• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Fish House Build

Lip_Ripper Guy

Sorry for the delay.

F03CA3E4-440A-4420-BABE-1825CA694AD8-935

Inside is an electronic reel, and single mantle propane lantern.

130D37F9-0615-40AA-B00E-2D71EB51A40A-935

The blue cold weather cord on the right side runs back to an outlet on the house, and then is connected to the inside buzzer. These ran all winter on a 20# tank. Never had any issues with the holes freezing up, all the way down to at least -20. The only time I turned the lantern off the lowest setting was when it was windy.

Now that's American ingenuity! Sweet set up LRG. Any chance you retired from engineering? wink

Haha...far from an engineer! I am working on a wireless setup for these, but I have no idea if/when they'll be done. I had it almost figured out last year, but I'm missing one key piece and can't seem to track it down.

I would imagine better than a tip up becuase you don't have to constantly monitor the flag. And also don't have to worry about freezing the tip up to the ice and losing it.

I'd have to worry about getting it run over by snowmobilers and such but looks like a real nice set up.

cool idea but what is the purpose of them?

Nothing (except a flasher) has helped me catch more fish than these boxes. I hate tip ups. They are always frozen, or stuck, or you forget to check the flag every 5 minutes, etc.

These give you 24 hours of tip up fishing, with none of the drawbacks. The holes never freeze. You know instantly when you get a bite. You never have to check for a flag. You have a place to keep your hands warm if the fish is slow to take line. The light is built in.

How many of those boxes do you have? If you have more than one is there a way to know which one has the fish when the buzzer goes off in the house?

2 last year, adding another 2 this year.

Each box has a LED light on the buzzer inside the house, so you know which is which.

In that same regard, if you had more than one going, it would be nice to have a beacon light on the outside of it to make them more visible and then if you got a bite the light could change to flashing or something...

I am testing a small red LED clearance light on the outside of the box, just in case you forget which box is which. It hasn't been a problem. I am hesitant to add anything with flash that will attract more attention from the "monkey-see, monkey-do'ers".

There is red and white reflective tape on all sides of the boxes, plus the propane tanks. There is no way to not see them. If a snowmobile hits one, they will be going WAY too fast, WAY to close to my fish house.

Quote:
Nothing (except a flasher) has helped me catch more fish than these boxes. I hate tip ups. They are always frozen, or stuck, or you forget to check the flag every 5 minutes, etc.

These give you 24 hours of tip up fishing, with none of the drawbacks. The holes never freeze. You know instantly when you get a bite. You never have to check for a flag. You have a place to keep your hands warm if the fish is slow to take line. The light is built in.

oh ok cool