• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where does the invasive sticker go?

mrpike1973

If I recall the small one is just a reminder to pull the drain plugs. If you do not use a trailer and do not have a winch then it is anyone's guess where to put it. If you have a canoe with no drain plug then the value or need of a drain plug sticker is questionable but probably still required.

. It is clear there are many variables and that maybe why they are struggling with telling us exactly where to put both pieces.

If writing laws was easy we probably wouldn't have lawyers. not defending just saying ... I guess since everyones situation is different you have to use your best judgement on where to stick it. If you remove the weeds, make sure plugs you have are open and make sure you have the stickers available

You 'should' be ok. If You still get a ticket then fight it. No point in fighting it now it is 'a done deal'

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q. Do they need to be on watercraft, even if the watercraft does not need a license?

A. Yes, all watercraft including seaplanes and duck boats are included under the law.

I want to see the seaplane inspect for invasives after leaving the lake, prior to entering the next lake.

Bunch of clowns thinking up these rules. crazy

"this is a knee-jerk attempt to give appearances of doing something and nothing more."

Couldn't agree more. Also the fine will have to be steep to cover the cost of all these stickers.

Reminds me of the childrens story of the little Dutch boy sticking his finger in the hole of a leaking dike.

I'm getting the feeling that "We"(sportsmen) are their advertising campaign. As everyone else that I talk to about this, that isn't a fisherman, Hasn't a clue to what sticker I'm talking about.

To recap for my exam.

The smaller decal needs to be placed by the winch on the trailer as a reminder.

1 out of 2 ain't bad.

The bottom portion is completely optional. It is an idi0t sticker that they had to make due to the "pull your drain plug" law. Evidently people forgot that there are certain things they need to do to properly operate a watercraft, installing the plug being one of them, and now there is a sticker to remind them. I have to wonder who dresses these people in the mornings. smirk

Yep, more spending and more waste due to prior hogwash regulations...i.e the snowball effect.

I want to see the seaplane inspect for invasives after leaving the lake, prior to entering the next lake.

Bunch of clowns thinking up these rules. crazy

Now that's just too funny. I didn't even think of that at first.

Maybe a turtle might cross the road from one lake to another.

They cannot cover it all or they would have to close the lake down.

Bobt, when you go swimming, put the decal on your butt cheek. wink

I think as long as so many are against trying to slow the spread of AIS, maybe we should do nothing and just let the chips fall where they may. That should work pretty good until some start to complain the DNR did nothing. No matter what they do, it will not satisfy all. never has, never will.

I think as long as so many are against trying to slow the spread of AIS, maybe we should do nothing and just let the chips fall where they may.

I haven't seen or heard where people are against trying to slow down the spread of AIS. Where are these people?

i think your right Limit as far as most people are doing their best with controling the spread right now. i think Harvey's point is more like this in my opinion. those who think this is all a waste of time, should look back in time when the sea lamprey all but destroyed the great lakes [Lake Superior expecialy} as far as it's lake trout population.

it wasn't "our" fault that the lamprey's took over the lake. however measures were taken to "control" the lamprey's. so today we see the lake trout population is back along with many other species. so yes, we didn't get rid of the lamprey's, but we controled them to a point where they do little damage today. hopefully by these measures and more compliance by all anglers and those that use our waters, the invasives we have now can be controlled to a point where little damage is done. good luck.

Oh but they will. Maybe they will notice all those stickers everyone else has ?

Ever see a boat on the side of the road with burned out wheel bearings. Ever wait for someone to fix their trailers lights before leaving on a fishing trip. Bad tires expired registration did not know you need a throwable a fire extinguisher. Does not know the limits or slots ?

People simply want to dump the boat on the water and leave work behind they simply have no desire to learn the rules learn the laws or prepare.

some times it takes a knee jerk reaction to get people's attention. Either facing them closely or standing close behind them.

Stick a fork in this one. Look for people who don't have stickers and warn them, know someone who has a boat and no time or energy to google mn DNR or learn current laws ? well maybe warn them.

