• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where does the invasive sticker go?

mrpike1973

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* (1) They eliminated a revenue source by dropping the need to license our boat trailers.

* (2) They eliminated a revenue source by dropping the need to license portable shelters.

* (3) They’ve spent huge amounts of money buying a handful of portable pressure washers to manage AIS on 10,000+ lakes. That’s like trying to drain Mille Lacs with a bucket. Anyone that thinks these pressure washers are a cost effective way of dealing with this problem must be smoking some pretty good stuff. Please share.

* (4) They’ve spent a bunch of money on stickers that devalue our boats and without any requirement for compliance, education, or training do very little to even raise awareness.

* (5) They’ve increased licenses and other fees to offset the revenue lost when they dropped other license requirements.

* (6) We’ve added a sales tax to generate millions of dollars to be spent on the environment. Is any of this money being used to help research or resolve the situation?

* (7) A couple years ago they had the brainy idea that closing the channels between the Alex area chain lakes to boater traffic would prevent the zebra mussels from spreading into the rest of the chain. I don’t have a degree in biology but my feeble education still allows me to understand that if mussels can attach to my boat while it is out in the middle of the lake, they will most certainly not pay attention to a ban on boat traffic through a channel between lakes. The rule was revoked the following year because the mussels were found in the neighboring lakes. Go figure.

Okay Bob, have it your way.

1 and 2 are gimmes, you can't honestly say the DNR was behind cutting their own funding.

3. The DNR has been collecting travel patterns for nearly two decades as part of their watercraft inspection program. They know where the major (infested) hubs are. That is where the decontamination units are going. You really think giving people the opportunity to clean their boats is a bad idea and waste of your boat registration dollars? On what grounds? That every landing doesn't have one? That it won't work? I can't see how cleaning boats at known high probability locations is a bad idea. Shame on the DNR for potentially promoting such an idea.

4. Compliance - Some folks want it, but then complain when new regulations have teeth. Education - the entire focus of the last nearly 20 years was on education. Watercraft Inspectors handed out literature, "Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers" were on billboards, TV, and radio, your fishing regulations, the boating guide, news releases from the DNR and from popular media. The education component has been in place for a very long time. Training - what training is needed? The stickers and notes in the regulation books aren't enough? Drain, Clean, Inspect? The whole point of recent legislation is to wrap up all three of those concepts together.

5. If license fee increases were just to offset lost customers, we'd be talking coins, not dollar bills. Or is this in reference to the ice fishing shelter tags that the legislature dropped? I'm sure the DNR was behind that, see #'s 1 and 2.,

6. Last I heard, the LSOHC was listening to a number of proposals for AIS research. The legacy amendment reads "The dedicated money under this section must supplement traditional sources of funding for these purposes and may not be used as a substitute."

7. Alexandria isn't my backyard, so you would know better than me, but that sure sounds like a local governance issue. I know lots of counties have ordinances about motor restrictions and direction of travel on lakes, and they originated with county officials. Considering Minnesota has had an inland lentic system infested with zeebs that have been transferred downstream for over a decade (Ossawinnamakee), I strongly doubt the DNR was behind the closure.

* They’ve spent a bunch of money on stickers that devalue our boats and without any requirement for compliance, education, or training do very little to even raise awareness

Devalue ? Gee peel the sticker off before you sell it. Money ? Dont worry about they will get it back from all those people who cant take time or effort to learn the laws. Compliance ? Its the law, law requires compliance . Education ? If you read the sticker it has all the education you need. Awareness ? It's law people should be aware before they launch the boat. Training ? Last time I remember any training on State rules or law i was in drivers Ed . I was 15 all I cared about was driving the car not rules or laws. I am older now. Sorry but come on people get over it.

While I think it is good to inform people about AIS. My only beef is what are they doing about the out-of-state fisherman that bring their boats into our state. If we are having problems trying to get it straight on what to do and where to put stuff and finding the regulations. They don't have a chance.

Too many people out there with little or no common sense so the rest of us must pay!!!

Non-resident license fees were increased to offset the lost revenue from eliminating the shelter fee.

Bob, you should know by now that it is never the DNR's fault. Ever. They bring their own wish list to the legislature, but when it is something that the people don't like the lawmakers are blamed for passing it. Then, when the lawmakers pass something that the rank and file outdoors person is in favor of or just letting the proposal have its due process in committee, they are blamed by the know-it-all elitist sporting groups and DNR kool-aid drinkers that they aren't letting the DNR biologists do their job.

I got checked by the Game Worden yesterday on Spunk Lake in Avon. I asked him what this I hear that we need a new sticker for our boats? He says yes you do. I asked him when do I need this by? His reply was NOW. So I asked him where do I pick one up? He said were you get one of these which he was holding my license. Then I asked where do I put it once I pick one up? He looked puzzled and said any where in the boat is fine. Après to me he had no idea where it goes on the boat.

