• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Porketta

Was in Cub in Elk River today and they had a ad with new products listed and one of them was Porkettas made by Frabonies in Hibbing MN. Im guessing other Cubs will also have them. They are 4.99 a pound but thats about what they sell for up there to. These are made a little different than others down here but if you want to try something different. I love Porketta on a good hard roll with a little mustard.

Interesting, first thing that comes to mind when porketta is mentioned is Frabonies. They just have the spice thing down so much better than others. In general, have never have really cared for cub's pork, hopefully it is Frabonies meat as well. Certainly would save a lot on gas......great tip off Hooker!

cub pork is from Hormel. i'ts the "enhanced" pork which most stores have. i think Frabonies porkettas taste has more to do with the seasoning and how they prepare the meat more than what type they have. people have to be carefull when the use enhanced pork for it is injected with a sodium solution. so less salt or no salt should be taken in consideration. i'm assuming Frabonies uses natural pork. good luck.

Not sure where Frabonies gets there meat from but they do make Porkettas different up north. Frabonies uses a lot of Fennel and I was told they grow their own. Their Porkettas are like a dark green in color from the seasonings. I like them but thats all we ever had up there. Freds in Nashwaulk and Goodland makes them very similar to Frabonies.

they are easy to make. i have made many in over 35 years in the meat buisness. of course the seasonings are the key. a good pork butt butterflyed so you can coat the inside of the roast as well as the outside and then tied or netted back together. i think specialty meat places like the ones mentioned put out a better product than do the bigger stores. good luck.

you can get the butcher string at fleet farm. the netting you can order online or maby ask the butcher at the cub or where you go for a roll. they may sell one to you. you would also have to get a mettal cone shapped flexible meat stuffer for that also. the netting is put on the narrow end and then the meat is hand stuffed through there for a nice tight fit. probably better off tying them though. any good cotton string is good as long as it is strong enough to keep the meat in place. good luck.

Fraboni's makes a good porketta. I also like Zup's and F&D Meats as well. As other posters have already pointed out, the porketta on the range is much different and better than the garbage sold here in the cities. If the porketta is red or orange, there is something wrong. I actually buy the seasonings from the above mentioned stores, and the make it myself in the winter when I have no trips up north planned. I want somebody to try to smoke one and let me know how it goes, so I don't have to be the guinea pig.

I have never had a Fraboni's but I have had Zup's and I think that Cosetta's here in St. Paul rates right up there with Zup's. They are the only two I have had though.

They are great on the grill. I have done them on the weber with indirect heat and have cooked them on a trager where they have gotten some smoke..

Fraboni's makes a good porketta. I also like Zup's and F&D Meats as well. As other posters have already pointed out, the porketta on the range is much different and better than the garbage sold here in the cities. If the porketta is red or orange, there is something wrong. I actually buy the seasonings from the above mentioned stores, and the make it myself in the winter when I have no trips up north planned. I want somebody to try to smoke one and let me know how it goes, so I don't have to be the guinea pig.

Hmmmm....I have a Zups Porketta sitting in the freezer........

I grew up in Virginia with F&Ds and Frabonis porkettas, so i'm a little bias. I do like Zups also. You can buy F&D's seasoning in the store and make your own with a good butt. I was camping on the Echo one year and bought Zups porketta sausage on the way up. It was so good, on my way back I bought all 11 packs they had left in the cooler! Gotta try that if your ever up there.

I posted this a little over a year ago. Thought I'd share it again.

Here's the spice/herb blend I use.

2 tsp. fennel seed (tried using ground but whole seed is much better)

2-3 tsp. salt

2 tsp. pepper

2 tsp. rosemary

2 tsp. oregano

2 tsp. parsley flake

2 tsp. celery flake

2 tsp. basil

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. onion powder

3-5# Pork roast.

I've used loin roasts but they are too lean. Need a roast with some fat for flavor and to absorb the spices. A boned out shoulder works well.

Slice into the roast and open it up so you can spice inside. I've heard of some shops on the range that would spiral cut the roast lengthwise so it could literally be unrolled. I think that is how F&D Meats in Virginia did theirs but it's been so long ago I can't remember. I like to make a couple cuts and then after spicing tie it with a string.

When you add the spice be generous! There isn't very much salt so you can't over-do it. When I get done it is really covered to the point of being green from the leafy herbs.

Spice the inside, close it, and tie with string. Then do the outside.

Bake at 350 degrees covered until done. About 2-1/2 hours for a 3# roast. I like to put the roast on a rack in the roaster and add a small amount of water in the pan for moisture.

Goes really well sliced and served on buttered hard rolls, mustard, and swiss cheese along with homemade potato salad.

Remember, the cook gets to claim the end pieces with all the spices!

i've tryed this one......"credit the recipe" to the late Vince Sorci of Hibbing, MN. Vince was his brother’s father-in-law who had been a butcher for the old Cobb Cook Grocery store in Hibbing, MN. As Nelson lamented, “One of those long gone neighborhood grocers”.

You will need a kitchen scale to make this recipe.

Summer Solstice Porchetta

11 ounces pepper

1.5 pounds sugar

1 pound salt

3 ounces garlic powder

4 ounces fennel seed

1 ounce anise seed

5 ounces dried thyme leaves

1 ounce parsley flakes

½ ounce red pepper flakes

1 (4-pound) pork butt roast

This is a large recipe and will make enough mix to season about 100 pounds of pork butt (shoulder). Mix spices in large bowl and store in a 1-gallon pickle jar. For the meat, I use bone-in pork butt, bone it, splay it out with a number of cross cuts in the meat, rub a liberal amount of mix throughout the interior of the boned pork butt, then roll, tie with butcher twine or place in butcher rolled roast net, and rub the exterior with the spice mix.

Roast at 350 °F until the interior meat temperature reaches 155°F (approximately 15 to 20 minutes per pound). It is also very good cooked using a rotisserie grill and the indirect grilling method.

Thanks Nelson!

If you all get a chance, take a look at the current issue of "Cooks County" magazine. It has an article about porketta. Even a picture of Fraboni's in Hibbing and their fennel garden. Also they give a shout out to Cobb Cook Grocery in Hibbing.

Here is recipe from article...

3T fennel seeds, cracked (squash with skillet)

2t granulated garlic (not powdered, granulated)

5LB boneless pork butt

1 fennel bulb, cored, chopped. discard fronds.

Butterfly pork and crosshatch 1/4 inch deep.

Rub in spices, except for bulb of fennel, work into crosshatch

(roll back up)

Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 6 to 24 hrs.

Unwrap meat and put in roasting pan fat side down. spread chopped bulb over meat.

Cover pan tightly with foil, rast at 325 to internal temp of 200, and meat is really tender.

let meat rest on board 30 min. strain liquid through fat separator.

Mix some of defatted liquid with chopped up meat. Add salt and pepper to taste. (funny no salt before cooking)

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a Zups Porketta in the freezer and my Bro-in-Law coming up next weekend to help me pull the dock. That usually means the smoker will be going and the beverages will be cold.

Have never smoked one before so I'm anxious to see how it turns out.The idea is cook @ 225 to an internal temp of 180. If it needs a little crust, I'll throw it on high on the grill for a while. I don't want to pull it, but would like it sliceable or in chunks to make some gourmet Porketta Sandwiches to go along with the Split Pea and Ham soup I made today.

What do you guys like on a porketta sandwich?

I'm thinking carmelized onions, provolone cheese, and a mild creamy horseradish sauce stuffed into some slightly hollowed out French Bread. Throw under the broiler to finish off and serve open faced topped with some fresh baby arugala.