• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

late season mallard hunt?

With unusually warms temps this year, season ended too early for this guy. I'm forever glad i took up bow hunting or I'd be lost right now lol. I need to keep my funds in order next year so I can follow the migration a little further down south!

Keep it closed. Every hen mallard sitting in the middle of the slough doesn't need three hats putting their best belly crawl on. Sodak is packed full of mallards right now. Lack of pressure has its benefits.

Quote:
Had a couple thousand going into the ponds behind our house.

Boy they sure are pretty this time of year.

They sure are. I live by 195th and Embers and the ponds on that corner are absolutely loaded right now. I had to sit out the other night and watch them circle over the house. It never get's old.

As much as I am going through withdraws over the last week and I still find myself scouting even though I cannot hunt, it is good to give them some rest, a lot of birds stay year round in MN on open spots on the river. Besides the birds needing rest I am finally catching up on sleep, man do I loose some sleep over chasing those greenheads.

Kettle

Had a couple thousand going into the ponds behind our house.

Boy they sure are pretty this time of year.

Sifty

Yeah, that's amazing what happens in the South Metro year after year.... there was an easy 1,ooo at the Airport last night....

Hoping the Geese are moving around a bit here this morning... smile

I would love a late season drakes only season. There is no chance of it happening though . Most of the birds you see in the s metro after the season closes are black dog lake warm water ducks and residential warm water ponds.

There are some concentrated pockets of ducks but overall there aren't nearly the numbers you would think or that is around in September. If you want to see real numbers go out to the Missouri river in So Dak. Thousands upon thousands and lf you don't mind paying to hunt private fields the licenses are available.

I do wish we had a drakes only season that was longer like the high plains unit in the Dakotas.

I can see the birds now...their shiny green heads against the blue frigid sky with wings locked coming into the decoys.

If you want to see real numbers go out to the Missouri river in So Dak. Thousands upon thousands and lf you don't mind paying to hunt private fields the licenses are available.

Why would a guy pay to hunt private fields when you can buy a nebraska license and hunt the missouri and still shoot limits of ducks all while sleeping in til about 8? Have been making the trip down there the first part of december for the last 5 yrs and have always hunted water. Scout midday and find where these birds loaf and shoot them as they come back from the fields for the day. If you have the opportunity for a late season mallard hunt i would put this place on your list, as mallardnwalleye said the shear number of ducks in it self is worth the trip alone.

Why would a guy pay to hunt private fields when you can buy a nebraska license and hunt the missouri and still shoot limits of ducks all while sleeping in til about 8? Have been making the trip down there the first part of december for the last 5 yrs and have always hunted water. Scout midday and find where these birds loaf and shoot them as they come back from the fields for the day. If you have the opportunity for a late season mallard hunt i would put this place on your list, as mallardnwalleye said the shear number of ducks in it self is worth the trip alone.

Could you post more specific details please. Maybe even show some pictures of maps,etc. I think a lot of us will join you next year...it sounds so awesome!

Could you post more specific details please. Maybe even show some pictures of maps,etc. I think a lot of us will join you next year...it sounds so awesome!

It's a small little river, very hard to find on the map, and the ducks only stay in one little spot of open water.

I'm not just gonna give away where we hunt and how we hunt down there that is half the fun of the trip is exploring the river and finding birds to hunt. The Missouri runs the border of nebraska and south dakota and there is a lot of water to cover trust me. The main river channels are roughly 40 to 50 ft deep so it takes a while for them to freeze and some times you end up hunting holes the ducks have held open so current isnt a factor in those areas, but if hunting part of the river with current just use a little common sense and dont risk a life over a few late season ducks

I'm not just gonna give away where we hunt and how we hunt down there that is half the fun of the trip is exploring the river and finding birds to hunt. The Missouri runs the border of nebraska and south dakota and there is a lot of water to cover trust me. The main river channels are roughly 40 to 50 ft deep so it takes a while for them to freeze and some times you end up hunting holes the ducks have held open so current isnt a factor in those areas, but if hunting part of the river with current just use a little common sense and dont risk a life over a few late season ducks

Tubitz

lots of iowegians down there grinsmirk and you can't launch from the SoDak side with a Neb. license, also plan on seeing some competition. There defiantly are ducks down there if you put your time in scouting. The scouting takes time and the season ends soon. If anyone is out in the Lake Oahe area, there are private fields and (private land only) licenses with a season until mid jan. If you are in a field they want the shooting is like going to Saskatch ...From what I have heard wink.

So Dak holds a lot of birds up there (Oahe) because it is so difficult for the out of stater to access. The birds have been shortstopping there longer and longer as the weather is warmer and warmer each year.

So Dak holds a lot of birds up there (Oahe) because it is so difficult for the out of stater to access. The birds have been shortstopping there longer and longer as the weather is warmer and warmer each year.

Not so much the lack of pressure or warmer weather; it the fact that there never used to be the amount of corn along the missouri corridor like there is now. The birds have high protein food and lots of it. Couple that with areas on the river that never freeze and the ducks and geese have no reason to leave.