• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me out with a bow for my son for xmas

Pinusbanksiana

Most popular bows are offered in left hand. Don't buy at Cabelas. Get an estimate if his draw length and buy from a reputable shop that will exchange as needed (or go the gift cert route) and then fit him precisely. If he's not done growing yet look for some draw length adjustment. Is he truly left eye dominant or just left handed? Get him shooting right away on the side of his dominant eye. I'd look closely at Diamond and Bear, and possibly Mission (by Mathews), maybe even PSE and Hoyt, in the price range you mention.

He is left eye dominant. Does everything right handed except shooting. Don't you think Cabelas is reputable? I checked Bear and don't see left hand on say the Bear Mauler. I think his draw length is going to be over 30 for sure. I don't want to measure him because he will figure it out quick.

Pinusbanksiana,

I'm not trying to hijack your thread but I'm doing the same for my son. It sounds like my son has the same height and lanky arms but right handed.

What is measuring from finger tip to finger tip going to tell you?

Is Gander a better place to buy?

Pinusbanksiana,

I'm not trying to hijack your thread but I'm doing the same for my son. It sounds like my son has the same height and lanky arms but right handed.

What is measuring from finger tip to finger tip going to tell you?

Is Gander a better place to buy?

I don't know will have to research it tomorrow.

One thing I would note is his age. You might want to get a bow that has a more adjustable draw in case he grows some more. There are several models out there but I bought my son a Mission Craze as the draw length is adjustable from 19-30 inches. Should be in your price range as well.

If you are buying this bow for your son or someone else, there are couple of things you should consider, especially if he is a beginner.

Speed may not necessarily be his friend. I would look for a more forgiving bow, one that has a shorter brace height. A longer brace height means the arrow is attached to the string longer, meaning faster speeds, but more sensitive to bad form, bow torque, etc....

Look for one with a solid back wall with about 80% let off. Then, I would make sure that you can back down the poundage. Your son sounds like a big kid, but shooting at a lower poundage will help him get better form.

If it were me, I would suggest getting him a bow release for xmas, with a note that says he can pick out the rest of his present later, or maybe have a picture of a bow in the box. A bow is something that should really fit him. He can learn to shoot whatever you give him, but some bows might just feel and fit better to him. If you take him to a good pro-shop, they will be able to help him get set up with a bow in your price range, that has the options he will want.

I second the Mission by Matthews, or any Fred bear product.

How much do you want to spend? I'm biased away from both Cabelas and Gander, but others have had good experiences at both places. Is there an archery shop in Bemidji? If yes, I'd definitely go there.

The amount you want to spend will dictate a lot the responses you get. It'd be very easy to get $1500 into a new set up if you're starting from scratch. More isn't that tough either... However, there are good options that cost a lot less too. Keep in mind that it's all expensive- after you get the bow, the accessories add up fast. Quiver, rest, stabilizer, sight, release, arrows, broadheads, field tips, etc. Then he might want a treestand, tree steps, a safety harness (very important), and much more. I'm not trying to be a downer here, just giving you a heads up. The good news is that you don't a lot of this stuff right away.

Give us some pricing info and we'll be able to better help you out.

Just from experience I generally feel neither Gander nor Cabelas is the place to buy, fit and learn something of this nature. They don't seem to hire experts in setting up archery gear. The one exception I'll make to that is if Mike Foster is still working at the Gander in Forest Lake. He takes the time to do it right and was doing it for a long time. Heck he used to work for me. That may be an option for you Birdswacker.

As for the Mission Craze, if that ends at 30" that may not be the best for your son Pink. Something like 30-32 would be better just in case he shoots up a little more. But that's why I say go to a pro shop. You don't put anything on it if you want to give him the actual bow as a surprise. They will then fit him with the proper one. Bluewater Outdoors in Bemidji has an archery section though I didn't look at his brand offerings. But I've seen them work with customers on guns and it appeared their customer service was good.

Trigger, I know you know what you're talking about and meant, but you got the brace height deal backwards. And I agree with you. Heck I shoot an older DXT with (by today's standards) high brace height but it's plenty fast.

