• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to begin? Buying my first ATV.

Powerstroke

Info disclosure- I have never owned or ridden an ATV, period. The closest I've come to having my own anything was buying a riding lawn mower this past year and it was used and I bought from a trusted source so I didn't do too much research on it.

So, I'm going to buy my first atv this year and I have no idea where to begin. I've read through some of the comparison posts on here, but a lot of it talks about them like people who about them. I don't know many of the terms or their importance.

Is there a good source of beginner info like books or magazines that have quality info? How about good dealers that carry a variety of models? I live in the SW metro.

I'm interested in the SXS just because of their versatility, but I've never ridden a traditional SOT atv so I have no idea which pros and cons would matter to me. My main uses will be ice fishing and hunting. I don't plan on trail riding since I don't know anyone else with an atv and I live in the city. My buddy has hunting land and we are getting into food plots so that will be part of its duties. I would like it to be as versatile as possible as I really want to get more into hunting out west and using it for scouting and hunting.

So, where does a newbie begin? I'm sure there are important things to consider that I don't even know are important yet. I may buy new since I don't know anything about working on them yet, but I am considering cost a small factor. I will also be getting a trailer for it, but hopefully something that can haul two atvs in case I find a friend to wheel with.

Wow, just reading your question it really got me to thinking how I went about it.

I went by alot of word of mouth from friends and on here.

I was able to ride some friends wheelers which really helped too.

There is a couple of ATV/off road shows on the outdoor channel that have alot of information.

I would see if you could ride a few either at a dealership or some of us might be able to help.

So many options on each and every brand to even start listing.

Each and every person on here are going to swear by the brand they own.

If you look back several pages I started a topic about dislikes on their wheelers and that was a pretty good tip for advice, it made us all look at what are machines were lacking.

Good Luck.

Approach it as you would with any other large, long term purchase. Make a list of wants and needs and what your main uses will be. Also take into consideration room needed for storage, ease of maintenance, and if you do go for a class 2, if they are legal to use where you plan to use it. There are differences as to where you can operate a class 1 or class 2 ORV. Test drive as many of each as you can, and read and talk to owners as to pros and cons of their model. Try to weed out the ones you don't want for sure to narrow the field.

I'm not sure if you are looking for opinions or not but here are some of the reasons for why I own what I own. Although I know people with SxS vehicles that are happy with them, I personally prefer a single person ATV for its maneuverability, weight and ability to get into tighter places, and generally easier to work on. If you are more prone to having a passenger it might be a better choice, but none of the guys I ride with, my wife or myself, would ever concede control to someone else. Its just plain more fun to be in the drivers seat to me.

Aside from that, most if not all of the brands are pretty good now. Its pretty much a personal preference thing depending on what you want out of it.

I am personally biased toward Honda since they have been so good to me. I've had 13 of them in 34 years, nearly 10,000 miles on my current one and have never yet been back to a dealer for warranty.

Now that you have gotten some really good general advice, I would like to share that I found my first atv on crags list last summer. I use it for hunting and ice fishing, and I absolutely love it! I got a 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450. It is a smaller frame but full powered atv. Trust me, trails or woods...I get through and around stuff that my buds on their big 600+'s can't even try. It will blow you away when you see the kind of stuff you can go through and over. It's a lot of fun. I'm 210lbs, 6ft 2in and I fit very comfortably on this atv, even with a kid, and yes, I know that's not recommended for any single rider Atv.

Winch is a must. Strongly recommend synthetic rope, not wire. I have not had much ice time on it, but will this weekend.

Lots of info out there...let google do it's magic and you'll know all the available features and which ones you care about.

Thanks for the comments, keep em coming. I will be printing most of this stuff to keep with me, but I think it can become a great resource for others who are starting out down this road.

I am a complete novice with this so any and all opinions and info is welcome. Most of my other major purchases have come for things that I knew a little about or had an opinion of what I needed. Since I've never been around them and don't have access to them I am starting from square one.

I will toss out some personal opinions here based on my experiences.

We go riding alot with a nice size group, plus I use mine personal machine for ice fishing, hauling tree stands, scouting and planting food plots.

I have a 2008 Polaris sportsman 500 HO, (carb version).

Positives - Price, plenty of power for me, awesome ride(smooth), big racks and a decent amount of storage. Easy to work on, have had to change a belt and a water pump, both operator riding issues, not machine issues.

Negatives - Heavy, alot of accesories are Polaris Specific due to the rack system, no power steering, feel the winch is on the wrong location(mounts too high).

Other machines I have rode that are in our group and just a positive and a negative. Some of which not sure on the year, but are as new or newer than mine.

2008 Polaris 500 Sportsman EFI (wifes) only difference is the EFI from mine and not much for starting or performance difference to justify the extra money though. I liked the color package foir her, but only came with EFI.

