• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

first deer!

Man i am still pumped. Thursday morning I headed out to the hunting shack to get a few more sits in before the orange army came out. Sat from noon til dark and saw 2 deer. Really slow. Friday morning i ended up goose hunting but the other guys in our group weren't seeing much deer activity so I didnt feel to bad. Friday night I got out and it all came together. At about 6:00, a big doe stepped out onto the field. She fed and eventually started walking right down the middle of the field. To say I got buck fever was a understatement. She was walking and stopped, and stared right at me, I thought forsure she had me pegged but she kept walking on, I drew back my bow and stopped her. As I was settling my pin at 25 yards, I shot, and as i shot, she took a couple steps and made a horrible shot, right in the butt. She ran like 5 yards and stopped and looked at me. I was shaking horribly but I knocked another arrow and shot right over her. I felt absolutely sick to my stomach. She limped off and I gathered all my stuff and was gonna back out right away. As I stepped onto the field, I didnt realize that she had bedded down on the edge of the field about 40 yards down, she got up and ran into the lowlands that were directly behind me. I was sick. I walked out to where I shot her and surprisingly found really good blood but still didn't feel good about it. We went back to camp and ate dinner, gave her a couple hours and went back out to look. We found good blood and then it would be a few specks here and there. We then found more good blood and then it stopped again. We kept walking and all of a sudden I hear my dad say, "andrew did you see this?" I walk over to him and she was there. I absolutely lost it, I was so pumped. I went from feeling absolutely sick to feeling unbelievably happy in about .5 seconds haha. She was way bigger than I had previously thought. This is my 3rd year bowhunting and I couldnt be more happy with her. Thank god for rage broadheads. It ate her up!! full-11885-26072-59422_10102544031317780

Congratulations Rinc on your first deer. My son had his moment last year, it's exciting and a great feeling to harvest an animal that you work so hard for. Keep it up!! My dad has been extremely successful with the inadvertant butt shot on multiple occassions. smile You were smart about giving her time to expire, way to go!