• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BWCA Maps

I switched from Fisher to McKenzie a few years ago when I had to start replacing some of mine. This year I've noticed the McKenzie maps seem to be falling to pieces. The material they're printed on is waterproof. Anyone else having trouble with this? What is Fisher printing their maps on these days?

We used Fisher and Voyaguer maps this year. The waterproof paper they were printed on stood up to steady drizzle/mist, and even a short hail storm (we didn't realize they weren't put back in the pack). By all means we abused the maps but both held up with no sign of damage. A coworker uses McKenenzie maps and swears by them.

The paper seems to be impervious to rain but this last year they are crumbling. It's really a mess in the pack but worse when it's out and I have to try to pick up a hundred little pieces of paper which keep breaking into smaller pieces when I try to pick them up. The copyright on them is from 1997 but I'm sure I bought them around 2005. I'll have to heck out Voyaguer. I'd rather have to replace maps every three years than have to have the maps disintegrate.

I don't take great care of maps--just can't stomach the $$ for a fancy map case--and I've never had that happen to me. I've got some that are going on ten years old now, too, and they're still usable. They do seem to get a bit brittle, but they're definitely functional.

That being said, I'll also give the Voyageur maps a try. I honestly don't have a preference between either of the two main brands, though.

$$ for fancy map case?!? I have a Granite Gear Map case that costs $25 new. A gallon ziplock works too, but the map case has plastic loops to tie down the map with. I keep it attached to the canoe thwart with my bungie dealie bobs. Considering those maps are $5-10 a piece, its cheap insurance. I use it on my winter trips too and I can attach the case to my chest harness.

Yeah, I hate stuff hanging from the thwarts when I'm carrying the canoe. It either throws off the weight, or blocks my vision, or just adds unnecessary weight. I know a lot of people like and use the (yes...expensive smile ) map cases, but I'm not one of them.

I have a variety of maps from the different mapping companies and have never had an issue.

My map case consists of a 1 gallon ziplock bag. It sits on top of the pack in front of me as I paddle and is held in place by a strap on the pack. When at a portage it goes in the front pocket of the small pack. I also keep a backup map in another pack in case something happens to my original map.

If they get a little damp when on a trip I take them out and hang them up when I get home. Come to think of it I still have 3 maps tacked to the basement wall from my August trip.

As for hanging things on the canoe if its warm out I'll strap the PFD's to the canoe on portages. THat way we don't have to wear them or take up a free hand to carry them. Trick is to make sure you balance the weight correctly. Don't add something in back without adding something in front. The added weight isn't much of an issue since I'm usually using a light weight kevelar that is only 40-45 lbs. I've done multiple 300-400 rod portages and the extra weight of the PFD's wasn't an issue.

I print off my own maps using TOPO, the ink will run, so they tend to last one trip. My maps are zoomed into only the areas I will be, I also print out aerial photos and DNR depth maps and tape them to areas on the map I will not be going. Then they go in a ziplock AND a fancy map case. smile

Laminated one once, but I laughed as I saw how quick it cut thru the water like a knife thru butter when a gust of wind took it. Glad I knew where I was going on that trip. smile

One of the things I love about canoe tripping is how much room there is for personal preferences...there's lots of ways to do it right.

I assume you're wearing your PFD's when you paddle? If so, then you have to stop each time and take a minute or three to strap them onto the seats. I'm a bit of a nutcase, and I hate spending any more time than necessary at the beginning and end of a portage trail. We hop out, take off the PFD's, load up packs, one guy takes the paddles and the PFD's, and we're off. He's still got one open hand for safety purposes, and I don't have to worry about anything strapped to the canoe.

Yup, I'm a bit of a nutcase. I said it. smile

For sure everyone has their own way of doing things and they are all equally correct (except the group I saw this year that had 2-3 packs for each person).

I am always wearing my PFD when paddling so I do have to take it off and clip it to the canoe but both of my vests have a buckle on it so its just a 2 second snap in place thing.

From when we land the canoe I'd say it takes me a few minutes to unload the packs and get headed down the trail. First pack gets picked up and loaded on my wifes back right away without setting it down and she's off down the trail with a paddle in hand.

