• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail cam pics gone forever

Well due to what I can only call a freak accident I lost ALL the data on my old computer and fried the external backup drive. This included six years of trail cam pics of bear, timber wolves, deer and other critters. Sure, I lost some family photos and other important documents but my trail cam pics...a sad day indeed.

Thankfully I have been going over what hunter is going to go where in my head for a week straight and memorized it. Client schedule, gone. It amazed me just how computers are tired into everything, even something as primal ad bear hunting.

Jonny P any details on what happened, did your bring in your stuff to any computer nerds yet, you still might be able to save it.

My computer crashed and nothting worked and I coudln't see or copy any of my old files, I bought some $70 software that was able to recover everything.

I have a guy working on it but it does not sound good. I actually had the external hard drive hooked up when it went bonkers and it smoked my admin passwords across the board so nothing is accessible so far but hopefully they can salvage some of it.

I started working on some new pics today...see other post.

Jonny I think your data is still there but you just can't get to it because of other problems. Whatever you do don't give up. Do a search for "Data Rescue PC 3" that saved me one time and it might work for you. Just going off memory but I think even if your computer won't start it will start from this disk and recover your stuff. Kind of spendy around 70-80 but it worked wonders for me.

I personally run two hard drives on my computer (1 for auto backups) and two external drives that I rotate through. The spare sits inside a firebox and also inside my gun safe. Probably a bit paranoide but I work with computers and can't lose my stuff even if the place burns down. Oh I also keep an old external hard drive at a relatives house. grin

Sometimes its good to lose or almost lose your data, makes you all the more careful. Good luck Jonny!

I would be more worried about putting all my important things on a thumb drive. Its a convenient way to make sure you have a backup but I would use at least 2 and maybe more. I have 2 hard drives in my computer and an external and I burn DVD's that go to the inlaws to store.

These can fail too, have plenty of times.

Yep pretty much everything will fail you at some point, just have to stay on top of it and have backups of your backups. Updating equipment also helps too but its so darn expensive. I've burned up a few computer, a handful of flash drives, and at least a half dozen external harddrives. I stopped buying the expensive ones because they seemed to burn up faster than the cheap ones. Might as well have 4 HD's instead of two because they will all fail eventually.

I had stuff backed up on a hard drive AND a remote server but the whatever happend locked me out of everything...hopfully the IT guys can get into it.

On another note the new computer has Windows 7...hate it! Not dislike it or it has kinks but what a pain in the butt. Change is tough for a hunter and gatherer such as myself.

I had stuff backed up on a hard drive AND a remote server but the whatever happend locked me out of everything...hopfully the IT guys can get into it.

On another note the new computer has Windows 7...hate it! Not dislike it or it has kinks but what a pain in the butt. Change is tough for a hunter and gatherer such as myself.

Get a better virus program or stay off those um, bad sites late at night! laugh