• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

String Wax

I wax mine a couple time a year. Really simple, really cheap. Just rub it om and smear it up and down with your fingers. I think it helps keep the string from drying out and becoming brittle, therefor extending the life of the string. I don't know the price nowdays as I am still using the tube I bought 15 years ago but I can't imagine it is more than a few bucks.....

Paceman is right. It is very cheap.

You will know when it is time to wax your string because you will start to see small hairs on your string. You dont need to wax where the string has been serviced, just where the actual string is showing. I do mine after I shoot four or five sessions.

Apply the wax. Then you want to rub the wax and string fast to create enough friction to melt the wax in to the string. Very quick and simple. Will increase the life of your string.

I wax my string as soon as it starts to get a little "hairy". Usually 2-3 times a season. Once before and then one after. Super easy to apply and will extend the life of the string. I usually buy more than one tube because you never seem to have it when you need it. I keep one in the house and one in the case.

I was just shown how to do this by a shop and here is what I took away.

- No need to overdue it. Only needed when you start to see it get "hairy"

- Depends who you talk to regarding wax on servings. If applied lightly and properly, it has not caused problems to servings and can help prolong their life.

- To apply, put a small amount on fingers and then on string. Then take a piece of leather and rub the wax into the string. Some friction helps heat the wax into the string.

I have also used a hair dryer after rubbing the wax, really heps penetrate the wax into the strings.

I would shy away from the hair dryer. The worst things for a bow string are UV/sunlight and heat. Just holding your fingers tight and rubbing down the bow string will be enough too get the job done.

I definitely agree with Sniper regarding the hair dryer. Also, the leather comment mentioned above is a good one- it really helps work the wax into the string.

If you shoot enough you'll start to get a feel for when your string will start to look a little gnarly- I wax mine just before it starts to look this way. I lightly apply it directly to the string/cables and work it over good with a small piece of leather. It only takes a couple minutes and will improve the live of your string/calbes.

Did not want to give out the wrong impression here.

I do not heat it until the wax falls off the strings....

I use it in conjunction with the application. while I am rubbing it into the strings I just hit it lightly to help with the absorbtion of the wax.

For as much heat I put on it with the hair dryer, your bow probably gets hotter sitting in your truck in a black case.

Better to have wax on your strings and experience some heat, then no wax at all.