500 Yamaha Grizzly? (Buddies) lots of power and rough ride

700 Yamaha Grizzly (SILaw) light and powerful and has power steering, front end real light-squirrely, another rough ride, tight suspension.

800 Kawasaki Prairie? (daughter)- nice machine but no ground clearance

850 Can Am Predator? Unreal for power and manuerability, spendy too. decent ride, 1 person only!, No seat room.

Powerdstroke, judging by your screen name you have good taste in pickups! wink Anyways, I just sold my 08 yamaha 700 grizzly this last fall. If and when I buy another machine, it will most likely be a yamaha grizzly 700. I bought this machine slightly used, with A LOT of extras on it (500 miles/30hrs) I bought it at the end of 08, when the 09s were out, and i bought it from a local dealer. I paid $7300 for the machine, (Plow, winch, two sets of aftermarket ITP rims and tires, Hand and tumb warmers, windsheild, and it was a Special edition paint job) To buy a new machine tricked out as such would have totaled around $12,000. Like I said, I sold that machine, 3 years later, with 1700 miles on it, for $6500, So, if you are patient, decide what you want, and look around you can find them slightly used for a good buy, A LOT of them out on craig's list, that are barely used. The yamaha i had had adjustable shocks on the suspension, so you could turn them up for when the plow was on and riding in the snow, and turn them down for summer riding. I found the ride to be nice, but I am 250lbs, so that factors into how they ride. I have ran next to a lot of other machines as a lot of us ride together, arctic cats seem to be a good running machine... Polaris is what I have seen broke down most often (Belts are common) And also interesting thing, my cousin has a 500 polaris sportsman, he had problems while riding one day with the machine over heating... Come to find out, the plow mount caused mud to get packed in around the radiator and fan. He took the plow mount off, rode the same muddy atv park again, no issues. The belts I have seen smoked are mostly on 800 sportsmans, and while riding aggressively. I have ran a couple SXS machines, Dad has a 400 polaris, machine is poochy, and kind of uncomfortable for a tall guy to drive long distances, however it gets the job done at a decent price. I have also ran a mule... Kind of the same story on comfort. Most SXS i have seen, or sat in are not very comfortble. I did sit in a can am commander 800 sxs, and it was like sitting in my pickup once I got folded into it, very nice to be able to stretch the legs out... Maybe someday I will get to drive one, they look like a dern fun and powerful machine to ride... Polaris I beleive makes the Razor, or RZR, I cannot remember exactly what its called, but these machines are mean to see run... they are a bit wider, and sit a bit lower, and give them awesome stability! I really don't think you can go wrong with about anything... I have also seen hondas that are still running strong that are 20 yrs old without really being cared for real well! So, Really, do your research, Figure out what you want, and i wouldn't be afraid to buy used... its no different than a pickup... You can tell real quick which ones have been babied, and ones that have been abused, and one that have been used, yet maintained... Good luck!

I have been thinking about getting an ATV myself for awhile and have gone through many of the same questions as I move toward a decision. I currently run a snowmobile, Skidoo Skandic, which in my opinion is the best sled out there for ice fishing use. That said, there have been many times I've wanted an ATV due to low/no snow, ability to use during summer, etc.

Some of the things I've decided are that I'll likely go with a used machine as there are many good ones around at great prices. As to size, I'll likely pick one in the 400-600 size. My reasoning is that the larger 700-800 size rigs seem to be overkill for what I need. As to SxS versus single, likely go with a single due to cost. I have many hours in a John Deere Gator and like them, but don't know if I'd find the seating configuration as comfortable with all my ice gear on (too bulky). Again, price may dictate, but could change. Another thought is that I'm typically alone, so having the 2 seater may be overkill on most days. When I think of reliability, I generally think of Honda. My buddy has an older Honda 300 and that thing runs great. I think my next brand to look at would be Yamaha as I've heard great things about them, though no direct experience with them as of yet. Polaris are ok but like someone else said, I've seen/heard the most issues with them.

Lots of good info here, I'll toss my $.02 as well.

It's good to know what you're planning to use it for, but also think about the future. When I got my ATV it was for pretty specific purposes. Once I got it, I started using it for all kinds of other stuff. From what you have said, I personally think that a 500 would be plenty of machine for you. Would be great for ice fishing and hunting, as well as utility work and trial riding if that should be in your future. You mentioned that you'll be with friends. Do they have machines? If not, maybe you want to consider a 2-up machine so you can have two riders.

Personally, I made a list, and whittled down the possibilities based on that. That made it more manageable when I went out and looked at everything available to me. I test drove lots of machines before purchasing mine. That at least gets you in the seat, but doesn't really imitate real world use. You may want to attend the ATV Fair (May 5-6). Tons of info and you'll be able to look and ride at lots of different machines.