I would get him a gift certificate to a bow shop, not a big box store. It might not light his eyes up opening it on Christmas like an actual bow would. BUT you could make it fun. Tell him the 2 of you will go get a bow, take him to lunch before/after or something like that. The importtant thing is to get one that fits, feels good, and he can grow into if needed. It is real hard to get all this right w/o him actually being there in a decent Archery shop. Good Luck!!

For whats its worth. You mention he is left eye dominant. I am as well but right handed for everything "BUT" shooting a gun. I shoot right handed with a bow. Might want him to see and feel what is more comfortable for him before you pull the trigger.

Have to disagree with you there Mabr. Especially if he is just starting out he should shoot left handed using his dominant eye. It will be easy for him to learn and he will shoot so much better than he ever would right handed. And later when he's old like me and his eyesight isn't as good he won't be forced to switch. Plus he can then shoot with both eyes open which is a huge advantage. Can't do that with your non-dominant eye as that is what will try to line things up if both are open.

Pinus,

My son has a 76" wing span which puts him at a 30.5" draw length.

I had him out shooting my bow tonight he was having a heck of a time pulling my bow and it's set at 65#. So I'm thinking that a 60# bow is the way to go for me. I searched thru different web sites the only company that I found with a longer draw length of 30" plus was "Bear".

Anybody have any other manufacturers for 30" plus draw?

Specs for draw length on a bow a couple years old?

How much do you want to spend? I'm biased away from both Cabelas and Gander, but others have had good experiences at both places. Is there an archery shop in Bemidji? If yes, I'd definitely go there.

The amount you want to spend will dictate a lot the responses you get. It'd be very easy to get $1500 into a new set up if you're starting from scratch. More isn't that tough either... However, there are good options that cost a lot less too. Keep in mind that it's all expensive- after you get the bow, the accessories add up fast. Quiver, rest, stabilizer, sight, release, arrows, broadheads, field tips, etc. Then he might want a treestand, tree steps, a safety harness (very important), and much more. I'm not trying to be a downer here, just giving you a heads up. The good news is that you don't a lot of this stuff right away.

Give us some pricing info and we'll be able to better help you out.

Thanks! I am having a hard time finding (on line that is) a bow in my price range that will fit him. He needs 30" left hand. I figure 350 should set him up. We bought a couple Summit Viper climbers last year so set for stands. Cabelas pricing on bows have changed overnight by a hundred dollars on the bear mauler. I could have sworn that last night it was 349, now way higher. Confused.

Thank you so much for all the advise. He is left eye dominant and shoots both firearms and bow left handed. Other things he does with both hands like thowing a tomahawk or fishing. So I know that the way to go is left hand for him. My wife is right handed, left eye dom. too, and she shoots like carp, right handed.

I am having second thoughts on the whole thing. Next fall he will be in college somewhere, I hope someplace he can hunt. I probably should just do it though and let him figure it out. My Dad had influence on my hunting as a young boy, but once I was 17 I thought I knew more than he did. Boy was I wrong.

This is for a Diamond Razor edge package bow. With a relese and a string loop 29" should fit him. This was just a quick search through the oogle site and you might be able to find a used one or better price.

Your Price: $329.99

Out of Stock Online

30-60 lbs.

Left Hand

Axle-To-Axle Length: 31"

Brace Height (in): 7"

Cabelas has the Diamond Razor Edge in there sale flyer for $279 but it only has a draw length of 29" more than likely it'll be to short.

Bass Pro has a "Redhead Kronike" that has 26-31 draw and can be set at 50-70 lbs.

Anyone know who makes Redhead ?

I bought my left Handed 14 year old The Diamond Razor Edge Last Year-We couldnt be more Happy- Its a bummer seeing these Prices out there now- I paid lots more then that for His. The bow is super smooth and really quite. The Best part of the Bow is the adjustment options. If I had to do it over again I wouldnt change a thing.

I agree bringing him in to fit him perfectly would be the best. I just bought my very first bow last week and to find one that fit me that I liked was hard because I'm not a very tall guy. I have a 25" draw length yeah pretty short. So my choices were very limited. But I ended up buying a pse rally which I really like the feel of.