• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

survey?

got this off a dfferent forum wondering if anyone knows anything about it, a survey from the U of M? hate a couple of things suggested, here's what was posted:

Who else received the study from the U of M yesterday???? Randomly chosen?? The 4 guys that hunt with me all got it. I did fill it out and sent it in. A few key topics they are throwing around.

1) Combine Season A & B (16 days)

2) Later Start to Gun Season

3) Second buck tag for Archery/Muzzle Loader Seasons

4) They also asked me to try and justify the APR Law. (No comment - good or bad)

APRS's to save the yearlings, but two buck tags to eradicate the 2 yr olds. Where do they come up with this garbage? I love hunting bucks as much as anyone, but I'd rather see a buck lottery than that. Combining the two weekends in my area was the worst thing that could've happened. I thought we were trying to recover the population, not take it down even further? I'd love an opportunity to hunt zone 3, but my blood pressure would rise debating all the regulations.

lets see:

#1 I think is a horrible idea, eliminate 3A, make 3B 9 days like it used to be which moves the season back which will take care of #2

#2 (see above)

#3 absolutely not,although other states do that (Iowa for example) but with the number of hunters we have, it would decimate the bucks.

#4 since when has the state decided that we should "justify" any of their regulations? two lines in fishing seems to work in all of the surrounding states, but we are a tradition orientated state, we can't make changes to anything because of a legislature that sticks with "tradition"

got this off a dfferent forum wondering if anyone knows anything about it, a survey from the U of M? hate a couple of things suggested, here's what was posted:

Who else received the study from the U of M yesterday???? Randomly chosen?? The 4 guys that hunt with me all got it. I did fill it out and sent it in. A few key topics they are throwing around.

1) Combine Season A & B (16 days)

2) Later Start to Gun Season

3) Second buck tag for Archery/Muzzle Loader Seasons

4) They also asked me to try and justify the APR Law. (No comment - good or bad)

I didn't get the survey. It looks like a zone 3 thing.

1) agree. Also combine archery and muzzy season and just make it deer season.

2) disagree. Have deer season for all weapons start Oct. 1.

3) one buck tag per hunter per year.

4) eventually more bad will come from it then good.

Never got it, if it is a zone 3 thing, hopefully it shows up in the next day or two. I'll let you know if it does.

Considering the last APR threads got locked, I'm not going to put down my answers, but if I get the survey, I will fill it out and let you know whats on it.

2nd buck tag.....!?!?!?! Thats so rediculous, I could almost see them doing that mad That would literally END the buck population in greater MN.

You mean like in Wisconsin? Where this has gone on forever, with more hunters than Minnesota will EVER have? They seem to still have a pretty good buck population over there, with a high percentage of trophy deer to boot. How could that be? crazy

It must be a zone 3 survey with the A n B season looking for opinions. I got one of these college surveys about the mississippi and the threat of asian carp a while back.

I'll ask around if any of my friends got it.

Until then, I'll just sit back and enjoy..... wink

So how late is late enough ? When do you want Muzzleloader season to open ? Let's see if Nov.9th is too early add zone 1 16 days to that that would mean you want rifle to open later than Nov. 25th so lets say the 26th of November so rifle would end December 11th and the following weekend would open muzzleloader on Dec.17th and that season would end January 1st ? I guess anyone not hunting by gun would be thrilled or if you have a heated stand or awesome food source or bait.

A survey is only as good as the person giving it. If things are changed because of surveys, all you will have is what the surveyor wanted. When rules are changed just to get larger deer or fish, it is wrong. Most hunters and fisherpeople, don't even know of these surveys. I'd imagine this topic will be locked out soon, because they have mentioned APR's.

I've always thought they should allow a second buck tag for special lottery type hunts only, like ripley,state parks or city type hunts where one has to be drawn.
I agree with this 150 % My Kids youth hunts in state Parks and Ripley should no way make him burn his tag for the season. Someone mentioned a second Buck Tag would destroy the Buck Population ? No chance- I wish I knew the numbers but just a wild guess is Id bet the success rate is around 30 % with about 10 % being Bucks with around 7500 Tags sold. I dont know how that small number would destroy anything.