Law is law , done is done

Yup, there's always some laws people don't agree with yet they still want the the better situation.

pinching barbs in Manitoba

live bait and some trolling rules in wisconsin

stickers, no plug while out of water, one line in open water in Minn

no family non resident license in Iowa

probably something in South Dakota I don't know about

I guess we have choices,

1/ don't go there

2/ don't abide by the laws we don't like(which is breaking the law!)

3/ complain, or don't complain, and abide by the laws and go have FUN

4/ communicate our views to those in charge

I choose number three, lifes too short, and if there is a law I personally don't agree with, well, it doesn't mean I don't agree with the result it is intended for.

Sooo, I'll drive to a bait store from Iowa with my plug out of the boat, get my 2012 license and the new sticker, and smile when I set the hook.

I agree that anything is better than nothing at this point. I will be sure to put the stickers on and in plain sight, no problem there. But when we see all these other resources not being used, like why is this not on the front page of their web site? Even a notation on the cover of the fishing and boating regulations booklets alerting to changes in regulations and laws about AIS. More signs at ramps on infested waters, billboards, mainstream media...? I think it would be great to see the governor stick one on the boat he goes out in on opener, or at least point it out to the media.

By signing our watercraft, fishing and hunting licenses we are already agreeing for being responsible for keeping up to date and following current laws and regulations.

Ignorance of the law has never been an excuse and law enforcement isn't obligated to issue even a first time warning.

I think this sticker campaign has sparked the Huckleberry Finn in a lot of us. As Americans most of us have a tough time when someone tells us, we Can't Do this, or we Have To do that. 2c

Okay, I was being sarcastic. My boat isn't worth $30,000.00 but it could be and I didn't put the sticker on the bottom but I could have. So the DNR is crying for money. I see the postings all over their HSOforum, hear it on the news, and read about it in the newspaper.

In recent years what has happened?

* They eliminated a revenue source by dropping the need to license our boat trailers.

* They eliminated a revenue source by dropping the need to license portable shelters.

* They’ve spent huge amounts of money buying a handful of portable pressure washers to manage AIS on 10,000+ lakes. That’s like trying to drain Mille Lacs with a bucket. Anyone that thinks these pressure washers are a cost effective way of dealing with this problem must be smoking some pretty good stuff. Please share.

* They’ve spent a bunch of money on stickers that devalue our boats and without any requirement for compliance, education, or training do very little to even raise awareness.

* They’ve increased licenses and other fees to offset the revenue lost when they dropped other license requirements.

* We’ve added a sales tax to generate millions of dollars to be spent on the environment. Is any of this money being used to help research or resolve the situation?

* A couple years ago they had the brainy idea that closing the channels between the Alex area chain lakes to boater traffic would prevent the zebra mussels from spreading into the rest of the chain. I don’t have a degree in biology but my feeble education still allows me to understand that if mussels can attach to my boat while it is out in the middle of the lake, they will most certainly not pay attention to a ban on boat traffic through a channel between lakes. The rule was revoked the following year because the mussels were found in the neighboring lakes. Go figure.

Things that make you say, “Hmmm.” The efforts seem to be reactionary rather than proactive; focusing more on appearances than results. If they spent their efforts and money on treating the illness instead of the symptoms, maybe we’d be a little closer to a solution. I personally have tried to support what our DNR does but some of the antics of late have me questioning my position. How dissappointing.

Point of information. All of the 'they' you describe above are your elected representatives at work, not the DNR.

To those who asked - the best way to stop the spread of invasive species would be to eliminate/close public landings, or at least 98% of them and require a wash station and inspection for any that remain open. The MN/DNR policy/goal of having a public access on every lake in the state is clearly the main reason we have an AIS problem in the first place. That's reality and a fact.

But the stickers make the populace feel good as it gives the appearance that the DNR and the legislature really care about this issue. Plus, in the future if a$$'s need to be covered, the DNR/Legislature can say "look at all the money we spent on stuff; decals, wash stations, extra CO's, studies, public meetings, etc..it's not like we weren't trying.

Quote:
Point of information. All of the 'they' you describe above are your elected representatives at work, not the DNR.

Who do you think provides the "expert" feedback and recommendations to the legislature? The DNR isn't getting off that easy.