• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grilling a whole vension backstrap

I saved a whole backstrap from my deer last fall for Turkey hun ting this year. Want to grill the whole thing at once. Any ideas on how do do it. Give it a char first then move over indirect heat to finish off? I know salt and pepper is tasty but was thinking of maybe adding something for more flavor. Shoot me your best ideas!

I never cut my back straps always leave them whole.. I have a marinade that I use and let it sit for 24 hrs and then i put it on a hot grill for about 5 min a side so that the middle is still red and warm ... it's the best I've ever had

John

I marinade in vinegar and BBQ sauce overnight then grill it on LOW and SLOW

I have also basted mine with ranchdressing as it grills and this is another favorite. Again Low heat and Slow cooking

I have been leaveing the backstraps whole for the last 6-7 years and will not go back to cutting them up.

Lots of ways to do it, but I'll share what works for me.

Depending on how long your backstrap is, you may want to cook it as two peices.

When butcher your deer, if you start at the rump bone and cut all the way down past the shoulder blades into the begining of the neck, one end might be 3 1/2-4" wide. The opposite end tapers down to a point at the neck.

The back 2/3rds is much thicker, making it easy to over-cook the thinner section from between the shoulder blades. I will cut off the thinner section (prime rib??), and toss it on the grill last (to prevent wrecking some of the most delicious part of a deer wink )

For seasoning we sometimes do a marinade, but often find ourselves simply sprinkling with sea salt and rolling in olive oil. Then sear the meat on a pre-heated grill on all sides, and finishing over medium low flames until 115-120 max is reached in the center. We then let the cut rest for a few minutes before serving with a fresh side of aspargus or fiddle heads smile

There's more than one way to skin a cat, but this is my favorite, and it doesn't get any easier! The only thing you can mess up is overcooking the cut........ For the best flavor I want it to still be grunting LOL smile

This is by far voted as the best from many due to flavors blending well with the Venison and the slight carmelization on the meat as it grills:

1/2 C. Hoisen Sauce

2-TBSP Sesame Oil

3 Finely chopped Scallion (Green Onions)

2-4 Smashed Garlic Cloves

2-Tbsps. Brown Sugar

2 TBsps. Rice Wine Vinegar(or cider)

Red Pepper Flakes to taste (Optional)

Mix all ingredients well, place backstraps into a ziploc gallon bag,pour marinade into bag, coat meat well, seal bag removing any trapped air, marinate 5-24 hours (depending on your taste or time, grill to med rare and enjoy.

I also use this on Ribeyes...

For seasoning we sometimes do a marinade, but often find ourselves simply sprinkling with sea salt and rolling in olive oil. Then sear the meat on a pre-heated grill on all sides, and finishing over medium low flames until 115-120 max is reached in the center. We then let the cut rest for a few minutes...

This is similar to what I do. Start with your strap at room temp, rub it in olive oil until it has a nice sheen, sprinkle on seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper to taste, then sear on hot coals until it has a nice char. Move to indirect heat until internal temp is where you want it... I pull it at 125, or so, and rest it in foil for at least fifteen minutes before cutting it up. I can't overstate the importance of a meat thermometer for cooking...well, anything, but especially whole straps, loins, roasts, etc. Too good of a piece of meat to overcook!

I know salt and pepper is tasty but was thinking of maybe adding something for more flavor. Shoot me your best ideas!

Generous amount of Montreal Steak Seasoning.

P.S.

Was going to say a liberal amount of Montreal Steak Seasoning but I was afraid the post would get deleted. laugh

Marinade with a cola I use diet pepsi, add bbq sauce, ketchup, A1 sauce, some onion powder, garlic powder, and montreal steak seasoning. Soak for a day or two. When cooking season again with onion powder, garlic powder, montreal steak seasoning, sea salt, and olive oil. Grill on high heat for four minutes a side or less. I keep making it this way as this is the only way the kids will eat it. Has a sweet bbq taste to it and is tender.

Mmmmmm! I can taste it now. I don't know how anyone could possibly cook any substantial chunk of meat without a thermometer. My grill, smoker or oven is only as good as the readout that tells me what temp I'm cooking at and the probe I stick in the meat that tells me when it's done.

Quote:
Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~ Oscar Ameringer

That is just tooooo good, Kidd. Sorry, got side tracked. I think "liberal" amounts of seasoning is going to be OK over here. grin

This is similar to what I do. Start with your strap at room temp, rub it in olive oil until it has a nice sheen, sprinkle on seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper to taste, then sear on hot coals until it has a nice char. Move to indirect heat until internal temp is where you want it... I pull it at 125, or so, and rest it in foil for at least fifteen minutes before cutting it up. I can't overstate the importance of a meat thermometer for cooking...well, anything, but especially whole straps, loins, roasts, etc. Too good of a piece of meat to overcook!

This is pretty much exactly how I do it as well. Get the grill screaming hot (I use lump charcoal, it burns hotter than the pre-formed stuff). I pull mine off when it hits 115-120. Be sure to let it rest for a good 15 minutes before cutting. A half hour is better, good luck holding out that long though!

Well the strap turned out great. What I did was fry up onion, green pepper and garlic in a pan. Butterflied the whole strap and put the onion, pepper and garlic in that I fried. Then laid out a pack of bacon then set the strap on it and folded the pieces of bacon up and used tooth picks to hold it closed. Cooked over indirect heat until it was med/ med rare. Pulled off and let sut for 10 minutes. It was outstanding!