• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help on "Feel" rods

CrazyPanfish123

Hey

I have been fishing with noodley rods for awhile. Now im looking to purchase a "Feel" rod. That way i can feel the bite insteead of just deeing the bite. I was wondering what everybody thinks is the best or one of there favorites for under $75. Im looking to use this rod fishing sunnies and crappies

Thanks,

CrazyPanfishguy

@ $75 your borderline on the cost of the best solid carbon graphite rods available. UL rods like the TB quiverstick and a perch/walleye rod like the TUC precision ice rod are the types of rods that fall into the most popular applications.

For budget take at look at TFO rods designed by G Loomis. You can purchase most high quality custom rods for $50-$60 without the pricey recoil guides. But if your looking for the ultimate in a feel rod then the recoils are a must. Typical price range of a custom rod w/recoil guides would be in the $70-$100 range.

Take a look at rod handles too as they can play a part. See my thread here about the different types of rod handles: http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...ype#Post2964033

The thorne bros quiverstick without recoils would probably be around 75. I'd spend the xtra and get the recoils and my handle choice. I had one built with a fly reel handle and recoils for 90 i believe. Without the fly handle and a normal finesse handle it would have been around 80. The rod is featherlight and I think will perform in the "feel" category. Now I just need safe Ice. pairing the rod with a no stretch braid or low stretch fluorocarbon line will help feel as well. Mono is very stretchy compared and will lose a bit of feel the deeper you fish.

Well the meatstick is one of those "feel" type rods that was mentioned in the original post, that is why I brought it up. Like you say, just another option.

BTW, Clam is a MN company too. smile

I agree the meatstick is an excellent rod, but it is a sanded fiberglass blank...not a feel type rod but great for seeing the bite. If you are looking for a feel type rod you'll want to look for something with a high quality graphite blank.

I agree the meatstick is an excellent rod, but it is a sanded fiberglass blank...not a feel type rod but great for seeing the bite. If you are looking for a feel type rod you'll want to look for something with a high quality graphite blank.

+1 The meatstick is not the best option nor is it a "feel type rod". Like said it is more for seeing the bite.

Yes. I know clam is a MN company. But I guarantee their rods are made in China. Or elsewhere. That was my point. I dont know where TB blanks are made or the components. But I do know the labor isnt outsourced to foreign countries.

I gave up searching, but I distinctly remember Matt Johnson stating that all of TB rod blanks are made in USA. This was a thread from last winter sometime.

I have a quiverstick, recoil guides. GREAT FEEL ROD.

I did find however that I prefer it for perching over panfish, but that's a personal preference deal. I don't get the chance to get off the beaten path in the Metro to find bigger pannies like I did before kids tagging along. The little dink pannies are a bit light to have a fun fight on the quiverstick.