• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats easier to catch, a trophy walleye or a trophy bluegill?

klatt45

Just put your self on the right bodie of water and a trophy class fish of just about any species is possible. If your fishing a lake with mostly smaller fish then it could take a life time to catch something worth mounting.

in my opinion a trophy walley before a gill. i have cought over the years two gill's over a pound. both from the same lake fishing for walley's. that lake has very few gills in them. my buddy had a 1.4 and a 1.2 mounted from that lake. both cought fishing for walleys. but i have caught many more walley's over 26 inches and two 31 inchers. like the last poster said, it's realy about the lake or river you fish. also which species you fish the most for.

i dont intentionaly fish for large gills or walleye's. i get them more with luck and the right lake for the most part. good luck.

Good question. If your talking strictly minnesota. A trophy to me would be a 31-32" walleye and a 12" gill.

.....I wonder how many years it'll take me! grin

But, i don't spend enough time on waters that produce numbers of big fish. All i know is that when that day comes, the trophy will live to be caught another day.

But if your looking to catch a trophy gill to a minnesotan, head south and you'll catch one of those before that monster walleye.

I would say a trophy fish in any specie depends on the state you are located in.

A big gill in Mn would not be much out of the ponds in the SE part of the country.

In Mn, I would say from my expierence, they are about the same as far as a 10" gill to a 30 inch walleye.

As Ried stated, hit the right lakes for ceretain specie to boat a trophy. Some lakes or river simply have larger fish than others.

I would also say a trophy size is different for every angler.

I would think walleyes would be easier to get but from my experience i guess its bluegills. lol, i'm only 21 so i guess i got plenty of years to get that trophy walleye. To me a trophy gill just has to be over that 10in mark. Both of my gills came ice fishing, one on pelican, the other on a lake i've barely fish but me and my buddy found some monster gills, so i guess i'll have to hit that lake hard next winter. I usually don't fish the big walleye factory lakes so my trophy walleye only needs to be 27in or 7lbs.

Like others have said its all about location...

I can go up my neighbors pond now and most likely catch a 10in or bigger gill...

As for walleyes, I probably catch 3-500 a year locally and may get one or two "trophys". But If I spend 3-5 days at the right time of the year on the right body of water i'll get a few or more...

In general terms, for Minnesota, would say walleye. People will more readily release a 28 incher that has the possibility to grow larger. A 9 inch gill usually ends up in the pan......

I agree with PB's assessment but will also add, it depends on what you fish for the most. Spend more time concentrating on type of fish or the other and you'll be increasing your odds in that direction.

I've taken most of my recent trophy gills and walleyes on the same lake. The lake is known for producing quality fish of both species but I'm mostly fishing for walleyes. I've caught me best gills while fishing for walleyes. I bet if I spent as much time targeting the bigger gills I'd see more - and I might. 10 inch gills are nice.

About the same I guess. I have a 29" walleye and a 9.5" BG (both released). Neither could quite be considered a trophy.

I do hope people start to release the bigger gills/crappies. Around where I fish I do see a lot of people release the large pannies. Plenty of 7 inch BG's for the pan.

I think its easier to catch a trophy gill by far. At least in north central MN. Lots of lakes where you can catch several over 10" in a day. Hard to get several 30" walleye in a day, or even 1.

a also agree jim, that an 11" gill is the equivelent of a 32" + walleye. you don't see many gills over 11.

Trophy gill by far is easier in my opinion. We used to have a cabin up on a lake that's off of 94 before you get to Alexandria and when the lake was in it's hay day in the late 80's and early 90's we would catch 11" gills on a weekly basis. I have one on the wall that taped at 11.5. I have caught dozens of walleyes between 26-29 1/2 but have yet to break the 30" mark. IMO a trophy walleye (for me personally) is 30+. Eventaully I will break that 30" mark so I can put one on the wall.