• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fluorocarbon Line

Hawg

My brain said no but I fell for it again, I bought some and put it on the small reels most of us use. These spools are so small I wanted to just use all line, not a leader. Got it on, strung the eyes to tie on a small jig and BOING off it coiled. I've filled 1000's of spools so it was put on the right way so thats not the problem. I guess I was in a forgiving mood because the Vikings were doing well when I did it but I'm 100% convinced that this line has no place in the world except as a leader. This was Ice version of a mojor brand. You guys ever found a limp enough one to use like this?

It was 4#, from the folks that bring you XL & XT. I'm sure to get dusted if I mention a name thats not a sponsor or an approved rep.

I do not like most Trilene lines to start with, and their flourocarbon is the absolute worst in my opinion.

Try P-Line .... it's much better and you shouldn't have an issue with it on your ice reels.

I just bought Northlands Bionic Ice Fluorosilk in 6 pound test. I used it on Red yesterday and liked it. I think it is a mono coated in fluoro. It spooled up nicely and seemed to have limited stretch. I used vanish before and it was okay, not great. This northland stuff I like better. With that vanish I only had maybe half the spool filled because it came off. With this copolymer northland stuff it has more flex and I have it more 3/4 way spooled up.

Ive never had an issue with 100% fluorocarbon from trilene. Its all I use on ice or summer gear. anywhere from 2-15 pound test. I do hate the vanish though. So I guess it all comes down to what each likes. The thickest I have spooled on an Ice reel is 3 pound test on a tica cetus which is a tiny spool. The thickest on a spinning reel for summer is 8 pound test. All but the most spendy fluoro's I've tried seem to get springy after about 8 pounds but I do run 10,12,15 on baitcasting reels with no issues. The Pline fluoroclear is a nice copolymer line that I've never had springing off the reel issues with either.

I also use mainly 100% Flourocarbon now generally either Trilene or Seaguar on all my reels. Back in the early 90's I was big fan of Super Silver Thread which is a Copolymer and have used it for many years over Mono.

I currently have 2lb, 4lb, & 6lb Trilene 100% Flourcarbon ice spooled on my Pflueger Trion GX7's for UL applications.

I never really had a problem managing the line on the reels no matter how small the spool as long as I didnt over spooled it. However I have noticed that to some they are not use to the line or cant manage it properly and seemed to always get tangled and coiled up on the spool. For example I have a buddy who spooled up some flourocarbon ice on a St Croix premier ice rod combo and he kept on having line tangle and coiling off issues. I had the same line on my Pflueger trion and we swapped rod/reel on the ice and he still had the same issue with my Pflueger while I didnt exhibit the same behavior. So it comes to me that its a line management issue on his end. With 100% Fluorocarbon you need to ensure the line is tight on the retrieve and free spool during use. Once the line starts to wears it becomes easier to manage.

It takes some gettings used to but once you learn to properly use or manage the line it becomes easy without hassle. You can try Berkley Vanish to see if its easier.

Pline flouroclear or flouroice arent true flourocarbon lines aside from being a Copolymer/flouro coated lines. I have also used the Northland fluorosilk lines which is pretty much the same. This is likely why most find these types of lines much easier to use and still have good line strength.

It was 4#, from the folks that bring you XL & XT. I'm sure to get dusted if I mention a name thats not a sponsor or an approved rep.

Berkley wink

Product names are ok, just not unauthorized links.

I've had the best luck with Pline flouroice or flouro clear from 2 to 4lb when using flouro or copolymer lines. Above 4lb and it gets messy on my ice reels.

Lateley... with young kids going out with me, I've just been putting 4lb trilene XL on all my rigs. Keep it simple. XL is not known to be the strongest line, but it stretches good which I think helps kids from overworking a fish and offsets what it lacks in abrasion resistance. It's also one of the most manageable lines period. Again, good for kids. And I haven't really found any negative effects on my fishing either. Landed big pike on it, no more or less bite offs from unintended species, no coiled line, drops down the hole well, I'm beginning to think sometimes we over think many things. KISS principal.

Gus, I'm the same way on going back to standards. It's this early year desire for absolute perfection that drives me crazy. Once the house is out everything goes back to what works, not what the marketing experts say is the best.

Just curious, why do you guys use such heavy leaders on tip ups? I usually use 8# line,10 at the heaviest, most of the time. Also a #4 hook,maybe 6 sometimes, seems to work for me. I guess it's whatever feels comfortable to you, it just seems kind of heavy to me.

Tipups for me = pike fishing. I like heavier leader for that reason.

I go with 20# flouro leader. Usually Pline CFX leader material. I do use flouro for all my leaders open water. Usually just use leaders for pike on ice. Pline CFX is the best leader I've tried.

I use 8# flouro mainline with no leader on my chub rods. I have never been bitten off and we catch muskies as well as pike and walleyes. I rarely even retie. One thing I do is I crimp sinkers over a piece of paper onto the string so they dont damage the line. They slide around but only after a fish hits. They stay in place while the chub is doing his thing.