The sticker isn't that hard to figure out that you need it and where it goes.

BOB T, you don't have to stick the sticker on your boat and "devalue it". Laminate and zip tie it somewhere. That great idea came from a DNR official himself. As far as these lost revenue streams, Bob, would you prefer that they SELL these required stickers to you instead of eating the cost and GIVING them out free (which I am sure none of which will be wasted by the public....) Listen to the screaming begin when all of a sudden people have to pay extra to have them! We thought the crying was bad now!

Quote:
BOB T, you don't have to stick the sticker on your boat and "devalue it". Laminate and zip tie it somewhere. That great idea came from a DNR official himself.

Too little too late, which is part of my complaint. In an attempt to be in compliance I had already stuck it to my boat. I see they (DNR) finally posted the instructions on their HSOforum. Woo-hoo! It's about time! Yeah, let's pass laws but not inform the public how to apply the laws. What a novel idea.

To those that think it doesn't devalue a boat, maybe you don't give a rat's behind about the care and maintenance of your equipment but I do. I also know first-hand how quickly your tone changes when you're negotiating to buy something from someone. Every little scratch, ding, or anything else that you can find to devalue it and hopefully get you a better deal becomes open game. Don't give my your garbage about it not devaluing the property. You think you can peel them off without leaving a trace? Glue sticks, paint fades or peels off with it, etc.

Quote:
As far as these lost revenue streams, Bob, would you prefer that they SELL these required stickers to you instead of eating the cost and GIVING them out free (which I am sure none of which will be wasted by the public....)

No! I would prefer they pull their head out of their rear and think things a little farther out front BEFORE making decisions. “They” implies the DNR or our legislature, whomever is responsible.

Quote:
Listen to the screaming begin when all of a sudden people have to pay extra to have them! We thought the crying was bad now!

We have been for a few years now. Our license fees include a $2.00 surcharge for invasive species control/management. This is the best they could come up with?

It is a 2 piece sticker. The small part goes on the front of the trailer and I put the other part on the back of the boat.

I did the same thing. I figure it was the least intrusive I could think of.

I think there have been some good points brought up on all sides of this issue throughout this thread. Obviously, what I have posted is really nothing more than my own personal opinion. I think the decal idea is a silly waste of time and effort that will not change anything.

This is one time I hope I'm wrong because I'm sure we all agree the bottom line is finding some way to slow the spread of invasive species hopefully enough that a solution can be found before they spread too far.

I guess if it does nothing else, it has certainly raised awareness here on FishingMinnesota.com and maybe we will all do as I have already been doing and that is spreading the word about the decal and AIS.

With that said, I think I will bow out of this argument here.

Recent news release by the DNR.

New required aquatic invasive species rules decal for boaters now available

(Released April 5, 2012)

A new required decal is now available for Minnesota boaters to help remind them of the state’s aquatic invasive species laws, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) announced today.

The free decals are available at:

DNR offices.

Deputy registrar offices where licenses are sold.

Large sporting goods shops.

DNR watercraft inspectors and conservation officers.

The decals will also be included in envelopes with new and renewal watercraft licenses mailed from the DNR.

The decal should be attached to all types of watercraft including canoes, kayaks and duckboats before launching on, entering into, or operating on any Minnesota waters.

The two-piece, gray-and-black decals detail new state laws that watercraft users must follow in order to avoid spreading aquatic invasive species such as zebra mussels, Eurasian watermilfoil and spiny waterfleas.

The decal must be attached to the watercraft, but state law does not specify where that must occur. DNR officials recommend displaying it where it can be read and can be shown to an officer upon request. However, the decal does not need to be in view of the operator (as is the case with the state’s personal watercraft decal), and it does not need to be placed near the watercraft registration decals.

If a watercraft owner does not want to stick the decal on the boat because it is an antique wooden boat or other unique boat, the decal can be attached or laminated to an object like a luggage tag and kept in the boat.

There are two parts to the decal. Watercraft owners and operators must display the top portion of the decal on all watercraft prior to launching on, entering into, or operating on any waters of Minnesota.

The second portion of the decal is intended to be placed on the winch post of watercraft trailers or in another area to remind boaters to remove the boat’s drain plug when leaving a water access area as required by state law. It also reminds boaters to replace the plug before launching. This decal is not required by law.

There is no penalty in effect, but conservation officers can issue a warning for not displaying the decal. After Aug. 1, 2014, it will be a petty misdemeanor for boaters who fail to display the decal on their watercraft.

More information about aquatic invasive species laws is available on DNR HSOforum.