• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaking tub faucet....behind wall?

311Hemi

My upstairs tub warm water handle/line has always had a small drip/leak (behind the wall) that follows the water line down the wall and drips into the basement when the water is turned on. Is this just a matter of pulling the handle and replacing the cartridge inside? It does not leak when the water is off so that's the only thing I can think of. I don't have access to the backside of the wall and the bath is a tile wall. I am finishing the area where this drip is, so I am now forced to address this.

99% sure it's a leak as there are mineral deposits building up on the copper and it's much more of a drip than condensation would result in.

On top of that I usually have a dehumidifier running in the basement so humidity is not very much.

I saw a setup where the plumber cut a hole through the tile and installed a new valve. He then put a large plate over it. I think the parts used were Moen. Check with a good plumbing supply store and see if they have something like that. That assumes that the Oring and cartridge replacement doesn't do the trick.

I don't understand why it would drip down the water input line, only when the faucet is turned on confused If a leaky ring or cartridge, wouldn't there be a drip all the time. I would check the output pipe to the spout. It could be leaking when water's coming out the output and appear it's from the input line if it drips on that and then runs down. Cartridges aren't cheap. Unscrew the spout and look inside when the water's turned on and check.

If you need to replace the faucet or the cartridge and you cant get to it try getting at it through a hallway wall instead of tearing apart the tile. I wish I would have thought to do this when I had problems with my shower valve. It is a lot easier to replace a piece of sheet rock then trying to repair a tile wall.

If you need to replace the faucet or the cartridge and you cant get to it try getting at it through a hallway wall instead of tearing apart the tile. I wish I would have thought to do this when I had problems with my shower valve. It is a lot easier to replace a piece of sheet rock then trying to repair a tile wall.

You got that right!! I had to replace the entire faucet (from the late 1940's) in my main bath a couple years ago. There was ceramic tile on both sides of the wall the faucet was in. I couldn't get a match for the original tile, so I bought a contrasting color tile and made a "feature strip". It actually looks pretty good, although it was a huge PIA!!

I have no access on the other side of the wall, it's all kitchen cupboards with that part of the wall behind corner lazy susan cupboard.

This is a house from the 50's that has two handles and the bath spout in the middle. No shower spout going up behind the wall (this was not a shower when I moved in). I changed out the bath spout to add one with a hose to I could use it as a shower. Pretty sure it was leaking for a while before I even bought the house.

Thanks for the input, I have a few things to check/try but wont get after them for a week or two. Heading to Mille Lacs again tonight...and duck hunting next weekend! Priorities (although I am not sure the wife would agree)! grin

If the valve is from the 50s I would look at replacing it. We will still do repairs on older valves but will not warranty them at all.

Sounds like the packing is leaking on the stem. Need to pull the handle, trim, possibly cut the tile to get at it. Might need a handle puller, and box wrenches. A dremel tool with tile bit works well for making the small cuts around the stem if needed.

As someone mentioned above Moen and a number of other companies make large trim plates designed to cover the hole when changing out the valves threw the tile. They are designed to switch a 2 handle valve over to a one handle valve. You might even be able to ad a shower head with this project to.

Here is what I did when I replaced the valve in my bathroom. I was going to use one of those big covers, but one thing lead to another and I wasn't able to, so I replaced tile. To make things even more fun, the existing tile was mud-set over gypsum board, so where the hole was cut, I had to shim out the Durock. The rest of the area where I replaced til;e was relatively easy because I was able to cut out the grout and just pop the old tile out.

BTW, if there is any way you can take the door off the cabinet, take out the lazy susan and still have room to get in the cabinet, I would do that. Like I said in my earlier post, replacing tile was a huge PIA!

full-36875-24364-shower.jpg

I agree with krinkle....When you turn on the faucet handle the packing nut is leaking...all it takes is a quarter turn to tighten it up...if you want to rebuild the faucet parts are available....look up park supply, they have every faucet part available...pull the handles, remove the stems, and would also recommend to replace the seats...you can rent box wrenches and a seat wrench at most hardware stores...I would rebuild the faucet before replacing...I'm guessing a kohler or american standard...I have rebuilt hundreds of faucets and have had no issues....good luck and have fun.

I have a 2 handle tub and my cold water was leaking at the valve only when opened up. It did not leak when closed and I could not tighten anymore. For me it was just the furthest in washer that got too worn over time. Took apart and got a new washer and plumbers putty and no leak now.