FWIW - After all was said and done, I ended up getting a Polaris 500 X2. I've had it for 6 years now and have been extremely happy with it and have had no problems with it at all. That being said, there are lots of very good machines out there. Look and ride for yourself and get whatever you're comfortable with. Above all - Have fun! smile

Yes, I regaurds to the Polaris comments on here by others and myself, They are still a very nice machine, even if i have seen them have more issues than others, like I said, most of the issues I have seen where from young riders having fun, and pushing the machines. The storage is awesome on them!

Well so far I have had a yahmaha big bear and a honda rubicon. Both were great atv's but the honda is not a great cold starter. I also have a John Deere 825i SxS that I love and would highly recomend. I would say that for most applications I prefer riding the 825i. In the last year I put about 950 miles on the gator and only 150 on the rubicon. My next machine will probably be a gator or ranger. I'm sure you will love what ever you get. Have fun.

I have a 300 Honda ATV and it has its place but is uncomfortable to drive any distance. That said, when it was time for an upgrade I wanted a side by side. My wife wanted to go for rides and didn't want another ATV. After looking at all of them I chose the Ranger 700XP. They all have pros & cons but the Ranger is the only one with a 3 person bench seat. Mine is now 2 years old and has been flawless. I never considered selling the Honda becasue of its small size and manuverablity.

Since you mentioned you're interested in a SxS Andy, I'll stick with commenting on them.

First off with Honda. Many have mentioned Honda's reliability. Although this is with the smaller, single passenger ATVs. I've had a Honda Rincon which shares the engine and transmission with Honda's SxS, the Big Red. IMO, the engine/tranny combo in the Rincon is OK but IMHO is not a good match for the Big Red. Mainly due to the transmission. The Rincon tranny is similar to that in a car with a torque converter and requires a significant warm up period in colder temps since the engine and transmission share the same oil.

Although it bears no significance in the performance, the appearance of the Big Red is an after-thought. I'll admit, I like a machine that looks good and the Red just doesn't trip my trigger.

Now to the Yamaha Rhino. My dad has the 660 Rhino. This has since been bumped to a 700. Good solid machine, good performance and is an absolute work-horse with a locking front differential. On our first outing, my dad ended up stranded and couldn't get the machine to shift into gear. A quick inspection found the shift linkage had fallen apart and luckily the necessary nut and bolt was still laying where we could find it. This was more of an assembly/quality control issue and not representative of the overall quality of the Yamaha product.

One thing that I do find issue with on the 660 Rhino is the cabin noise. The intake is between the driver and passenger and is unbelievably deafening while riding in the machine regardless of speed. I don't know if this has been fixed on newer models or not. Overall, the Rhino is a good machine. Some creative work to dampen the cabin noise would make it a great machine to have.

And now....Can Am. POWER POWER POWER. What more can a person really say. 82hp puts the Can Am Commander at the top of the pack for power. You'll spend a little more for a Can Am and it might come down to a matter of preference if you're willing to spend up to $3000 more for a Can Am over another brand. The Commander does have some very nice features when it comes to storage, accessories and probably the most expensive model in all line-ups with the Commander Limited that carries an MSRP of $20K. But hey, if you want to plug in an MP3, this is your machine laugh.

I've had a Bombardier/Can Am product in the past and will attest to the fact they're one of the premiere machines out there. Common issues I've seen/heard/experienced with them is there always seems to be something electrical going on and past machines in their single rider line up have had over heating issues.

The Polaris Rangers will be the most common machine you'll see anywhere. As with any machine, Polaris will also have their share of issues. Yeah I know, hard to believe right? wink They set the standards in many aspects of the SxS category which many others have copied or have come closer to achieving perfection. You can carry anywhere from 2-4 passengers depending on model and have a host of motor sizes to chose from beginning at 400cc. As was mentioned in an earlier post, Polaris ranks towards the top with Can Am when it comes to storage. When it comes down to available configurations, Polaris can't be beat.

Kawasaki, IMO has probably the best motor out there in their 750 Teryx. I had the 700 version of this motor in my KFX 700 (a.k.a. V-Force until a lawsuit forced the name change). Aside from the motor and 4x4 system, the Teryx is very similar in appearance, durability and functionality of the Rhino. Between the two, I'd take a Teryx over the Rhino for 2 main reasons. Cabin noise and the motor.

I didn't really say too much about the 4x4 systems in any of the machines above so here is a quick plug for each system:

Kawasaki: Has a what I'll refer to as a Progressive locking front diff. The Teryx has a lever in the center console that you pull to determine how much "lock" you want in the front diff.

