• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

private land crossing question

maddowg1192000

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems farmers are good about having actual fence lines that are accurate and most people who post land in the woods aren't as accurate and when in doubt grab a few feet/yards/ to post the land. That doesn't make them right but if you are confronted you end up losing the battle and it makes your day bad to say the least. I'd doubt you could practically find "the spot" when you'd be able to cross without trespassing.

I'd ask one of them, hope they say yes and if they both say no and your hell bent on getting in there tell them your intention of crossing in the spot and then if you do it they will know you have good and legal intentions.

if you do it they will know you have good and legal intentions.

So, I ask to cross, they say no, so I say I am going to do it anyway. That is "Good intentions"? I am sure they will think I am a fine, upstanding law abiding citizen when I refuse to listen to their denials.

How about this... What's the chance you actually get caught? Think there will be someone sitting on the corner watching for people?

You mentioned a 1/2 mile. Does this mean there is another access point if things got hairy out there? (If someone yelled at you, could you get out another way?)

This seems so trivial to me. If someone lived in town and some kid cuts a corner and walks 3 ft into someones yard, are they going to get a trespassing ticket?

It's my understanding that unless posted, they have to tell you to leave and you have to disobey that request, to be charged with trespassing.

common courtesy is to ask by law you can cross on the spot though. Any time I've even come close to being confronted by a land owner is a losing proposition, he will say he's right you'll say you're right and you'll be standing out in the woods stranger to stranger probably each carrying a rifle.

He doesn't know that you're a good guy you don't know he's a good guy and you'll both walk away unhappy in all likely hood.

This weekend we had a guy put a stand by where we usually park our truck on county tax forfeited land. We talked to him and he invited us to park our truck in his nearby driveway so he would be undisturbed and we had a great place to park and now a new access through his driveway. We talk'd with them over the weekend and now that we know them it's a lot better situation for everyone. Hopefully something similar to that will happen to you.

if they all meet in a actual square grid like that and all corners allign how in the heck even in states out west could you be called trespassing when 2 of the 4 properties that meet are public? Now if you are caught 30 yds into one of the private lands then yeah I suppose out west they don't have to tell you to get off the land first and just ticket you but in Minnesota they have to tell you that you are on private land and ask you to leave and if you don't then you can get ticketed for trespassing.

if they all meet in a actual square grid like that and all corners allign how in the heck even in states out west could you be called trespassing when 2 of the 4 properties that meet are public? Now if you are caught 30 yds into one of the private lands then yeah I suppose out west they don't have to tell you to get off the land first and just ticket you but in Minnesota they have to tell you that you are on private land and ask you to leave and if you don't then you can get ticketed for trespassing.
That's exactly what I was thinking too.

Put it terms my boys would understand. Imagine the two "private" pieces (or lands you do not have access to hunt are hot lava. The other two "public" pieces are stable ground. You should be able to walk to the edge and step onto the "other" side safely avoiding the hot lava.

You obviously took the time to reseach and investigate boundaries and I would hate to see that effort go for naught if you got slapped with a fine. The reality is you will likely not have an issue but the land owner would probably appreciate the courtesy head's-up. They live next to this public land and are used to people near their boundaries and may be tickled that you took the time to reach out. I've done this during some pheasant seasons a few years back and have since been invited to hunt with them on their private land!

Respect and courtesy always go further but you need to be prepared to adjust if one of the owners says, "No."

Good luck!

If the picture posted is the property in question, the private land DOES NOT NEED TO BE POSTED by MN law. Any agricultural land doesn't need to be posted in MN and trees/woods are considered agricultural land.

I've been through this countless times with multiple COs during DNR training.

If you can get it to a fine point where the 4 properties meet and do as Frank mentioned you can jump across. Land is privately owned, airspace is not.

Keep in mind that someone may be hunting the adjoining properties and do you really care to interfere with someone else's hunt? Is the public land that big that you can't access the property from a different location?

By all means, make sure to contact the other property owners if you haven't already.

If the picture posted is the property in question, the private land DOES NOT NEED TO BE POSTED by MN law. Any agricultural land doesn't need to be posted in MN and trees/woods are considered agricultural land.

I've been through this countless times with multiple COs during DNR training.

If you can get it to a fine point where the 4 properties meet and do as Frank mentioned you can jump across. Land is privately owned, airspace is not.

Keep in mind that someone may be hunting the adjoining properties and do you really care to interfere with someone else's hunt? Is the public land that big that you can't access the property from a different location?

By all means, make sure to contact the other property owners if you haven't already.

Since when is timber agricultural land?

Respect and courtesy always go further but you need to be prepared to adjust if one of the owners says, "No."

+1

Seems everyone just comes to the conclusion that land owners are all jerks and are always negative. Have the land owners been approached? You might be supprised when you just talk to people and how far a little respect and courtesy will get you.

Talk to the land owners and see where that gets you first.