• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any cheap places to winterize a 90hp outboard?

DaveZman14q

If it is a two stroke, you can do it yourself for under 10 bucks. You will need a pan, a BIG screwdriver, a small bottle of stabil or equivilent, a spray can of fogging spray, and a set of muffs for water.

Here is a summary. I am sure there are videos that show how to do it as well. Also several pages in the winterization topic.

1. put an appropriate amount of stabil in the gas tank.

2. Unscrew drain screw in lower unit. don't lose gasket. unscrew vent and allow lube to drain into pan. Watch for water, or milky color. When done draining, refill by squeezing container of new oil into drain. Or use little pump sold for this purpose. When oil start to overflow vent, replace vent screw. Remove bottle and replace drain screw.

3. Attach muffs to garden hose, place muffs over water intake on lower unit, turn on water.

4. Remove cover from motor. Start motor. Don't get anything caught in moving parts. Run for a while to get gas with stabil into motor.

5. Disconnect fuel line, and while burning gas in carbs spray fogging oil into carb throats. Motor will smoke heavily and stall. This is a little tricky with multiple carbs.

5. put cover back on motor.

6. Optionally, remove prop to check for fishing line wrapped around shaft.

Or if you take it to mechanic, it shouldn't cost much. I used to pay 50 bucks or maybe less. 4 strokes are different.

Anyway, that is a general outline.

yeah, I was gonna say... I know a cheap place... Your driveway.

I'd follow del's advice, although one thing I'd mention is to not crank the water up to full blast with those muffs. You don't need to force water into the motor, it's gonna suck it. too much pressure and you might pop a line in there. Or so I've been told.

Good luck.

We do it ourselves too but we don't fog it anymore,had trouble getting started the next spring.It kept fouling plugs,now we do it the way Dad always did.A little WD40 in each cylinder then roll it over & replace plugs.

yeah, I was gonna say... I know a cheap place... Your driveway.

I'd follow del's advice, although one thing I'd mention is to not crank the water up to full blast with those muffs. You don't need to force water into the motor, it's gonna suck it. too much pressure and you might pop a line in there. Or so I've been told.

Good luck.

My experience is that any excess water pressure is relieved by the water escaping around the edge of the rubber muffs. At least a lot shoots out there when I turn on the hose.

As for the place that charges 135, they must be doing something more than stabil, fog, lower unit oil. Plugs? Four Stroke oil change?

Do you need to fog the spark plugs or not so necessary?

No, getting oil on them will foul them. the fogging oil is to coat the inner parts of the crankcase and cylinder walls so they don't rust. This is on engines that don't have oil inside the crankcase- 2 stroke- oil is either injected or mixed in the gas for lubrication of the engine.