I unload the second pack and the small day back and set aside with the second paddle. The vests are clipped in quick and I'm off down the trail with the canoe. I then come back for the 2 packs and paddle I left and then finish up the portage.

Sounds pretty efficient, except for having to walk back to get the packs. smile

One of my pet peeves in the BWCA is people who block up the portage trails with loose stuff, seven small backpacks, trash bags with sleeping bags in them, etc. I try to do my best to get out of everyone's way as quickly as possible.

If its a short enough portage my wife will carry the day pack on her chest and I'll carry the second pack and canoe to make it a single portage. Otherwise I double and she single portages. The last two years we've done routes with long 300+ rod portages so thats just too far for me to carry the canoe and food pack together.

When we do double I leave the 2nd pack well out of the way. This year with the group that brought 2-3 packs per person they had the entire landing jammed with stuff and even piled packs on top of my packs. Took me awhile to dig them out.

Since we've gone down this road I would like to share.

I do attach the map to the canoe thwart or to a backpack.

When we travel we single portage. We've been doing it for at least 10yrs and we love it. Honestly, I rarely have my PFD on in the boat. I'm usually sitting on it. If the weather is uneasy or we are in rough water/rapids, it is on, but otherwise it sits in the boat.

When we hit the portage, we unload the main pack and the secondary/day pack. I use the dealie bobs to strap the paddles and the fishing rods under the thwarts. My wife carries the main pack/food pack and the bait locker if we have one. I put on the secondary pack and hoist the canoe and that is our portage. On the other side, she's waiting. We place the canoe in the water, load the two packs and push off. I will get the paddles unstrapped at the landing or after we float out a bit. Our time at the landing is rarely more than 2 minutes unless we are taking a water/snack break.

That sounds pretty efficient, powerstroke. That's pretty much how we do it, too....packs never touch the ground, canoe never touches anything but water. We need more people like you around some of those portages between Lakes One and Four! smile

I've only double portaged once. We usually don't take enough stuff to require it. We will each have a pack and a small food pack for the both of us. Beyond that, everything else gets bungied to the thwarts.

There's lots of things people do in the BWCA that I don't understand...like leaving trash all over the campsite. mad Also, leaving a dead fish in the campsite mad

When we travel we single portage. We've been doing it for at least 10yrs and we love it. Honestly, I rarely have my PFD on in the boat. I'm usually sitting on it. If the weather is uneasy or we are in rough water/rapids, it is on, but otherwise it sits in the boat.

When we hit the portage, we unload the main pack and the secondary/day pack. I use the dealie bobs to strap the paddles and the fishing rods under the thwarts. My wife carries the main pack/food pack and the bait locker if we have one. I put on the secondary pack and hoist the canoe and that is our portage. On the other side, she's waiting. We place the canoe in the water, load the two packs and push off. I will get the paddles unstrapped at the landing or after we float out a bit. Our time at the landing is rarely more than 2 minutes unless we are taking a water/snack break.

Sounds like a good system. Except the part about not wearing your PFD. I don't want to get all preachy about wearing your PFD but it might just happen anyways. A few years ago I was like you and didn't wear it unless the conditions were bad. But last year I was up for a short trip and the day we came out a young guy in his 20's died a few lakes over from us because he wasn't wearing his PFD. That day the conditions were absolutely perfect. Warm weather, almost no wind at all, and bright blue skies. Would have been no reason for concern from the weather and from the sounds of it he was an experienced paddler who knew how to swim. None of that mattered and he still drowned. Happens way too often up there. After I heard about that accident all I could think about is what if that was me. I couldn't handle the thought of my wife sitting alone on a shore line somewhere in the BWCA knowing I had just drowned in front of her. Since then I vowed to always wear my PFD and anyone who paddles with me is required to wear theirs as well.

You could be one of the debaters in Boundary Waters Journal. They had a one trip vrs two, with the publisher being in the two trip school. Eating real food etc.

Makes me think of the people we met in Quetico. Had one of the first Wenonah canoes I had seen. We offered them a lake trout we had just caught. They said "no thanks, they weren't cooking this trip" Living on trail mix and stuff. Saved a lot of weight on portages they said. The couple with them looked pretty beaten down.

