• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota State High School Clay Target League

Anyone here have a kid participate in this?

My son wants to do this but will not be old enough for this year. We have a whole year to practice and figure this out so I was wondering if any one had any insight on how this league works? What kind of a gun would be best to use? Anything else we might need to know?

If there has been a post on this could someone give me a link? I can't find any posts regarding this league.

There really has been nothing on here with the clay crowd. If their is any advise or question let me know. I have won a few shoots here and there and took state champ at my yardage in 2000.

As far as guns a 12ga and one that (fits him)you could buy a $8,000 trap gun but that doesn't mean a hill of beans if it doesn't fit him. Also almost every missed target comes from thinking clear your head and don't think trap shooting should look like a machine on the field everything is repetition.

I would start by contacting the school.

My sons want to get into shooting sports this year also but the school doesnt have a program for it so we may try and enroll in a towns program near by

. What I mean I a Zimmerman address and the kids go to school in Princeton Zimmerman offers it and Princeton does not.

Another thing is get your kid involed with a club that has youth leagues.

I hopeing for this also.

Dave I know that the range off of old 169 near Jordan closed and that really bites for you guys. I have been talking with y brother who was a long time member and some of his friends our trying to put something together but It doesnt sound good for anytime soon.

I would start by contacting the school.

My sons want to get into shooting sports this year also but the school doesnt have a program for it so we may try and enroll in a towns program near by

. What I mean I a Zimmerman address and the kids go to school in Princeton Zimmerman offers it and Princeton does not.

Another thing is get your kid involed with a club that has youth leagues.

I hopeing for this also.

Dave I know that the range off of old 169 near Jordan closed and that really bites for you guys. I have been talking with y brother who was a long time member and some of his friends our trying to put something together but It doesnt sound good for anytime soon.

Gordie,

If you got a few guys together to work on a program it looks like it is really easy to get a program started in your school. Our program shoots at Caribou Gun Club in Le Sueur and they have sponsors like the local sportsman's club that help with expenses.

http://www.mnclaytarget.com/aboutmshsctl.html Go to their HSOforum and click on "start a new team". They went from 3 teams in 2008 to 29 teams in 2011.

There really has been nothing on here with the clay crowd. If their is any advise or question let me know. I have won a few shoots here and there and took state champ at my yardage in 2000.

Thanks for the offer, I will probably take you up on some advice at some point.

Dave also look into the ATA or Amateur Trapshooting Association for shoots around the state. A lot of gun clubs get junior teams together and compete in the state and national shoots.

I shot in a ATA league back when I was in High School. the local club organized it and they provided 2 boxes of shells each week for practice. the highlight of the season was when we all went to the state ATA shoot at St Cloud (back when it was held at Del Ton). at the state shoot we would each shot 200 rounds (all provided for free by one of the ammo companies). it was a fun time. I have thought about getting back into it now as a adult. the local club does have a individual 16 yrd league that I thought about signing up for.

Check with the fine people at the Buffalo Gun Club, they have a very successful youth program and are willing to share info, especially to get youth shooting.

Their team sucked I always cleaned house on them grin

I'm just kidding they have a exceptional program and instructors,also the Annandale team was normally the team to beat every year.

My son, a sophomore at Elk River, has participated in the past 2 yrs. I gave him my 12ga pump and bought a new one for myself...;-)

It is a great program. During the season, they shoot once a week at the local participating range. they do not travel to other sites except for the state tourney in June. One thing to think about is arranging transportation for them each week, as guns are not allowed on school property, even cased and in your vehicle.

My son is still talking about joining this league in the spring instead of playing baseball. Considering that I am on a budget, what type of gun do you think I should get him for this? He only has a .410 right now and is a little afraid of shooting a 12 gauge but I think if I got one his size he would see that he could shoot it just fine. Would a 20 gauge work or would it make it too challenging? What type of action is best? Can I get away with a pump or single shot or does he need a semi-auto?

Dave any gun will work, 12 or 20 gauge, with any action. Just get him one that fits. He will only be shooting from the 16 yard line. I would make sure it has removable chokes. If you have friends with gun go out and shoot some. See how he reacts between a 12 and a 20. Some 20's can kick just as hard as a 12 depending on the action of the gun.

Their are were 200 schools participating in this league in 2012, there have been over 90 new inquiries about joining for 2013. They just started a fall league. It is the fastest growing sport in minnesota. The MN state high school league will discuss trap shooting at their December meeting. I really think it will become a sanctioned high school sport very soon.

PS. Your son could probably still play baseball and be in this league.