• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using a Rifle for Bear in the "Shotgun Zone"??

Sorry for another dumb question.............

I will probally hunt with my bow again....But, if I choose to use a firearm can I hunt with a rifle??? (In the shotgun zone)

From what I got out of the regulations it sounds like I can.

(The restriction only applies for deer in November??)

Just trying to cover my bases.......... wink

Thanks for the help smile

And I'm sure this won't be my last dumb question on all of Minnesota's laws

It looks like you can use the rifle. According to the regulation booklet the shotgun/slug restriction only applies to deer hunters. I looked on the map and under the deer laws. It says nothing about that restriction in the bear part.

A little history lesson:

The shotgun only regulation was implemented as an experiment in order to help bring the deer population back up, and it has just stuck since then.

It's only a regulation for deer, no other species of game.

I agree , I just always thought that was the reason, if for no other reason I couldn't think of another other than rifle bulllets travel further and more people living in areas. I don't hunt shotgun I've never checked into it. I was wrong about the rule and the reason for it.

Hunted my whole life in shotgun zone. I still thought that was the reason, even though I knew you could use rifle for lots of other things. Figured it just had to do with how many people were afield at once, had no idea it was a variable they added to limit harvest.

Yep, I contacted the dnr via email a couple years back asking the same question. They said it wasn't because of human safety. The reason was to protect the deer #'s since rifles are easier to kill deer in open fields.