• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I think either or is going to be a sweet choice, I liked the .270 i had a lot, and have only shot an 06 a couple times. Would the .270 be a little less of a mule to shoot in a lighter gun like the Tikka? It's probably the choice I would make unless i was planning to head west and hunt elk or something of that nature... (I have heard some places either don't allow, or make you prove you can shoot a .270 before they will let you hunt with them for elk, even though i think it is plenty capable of the task) 2c

I think That if someone handed you either gun loaded and all you did was fire you could not tell the difference.IMO

I have shot both in the Ruger Mod M77 and no difference between those and also in the Weatherby Vanguard Mods and could't tell the difference.

I do not own a .270 but I do own a couple of 30-06's the biggest reason I like the 06 is the variety of bullets compared to the .270.

I would love to own a .270 I also belive the 270 is very capable of taking Elk.

just for reference, both rounds are basically the same cartrage but the 270 is just necked down to the smaller bullet diameter than the 06, .27 vs. the .30, roughly, meaning the .270 under the same powder charge will travel faster, slightly, than the 06, and be a little flatter shooting, recoil we be almost identical in which ever rifle you get, if it were me id get the 30-06, great allround round, you can kill most big game in north america with it, and plenty of people will say a .270 will do so as well, theres really no bad choice between the 2

goodluck on your purchase,and let us know what you get,

mike,

Anything you can kill with an '06 you can with a 270. Once you get out to 200-300 yards they carry almost the same amount of energy. Based on 130 grain 270 and 150 grain '06. If you sight both rifles 2.5 inches high the 270 won't rise above or fall below 3 inches out to 300-305 yards. The '06 won't rise or fall 3 inches to about 285 yards. Very close, but I picked up the 270 as it shoots a touch flatter.