• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 WHITETAIL TV SHOWS

BuckmasterG

So I know there was a thread last year talking about what everyone was watching, I searched through 20 or so threads and couldn't find it so I figured I'd fire one up.

I don't know bout ya'll, but I'm scratching at the bit to get back out. I am pretty busy throughout the week so I don't get to watch a ton of tv, but lately I've been able to catch an hour or two usually Tuesday nights.

We have direct tv so the only decent hunting channel we get is Sportmans (605). I personally prefer watching the archery hunts, and so far the few that I enjoy would be *Major Leage Bowhunter 8:30pm*, Closing the Gap 9:00 pm and Muddys Midwest Whitetail 9:30pm.

What else do you guys all like to watch, what nights, channel and times?

I've mostly lost interest in the shows about hunting these days. I couldn't possibly love to bowhunt more than I do, but the hoopla of the shows got old for me a while ago...

That being said, On Your Own Adventures (Randy Newberg- who seems like a great guy who's been super helpful to me in planning my MT elk hunt) and Wildlife Pursuits (done by a group of Fargo and Fargo area guys) are very well done.

I dropped cable for the internet over a year ago so I hit the online stuff. The 3 I pay attention to are Heartland Bowhunter, Midwest Whitetail and Whitetails Inc. All good online shows.

I normally don't bother with hunting shows most of the year but that month before the season opens I need my fix.

I've mostly lost interest in the shows about hunting these days. I couldn't possibly love to bowhunt more than I do, but the hoopla of the shows got old for me a while ago...

That being said, On Your Own Adventures (Randy Newberg- who seems like a great guy who's been super helpful to me in planning my MT elk hunt) and Wildlife Pursuits (done by a group of Fargo and Fargo area guys) are very well done.

I hear ya, I more or less have been watching as of late to cure my craving for opener, but in the meantime have found a couple that I enjoy.

Last year I had to watch some series prior to hunting season to get me all jacked up for the big boy or so I hoped (as they say in sports visualize the clutch play/shot/throw/victory) , this year I just have bowhunting on my mind all the time and need to satisfy it with something grin

Are those two series on tv or on the web? What channel/site and when?

Although not about whitetails, check out Dropped-Project Alaska if you can find it. The new episodes were all aired earlier this summer. It is definately a nice change of pace from your typical hunting show.

Well said Scoot; cant agree more, Randy has a great web site too.

I know its time to hunt when you get sick of these shows, which is pretty easy to do.

Last night I went to bed with a new hunting magazine, ready to enjoy, I looked at the cover, then looked at my mag rack and I had the same flippin magazine already!

Wife is still laughing at me!

I just watch movies.... Monster Bucks XX vol 1 & 2, bone collectors seasons, and The Crush seasons.... Ive been fixed on the movies for the past month and a half smile Figured I might learn something watching them over and over... Ive come up with how not to drool on myself after watching a bow take down 170+" deer... smile

Duff is hilarious. I liked him more when he was with BC but that dude can put down deer like no other. I actually just watched buck commander 5 for the first time last night. Love watching all the pranks and hanging out around camp stuff, makes you feel like you are there, and im sure a lot of hunters can relate to it. I like the fact that MLB really focus' on teaching you and showing/telling you why they are doing what they are doing. I've learned quite a bit from watching that show.

RincRat, I agree I really like the contents of their shows and you can't always expect that the show is gonna end with the classic monster being dropped. They have a fair amount of real life hunting situations as well as hunts that may just end with a doe being stuck rather than the 160+ trophy.

On another note, after realizing I do get the Persuit channel have been watching it a bit and too me it seems like its a little bit cheezy. There are some episodes I enjoy especially hunts with our local gal Michelle Bachmann but other than those the channel itself in my opion compares to the Sportmans channel like channel 45 compares to Fox.

I'm still eager to check out some of those websites you all have mentioned grin

Figured I might learn something watching them over and over...

I have learned if you do the opposite of the tv hunters you will have more success, here are a few examples.

Them: Hunt Field Edges

Us: Hunt the thickest stuff imaginable

Them: Don't disturb bedding areas

Us: Hunt them!

Them: Use latest scents and calls

Us: Throw them in the garbage

Full Draw Fridays on the Outdoor Channel, if I am not working that is my fix for the week.

Wife and I do make it a point to watch the couple shows more, not really for the learning, bragging or sales ploy that most of the shows are about, but we have got to meet and become friends with some of these hunting couples and its fun to see them on TV (and in person).

1. The Crush with Lee & Tiffany

2. Driven with Pat & Nicole

3. Archers Choice with Ralph & Vicki - they are just like us. More fun than anything while in the field.

1. The Crush w/ lee and tiff. I want to see how many more bucks they shoot in the back ham, guts or front shoulder this year. So far they are 4 for 4 including one guest hunter. They did recover them all though....

2. Mathews TV, with the exception of there Texas hunts. The did a cool show from two harbors, mn last year.

3. In Pursuit, with greg and jake. There zooming in segment is pretty cool. They do a fair amount on DIY hunts, however this year they have had more outfitter hunts.

I cn't watch them anymore. Too many behind a tall fence.

I know what you mean. I got a video and in the first hunt you could see the fence and they were shooting deer coming in to a feeder. Kinda like shooting cows in a barn. I threw that video out. I do find myself watching the shows though, they normally beat anything elses thats on TV.

I enjoy The Bone Collector and sometimes will try to catch The Dream Season. I'll also watch any show that is centered around bow hunting Elk. Someday that will be me... some day!

I don't know what it is about Texas hunts but I have absolutely no desire to watch any show that's centered around Texas.

I'm not infatuated with the size of the deer that gets shot on the show and would rather see shows that talk about how they decided where to put a stand, what they can teach us about the deer behavior in the area, and shows any recovery tactics that they may have to use (this happens very rarely it seems).

I am a sucker for a scene where you can hear the deer walking in on the leaves.... that's pretty cool!