see either of them again. Seems like a lot of people go to their concerts because it's the "cool, hip" thing to do. Wilco...? Love 'em, but I'll wait until they come back to Duluth, it probably won't be long. smile