• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Direct Tv ..HAS dropped 25 channels and my bill isnt less

fishdog

Everytime I read a thread like this it makes me very glad I got rid of any and all cable/dish services years ago. Seems like the sole purpose of all TV services is to bring relaxation and enjoyment but instead brings nothing but frustration and anger.

The other day I flipped on the TV to catch something on the local news and realized that it was the first time that I had turned on the TV in over a month. Made me feel kind of stupid for buying a new Samsung LED TV last winter.

I don't blame Direct TV or any provider for not caving into the insane prices these channel owners are trying to extort.

I do feel the pain though for the customer!

"The attention surrounding this unnecessary and ill-advised blackout by Viacom has accomplished one key thing: it serves notice to all media companies that bullying TV providers and their customers with blackouts won't get them a better deal." said Derek Chang, executive vice president of content strategy and development for DirecTV, in a statement.

Only thing I miss about them is it doesn't go out during storms. Its bad when your family is huddled around the tv during the summer thunder wanting to know whats coming and you lose reception...

I suggest you get an antenna (radio shack, etc) and either mount it on your roof or put it in your attic or something so that you can get the over-the-air signal from all of the local stations during storms. Get a UHF/VHF combination antenna as some of them are on UHF and some on VHF. Go to somewhere like antennaweb.org if you want to see what channels you can expect to receive in your area.

I got a directional antenna just so that I had a bit more chance of having reception even through rainstorms, and it works great even though I think I'm listed at like 40+ miles from the antenna farms in the NE metro.

With DisnNetwork you can hook up the OTA antenna to your DVR and record off it even, freeing up your satellite cable channel receiver for other things, even if you're DVR-ing something on one of the big 5 networks. I used to do that -- watch twins games on FSNorth while my DVR was recoring something from an OTA channel -- before I switched to DirecTV.

Now I have the antenna hooked up to the TV input for the OTA signal (almost all HDTV sets have a tuner in them, only the very first ones from like the early 2000s don't).

Somebody mentioned that Dish dropped only AMC. They also dumped the IFC channel (old 131). That was what I watched the Three Stooges on every Saturday morning, and also free dirty movies at night!!

DD

Quote:
I do wish one of them or some new kid on the block would offer Ala Carte packages, pay for the channels you want!

Agreed, but they know that they've got 80% of the country by the who-ha's. All that I want to know is how cheaply I can get FSN. I can and do live comfortably without watching most other channels. I like to have baseball and hockey available when I want though, and unfortunately I pay $60-70/month for that luxury. Idiots like me keep paying those rates so there is no reason for them to offer an ala-cart plan

if people wouldve called directv instead of jumping to conclusions you would have heard that they added mlb extra innings free and some movie channels to compensate while they sorted it out, and last i heard was that viacoms increas was around a billion dollars, but directv is still one of the cheapest for what you get, i missed those channels as much as the next guy i just used netflix to stream what i wanted, its actually still cheaper for me to use comcast internet and directv than to bundle my comcast.

just go strictly internet and stream the tv shows you watch.. then you'll have all that extra time on your hands when you dont have a glowing box to fill in the void

Viacom pulled the plug on all their shows online as well. DirecTv was looking out for its subscribers over this whole deal. MTV has to be the worst channel anymore compared to what it once was when I was a kid. I am happy they worked everything out, now the kids are happy getting Sponge Bob back.

Viacom pulled the plug on all their shows online as well. DirecTv was looking out for its subscribers over this whole deal. MTV has to be the worst channel anymore compared to what it once was when I was a kid. I am happy they worked everything out, now the kids are happy getting Sponge Bob back.

Direct Tv has dropped 25 channels(comedy central,mtv,spike,nickoledan,tv land,bet, and more) all gone because they dont want to pay more to viacom,

BUT their customers still pay the same for less channels.not to mention my favorite shows are all gone.

Im droping them ASP and geting my Cable Tv from charter or dish net.

So you would have rather kept the channels and had to pay more?

Personaly, I think the federal goverment should provide taxpayers:

A free cable tv,landphone,AND internet

Uniting our whole country.

Everyone would have extra cash to stimulate our economy as well as giving the USA a global edege in future technology developments, and maybe there wouldnt be any more of that deep southern accent ....ya'all (joking).Private cell/home phones could be sold for unlisted privacy..

THE TECNOLOGY IS HERE, ITS CREATORS GOT RICH AND LONG GONE,SO LETS MAKE IT FREE FOR THE FREE.

Free eh? Nice thought but that doesn't work.

Who do you suppose is going to pay to keep it all working/routine maintenance, pay for the upgrades/equipment, for the connections to homes, etc., etc., etc.?

If you say the government, well, that's you (or somebody else) ultimately through taxes.