I've done one trip and two trip versions. I'll do two. I like my comfort.

Put me down in the double portage camp, in fact I'll be picking up some steaks and bacon soon for an upcoming trip.

And I bring a chair and TWO sleeping pads, I'm all about being comfortable and having fun.......you can't have fun if ya ain't comfortable. smile

Don't worry folks, I make sure my carp is outta the way on portages. wink

There is a common assumption being made and that is that we must live on the bare minimum and only eat freeze dried. That is far from the truth. As any experienced tripper will tell you, we have found what works for us. There are certainly some creature comforts I won't do without and some I don't think are worth the weight or space to carry.

My most important point is our use of ultralight (not cheap) items where possible. We have upgraded lots of gear to save space and weight. We have also upgraded to a Granite Gear portage pack with a full padded harness system. This has increased the amount of stuff we can comfortably carry. This 60-70lb pack is carried by my wife who is only 135lbs. It obviously gets lighter during the trip as food is consumed.

I do not bring a chair or a tarp. I'm considering getting one of the sil-nylon UL tarps though. We do bring some freeze dried, but we also have pouch chicken and tuna, usually one fresh meat and we make pancakes on the trip. In fact the last 5yrs or so the menu is little changed because we have a group of meals that we like and they fit our lightweight style. There have certainly been several recipes that are no longer on the list because they were not good or worth eating, just to save weight.

Things we do bring are a ENO hammock with bug net. We have camera gear and fishing gear, but only what gets used through experience. We use a MSR dragonfly and have spare fuel even though its not the lightest or smallest, it simmers and makes great food like pancakes or soups, but can also boil water in 3 minutes. We use a gravity filter for water instead of a pump, have a large platypus bag for water storage and 1 water bottle for during the day. Used to bring two. We also have chemical backup for water JIC.

As far as on the portage. Our system was borne out of a desire to not "waste time" on the portages. We feel like our time is best enjoyed on the water or in camp. Also, we don't like having things in our hands while walking, that is why everything gets strapped to the thwart. My kevlar Souris River Q17 weighs less than a royalex even with the paddles, PFDs and fishing rods strapped to it. This allows me to portage with both hands free and my wife to be able to take pictures while portaging. Also, this way nothing gets left at a portage because if its not attached to the boat, its in a pack.

I know its not for everyone and some people will never give up their 4lb sleeping bag and their 8lb tent and their cast iron pan and their camp ax. don't seek to change anyone, only offer an alternative. After watching a group of trippers make 3 trips across the portage I knew we would be different. As they loaded up to paddle on, we picked up all of our gear and started the portage with everything in tow. The last thing I heard was a woman asking someone in their group, "do we have too much "chit" or are they missing something?"

Getting ready for a trip.

Here's my cooking gear for this trip;

A reflector oven and 7" pizza pan.

A cast aluminum fry pan and paper plates.

A bottle of peanut oil and screen for filtering oil.

A stove and small pot for boiling water.

(Not pictured...long handled spork, spatula, tongs)

full-552-25301-2012_10_10_20_28_34_723.j

full-552-25302-2012_10_10_20_38_18_410.j

The cooking menu;

A couple pizzas

Steak

Bacon

Fish (if lucky)

Soups

A couple just in case freeze dried meals

Duck and grouse if they present themselves... smile

Powerstroke, do you have the Granite Gear pack that is something like 6000 cubic inches? I just picked that pack up before our August trip and holy crud can we fit alot of stuff into that thing. I actually had to be careful to not over fill it.

The problem we had was that the harness system just didn't sit well on my wife. The hip belt and chest strap aren't all that adjustable so there isn't much you can do it if doesn't sit well on you.

Just wondering if you've had the same issues or if it just happens to sit well for you guys. We are debating whether we should look for something else or stick with this pack.

Also what gravity filter do you use? I have the Katadyn Base Camp and it was great a first but has since stopped flowing. THe filter only did 2 bags of water before stopping. The filter has no visible debris but still won't let water flow through it. That one is for sure going back.