• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Line - Looking for input.

Down Deep

Myself I have loved Gamma for years...its a shame that it's so hard to find now days... I have had luck with the northland tackle line but haven't put it to much of a test yet... I think if you look towards Suffix Elite you will find it pretty similar to Gamma far as strength and abrasion resistance. That's my go-to now.

When Gamma was fading out, I was on a search for a replacement line. In terms of strength and performance, Yozuri Hybrid fared really close to it as well as ASSO Tetramax.

Some line break strength that I tested for my own reference.

Gamma High Performance .200 mm 4# line break 7# 9 oz. Mfg claim break of 8.5#

ASSO Tetramax .180 mm 4# line break 7# 1 oz. Mfg claim break of 7.5#

Yozuri Hybrid .235 mm 4# line break 7# 4 oz. Mfg claim break of 8.5#

Silverthread Excalibur .179 mm 4# line break 5# 12 oz.

Pline Floroclear .18 mm 4# line break 5# 14 oz.

If I am looking for a Mono, I really like Sufix Elite. Good line and good price.

Flouro, I tried X50 from Cabelas and was REALLY happy with it last year and I will rig it again this year.

BPS also has good flouro, their XPS has impressed me.

Braid, Sufix 832, all the way

I'v been a Berkley guy forever, but after reading about Gamma so many times on here I have to go get some.

My questions:

Is it mono? flouro? Does it absorb water(float or sink)?

I'm wondering because I use different lines for different situations.

That's great news about Gamma. I haven't seen it back in the stores yet, but I'll keep an eye out. Since Gamma's been gone I've went with Suffix Elite and I have to say I like that too. I've never been a Trilene fan, I seem to get more line twist and memory with Trilene. I've also used PLine floroclear and liked that too.

Iam really impressed with this new Pline CXX I bought this year I bought it in the 4# and its super strong and it has great abrasion resistance. I am a Gamma lover too...

I have used Gamma, and cannot complain. However, new favorite is the Berkley Trilene trans-optic. Used this stuff when it first came on like spring of 2010? It is a gold color line (great vis) when out of water and in lite, and it is invis when under the water, hence the name trans-optic. This is great line for spinning reels. Just spooled up all of mine for this season.. I should also mention that it can last all season long, fish at least 3 times/ week, and it does not seem to harm the line with the UV rays etc.. 6# test for me..

One problem with any fishing line is evaluating it by lb test as indicated on the label....Line diameter would be a far more accurate way to compare lines.....Most lines are stronger than the indicated lb test and vary greatly from brand and line type...For example I use Sufix promix 6lb test , .25 mm diameter...My Tectan 5.9lb test is .16 mm diameter , Tectan 13.9 lb test is .25 mm diameter, the same as 6lb test Sufix ,and both have about the same break strenght close to 13lbs......Line diameter carries the day for comparison purposes........I rarily use anything higher than 13.9 lb Tectan for bass , unless I'm into heavy weed or pad applications , and then I use 20-50 lb braid.