• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BWCA Maps

Regarding the pack, it fits us well, but both my wife and I are 6' tall and that fits into the sizes that these packs are designed for. We have the GG Quetico.

On the Katadyn filter, we did not like the filter that came with it. It clogs easily and slows pretty quickly. Usually we can barely get one through a weeklong trip. After reading alot, we have converted our the Katadyn with a Sawyer filter attached to the katadyn bag. The Sawyer uses a ceramic filter and is cleanable by backflushing. It flows much faster and takes a lot longer to slow down. It works extremely well. You can buy a Sawyer system so its up to you if its worth it to exchange or I can show you how I converted mine.

The Katadyn bag holds 2.5 gallons, the Sawyer holds 1 gal. The sawyer system costs $10 more up front. The Sawyer filter kit costs about the price of a katadyn hiker filter and you adapt it to the larger bag. Personally, I think its the best of both worlds.

My wife is only 5'5" so thats probably why the pack doesn't fit her all that well. Before our next trip we'll have to rethink the packs. Either I'll carry it or we'll exchange it for something that fits her better.

I've seen the sawyer conversion that you are talking about. That may be what I do. But there is an entire winter to work on that conversion.

Ah, the big debate.

I'm an avid reader of the Boundary Waters Journal between now and May. Then I prefer to go to the BWCA instead of reading some of that poorly edited and dismal prose. Still, the day it comes in the mail, I will usually read at least half and sometimes all of it, and then I'll reread it again once or twice. I think I said earlier that I'm a bit crazy? smile

Like any debate, Stu and Rob are definitely polar opposites...and for the more moderate among us, there's lots that all of us can take from each of their philosophies. Stu carries ice around for a week. Rob wears sandals and doesn't carry fishing stuff....in between these two poles, there's a lot of room for debate (which, come late October, is about as close as I get to the BWCA anyways).

For my money, I'm closer to Rob than Stu. But, on basecamp trips or on a longer trip with older folks, I'll gladly double (or more) portage. All depends.

Well if anyone is interested in trying the insulated food box pack featured in the BWJ< I have one collecting dust for the last 8yrs. Used twice....LOL

Not your style? Or something about it? I might be interested. We use a little foam box in one of the food packs.

We are the Geezer Base Camp style of tripping.

That's why I carry around 8 oz frozen Cokes instead, keeps the meat cold and mixes well with what's in my flask. smile

Then again, this is coming from a guy who ate this in the middle of the Bdub...

full-552-25554-img_1543.jpg

I had to taste test it before the photo.......just in case. laugh

Usually I'll carry in some cold items that are to be used early in the trip. I'll freeze steaks, egg beaters egg mix, hashbrowns or some sort of potato, and cheese. It all goes in the freezer the night before the trip and gets packed in a small insulated bag with a frozen water bottle. Packed like that in my food pack it will last the 5 hour drive up, the night before hand and the outfitters, and then into the 2nd or 3rd day. Steaks and half the potatoes are eaten the first night. Eggs and the rest of the potatoes are the first breakfast and the cheese is used throughout the meals and eaten with the summer sausage. Usually by the time the frozen water bottle thaws we are ready for a cold drink of water. It feels great on some of those hot paddling days to have ice cold water available.

The rest of the time we eat packaged "just add water" meals. We tried out the Bear Creek pasta meals this year and they are pretty good. We also go with a variety of backpacking meals.