Polaris: On-Demand 4x4. As the rear wheels slip, the Polaris system will engage the front wheels. However, this isn't a true locking system and it reverts back to 2wd when 4x4 isn't needed.

Can Am: Visco-lok front differential transfers power to the front wheel with the most traction. However, this also is NOT a true locking front diff and takes a split second for the system to actually transfer power.

Yamaha: Has a push button locking front diff. Once it's in 4x4, it's in.

Honda: Has an all-wheel diff. lock in 4wd.

I know this seems pretty long and I probably could have summed this up better than what I did.

Check out the different dealers and take machines for a test drive. I think the dealer in St Boni has 3 of the brands I listed above.

Others I left out were Arctic Cat (not intentionally), John Deere, Kubota, Kymco, CF Moto. Check them out too as you might find what you're looking for with these brands.

Keep in mind SAS or Service after Sale. One of the biggest determining factors when making a purchase this size.

Exactly...my brother used to have a hard time starting his in winter until I told him his had a primer bulb. Starts much better. wink He has to pull a little panel off to access it though, so he leaves that panel off during winter.

I am new to atv, just got a 03 Honda Foreman 450. Awesome so far, real, REAL glad I got it with the lack of snow we have... Got it from buddy, didn't compare anything at all, just bought. No complaints, at all, so far, but I don't have experience to compare to smile

I have used Rangers and Gators while duck hunting. Gators have more comfy seats, but the Ranger allowed us to have 3 guys in front, which was nice - not comfy, but nice for transporting folks. The box on the sxs is great for guns, dekes, stuff, extra people, etc.

Huge difference in size (transporting, storing) between the atv and sxs. If I had land to "Work" I would get sxs first, but if I was using for ice fishing, slight work, some play, the atv works best IMO.

Good luck! Have fun picking! smile

For hunting, fishing and working Personally I would say you cant beat a Honda. I would go with the largest cc rubicon you can get and I think you would be very happy. I have had a polaris, 2 Honda's and 2 Yamaha's. I have a Yamaha Griz right now and really like it but now my trail riding has come to only twice a year and I use it for fishing, hunting and working I am going back to Honda. O yeah you do want efi. Take it for what it's worth.

Pretty sure they do Dave. They'll normally start pretty good with a prime!
Yes it does start good with a push of the primer, but its kink of a pain. I leave the cover off all the time to be able to get at it and need a flashlight and a short stick or something to reach it. It seems like you need to push the primer for anything under 35-40 degrees. It's still a great machine, but to me its a design flaw to need a push stick and a flash light to leave your fish house when you just had it running a few hours earlier.

Thanks for the recap there Lep.

I am interested in the Arctic Cat SXS. I know it more resembles the Polaris in style and ability. I feel like its a little more work oriented than say the Teryx or Rhino. It does have the 3seat bench and I think it is a locking front diff. It is a single cylinder motor too.

At least for right now I'm leaning towards side by side. I will certainly try the traditional atv. I guess the one big advantage I see with the quad is parking it in the bed of the pickup.

Storage and transport are important. My dad has a shop under his garage but the ceiling height is limited, thus the reason he went with the Rhino over the Ranger. The Prowler was the other option but he wanted to keep his business local at the time and the nearest Cat dealer was twice as far as the Yamaha dealer.

One nice thing w/the ATV is you can fit two on a sled trailer. W/ SxS you're gonna need a bigger trailer,maybe even a tandem axle, just for that alone.

To me the purpose of an ATV is to get out on the lakes early and late ice. A SxS is heavier, and sorta contradicts the need for it. Normal years I'd transition right from the wheeler to the truck. This year I'd be even more leary w/ a SxS over the ATV.

I have an 8 yr old Honda Foreman for a second atv, but I really like and recommend the Yamaha Grizzly(either the 550 or 700), especially for ice fishing. Compared to everything else, I found it to have better ground clearance. Lighter weight but still strong. Good auto transmission system(w/ lock diff). Good reliability track record. IMO the best bang for the buck.

Haven't checked out the SxS's, but I know if I went shopping for one I'd be looking at the Yamaha first, just by my experience w/the Grizzly. I didn't care for the AC atv's but maybe their SxS's are better?

Just comparing the Yamahas, a Yamaha 700 ATV is 650lbs stock and the Rhino 700 is 1200lbs. SO yes they are double the weight, but hardly need a tandem trailer.

The AC's weight 750 and 1400lbs. Polaris compare at 775 and 1200lbs. Kawasaki's are 680 and 1430lbs.

Any single axle trailer could handle up to even 2 SXS with a 3500lb axle. Obviously that would be pushing it and I certainly would consider a bigger trailer then, but My intentions would be to have a two place trailer, preferably front to back so I could pull on the trailer with a ATV and trailer or fishhouse attached if needed or share the trailer with another ATV.