• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where will you draw the line on technology?

nbadger23

This last week I've seen commercials for an ozone device that emits "something" to take away human scent and a clothing technology called HEC that does something in regards to supressing the electromagnetic waves that humans give off in order to not alert animals.

It got me thinking about how far I'd take things. I do use scent eliminating products on my clothing but the idea of hanging a device on my stand to try to mechanically cover my scent seems wrong. I can't explain it, it just does. To think about clothing that supresses the waves that my body gives off just makes me shake my head.

I can live with the enhancements in the weapon itself and I realize that it's just human nature to keep trying to improve things but I worry that it could be taken too far.

I'm not trying to judge anyone, just curious if it's a concern anyone else shares?

I'll take a pass on both.......

But then again I'm "sort of" an old school hunter myself.

I don't use scent away sprays, mechanical heads, drop away rests, food plots, bait, trail cameras (I do use them for bear, but not deer) mineral licks, ozonics, or Bad Boy Buggies, buck bombs etc.

I hunt the wind and the land. Somehow I magically manage to kill nice critters every year, many have been on public land too.

It's easy to see how a new hunter can get so overwhelmed, but if they just step back and look at it, hunting is actually very simple.

I haven't heard anyone working on a scent blocking product for flatulence but I think I would draw my line there. wink

There's a guy in my hunting party that used to smoke in the stand and seemed to bag more than the rest of us. Menthol cover scent or just good positioning? You decide.

Yep, I agree. In the case of the products mentioned, those are for the hunter not the hunt.

Many people are looking for that edge that will tip the scale in their favor not realizing the thing that will help them the most isn't available on a store shelf: Woodsmanship.

More than drawing the line on technology I draw the line on weight. When I think about the 50+ lbs of gear I carry into the woods, I think it is kind of silly. My lone wolf climber with rope and harness is 30lbs alone. Add water, range find, binocs, clothes and suddenly I look like I'm going on a week long backpacking trip when I enter the woods. I love the simplistic image of fred bear hunting with only stick and string.

Whitetailtactics_5.jpg

For many of us our time in the woods is very limited by work and family. It is easier for us to buy new hunting gear and fill that in-the-woods void we carry than it is to actually get in the woods. If I can't comfortably carry all my gear into the woods to fill my tag, then I've gone too far.

I used to watch a show were the guy made his own arrows and ragged on everyone else who didn't make their own arrows as cheating or something like that. I just thought to myself that making arrows happens to be where this guy draws the line. But it didn't look like he made that gore tex jacket he was wearing or those nice rubber boots.

To each their own, I guess.

I only spend money on products that help with my biggest hurdle to overcome.

Wanting to bow hunt, the biggest hurdle was buying a bow, arrows, etc.

Clothing came next, because the next problem was being comfortable sitting still for extended periods in 20-40 degree temperatures, something that I certainly didn't do at all before I started hunting.

The next big problem I want to overcome is seeing bucks. I've seen one buck in the past two years of being out in the woods, hunting or not. However, that particular problem will be solved with hard work and persistence, not products. Until I figure that one out, I don't need to spend money on gimmicks.

maybe we should go back to spears and loin cloths? lol I love my compund bow. makes killing the animal easier in my opinion. I like the scent killer stuff and do what I can to keep my scent down but I won't go overboard. As I age it's getting tougher to get my body out there so i like stuff that helps me hunt. I won't be buying an electromagnetic wave suppressor... :>)

I do not need or use the majority of the dump sold today.

Sometimes I wonder how in the world we killed deer 40 years ago? We did not have any of these items. Wool pants and jacket a a gun a bullet really seemed to be all that was needed. I am sure we were just as successful as those who use all of the gimmicks that offer today.

I suppose the same could be said when it comes to fishing.

Technology has taken over the sport.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of the gear.

Some are happy with the good old depth bomb.

Others can't wait for the new LX25 super combo unit that also cleans and cooks your catch to come out.

To each his own I guess.

LOL, I thought the same thing when I seen that commercial. I'm like are you kidding me? I draw the line there I'm not carrying out an ozone emitter into the woods and strapping it onto my tree. I'd rather be as scent free as I can be and play the wind.

I do wear scent blocker clothing that I got back in 2000-2001 though, not even sure if the carbon in them even work anymore but I rarely get winded. I do use scent free soap, shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, and spray, but that's where I draw the line.

I think a ton of these "technological advances" are complete garbage and really aren't "advances". The example given earlier about the ozone product is a great example-- please, please tell me that people don't honestly believe this works just because some recognizable hunter on tv says it does. Oh BTW, that same recognizable hunter is also paid big money to say it works... Garbage...

I agree with the idea of the initial post though. We have the technology to project a hologram of a doe at this point- one that moves, does a doe in heat bleat, and "assumes the receptive position" for any buck that gets within eyeshot of it. Can you imagine how well that would work? On one hand I think that'd be a hoot to watch a deer respond to. On the other hand, I simply don't think that'd be fair to use hunting. There are a bajillion other examples too.

But, where does one draw the line? Some won't go beyond long bows and cedar shaft arrows. Some draw the line at trailcams. Some say nothing electronic on a bow. ...and on and on and on...